Learner driver - Spitfire style

Edit My Images
No
Spotted this beauty at Kemble whilst having a coffee.

small-spit.jpeg

I wonder what it would take to get a flight in a Spit? It can't be just money. Great shot BTW.

Lovely shot. My dad was offered a flight in one if he gave a nice donation over the fly past fee. But he was over the 15 stone wieght limit :(

I'd love to fly in one of those, such beautiful aircraft.

Nice shot too

Although I'd love to have a go in one, the 2 seater is just WRONG!
The only way to get a flight in one, is by invite, where a 'donation' is made. The CAA (AKA the Campaign against Aviation) wont allow fare paying passenger flights as it doesn't meet the criteria!
Lovely shot though, its always difficult to get a nice spinning prop!

Tiger airway seats are reasonably cheap. IIRC Caroline Grace required a "donation" of nearly 4 times that amount! I'm over the limit by 25lbs but would be willing to get rid quick if a flight was an option.

as I understand for a flight in the grace spitfire you used to have to became a temporary shareholder with no rights in the aircraft and it was very expensive. To be honest with you everyone I've spoken to says the Mustang is nicer to fly anyway and there's loads of those with a rear seat and its got the same soundtrack.

CW

I had to splutter my coffee at that comment, Mustang? Nicer? Good god man are you not British?
The only reason the Mustang worked was because the RAF needed a fighter to supplement our own home built efforts. But the original Mustang had a pile of cack under the bonnet, hence the RAF insisting it got merlined, While it may have sounded nicer, and went better, it has no grace or class!

^^^ This!!
Mustang was British designed but original engine was an Alison IIRC. And anyway, it isnt a Spit!

It was US designed to a British spec, which the original bag of spanners failed to achieve.
However, when RR's finest precision engineered lump was lowered in under the bonnet, the game changed and it became a great fighter. No, it wasn't a Spitfire, nor a Hurricane but to be fair, it did a different job, long range fighter, rather than a fighter for home defence.

At which point I would like to remind you all that the best Mustangs were the Packard-Merlin engined examples. And as Mr Maurice Hammond says they were/are the finest of them all and a lot easier to work on!

Back