Critique Learning flash

BMG

Edit My Images
No
After some encouraging results of late, I'm beginning to find enjoyment in taking pictures again. I bought a flash starter kit around this time last year and after several attempts just became very frustrated and contemplated throwing it all in the bin. Anyhow, decided to dig them out and have another go (I now have a slightly better mindset). These are a couple of my 6month old.

Now as I'm sure you've guessed I'm not 100% confident using these, currently trying to work on trial & error. Not sure why but these seem to have a blue hue, however the BG's looked white on my laptop & iPad but not here now I've posted them, hmmmm........

Any guidance as always greatly appreciated

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I like em and cant see much to complain about other than post work to sort the blue out. Really like the pov and softness of light.

Gaz

Agree with Gaz, sharp and good quality. Just need to adjust the colour balance to remove the bluish colour.

These appear to be over exposed, quick fix in Elements if you have it) will sort out the blue cast and adjust the contrast

They're charming, engaging, well taken portraits.

The blue cast is easily fixable if you shot raw.

I don't find them over-exposed on my phone; the skin tones seem about right for a high key image, as do the 'blacks'.

The lighting could do with a bit of work. Two lights at 45 degrees, one either side of the camera, is useful for large groups but I can't think of any other circumstances off hand.

Try one slightly to the side and one in line with the camera, or just one light in either position.

It looks a bit like you tried for totally white background and didn't quite nail it; that'd need different lighting again.

I like em and cant see much to complain about other than post work to sort the blue out. Really like the pov and softness of light.

Gaz
Morning Gary, thank you for taking time to look. I'm pleased with how they came out. Other than the blue hue.

Agree with Gaz, sharp and good quality. Just need to adjust the colour balance to remove the bluish colour.
Thank you Kev.

These appear to be over exposed, quick fix in Elements if you have it) will sort out the blue cast and adjust the contrast
Thank you for replying. I am aiming for a high key look, def need to sort the blue though.

They're charming, engaging, well taken portraits.

The blue cast is easily fixable if you shot raw.

I don't find them over-exposed on my phone; the skin tones seem about right for a high key image, as do the 'blacks'.

The lighting could do with a bit of work. Two lights at 45 degrees, one either side of the camera, is useful for large groups but I can't think of any other circumstances off hand.

Try one slightly to the side and one in line with the camera, or just one light in either position.

It looks a bit like you tried for totally white background and didn't quite nail it; that'd need different lighting again.
Thank you Simon, this is definitely the sort of advice I need. I've tried looking on YouTube for videos to give guidance as to postioning of the lights etc, just tried trial & error & what a professional did when we've had family shoots in the past.

The background is a white sheet, my understanding is you need to light it separately, sadly I haven't the room. At least I don't think I do. Should have done a pull back to show the environment.

The both look great, the expression is priceless and the model is plain cute :) Just the PP to fix the slightly odd WB

Thank you for looking. He is a cutie (totally biased of course) & much more plyible than his two bigger sisters.

With regards to the white balance, I've tried adjusting the White balance using the dropper in Photoshop camera raw using cs5. All that happens is he ends up looking slightly orange, the flash preset seems to get the right skin ones (albeit slightly blue) I've also tried the slider to see if that helps. I also can't seem to get the colour tones to match these either. I'm in the process of recalibrating my laptop to see if that helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll try & post the raw as well. Is it done in the same way?

Thanks everyone.

Laptop screens are harder to calibrate. What calibrator are you using? Do you have access to a screen?

Looks absolutely fine for a bright, flat take. Like Simon has stated, the two lights at 45 is something that everyone starts out with (remember it well) but definitely have a play with just the one off to the side or maybe one above and one at half power, below.

Laptop screens are harder to calibrate. What calibrator are you using? Do you have access to a screen?
Evening, I'm using a spyder 4. I do have a screen but unfortunately nowhere to put it. I had thought about setting it up and taking it down each time. Just laziness. Poor excuse.

Looks absolutely fine for a bright, flat take. Like Simon has stated, the two lights at 45 is something that everyone starts out with (remember it well) but definitely have a play with just the one off to the side or maybe one above and one at half power, below.
Evening Kris, thank you for taking the time to comment. Had a quick change around this evening, totally mis read your post though. I've put one up higher and one to the left with the power turned down. Without seeming to be really dim witted, how on earth do you have a flash head below a baby lying on the floor? I am well aware that sounds sarcastic, genuinely not meant to be. I've seen the picture on your daughter on here and the pictures are fantStic. Didn't comment as couldn't really add to what had been said.

These are a couple I took this evening. Based on my reply above, these are straight from the camera. Have the WB set to flash. They now seem to have a magenta colour cast? I accept the bg looks un tidy. Really to using on trying to understand the lighting first.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ignore the screwed up sheet, the pull back was after we had finished playing, by we I mean me.
image.jpeg

Evening Kris, thank you for taking the time to comment. Had a quick change around this evening, totally mis read your post though. I've put one up higher and one to the left with the power turned down. Without seeming to be really dim witted, how on earth do you have a flash head below a baby lying on the floor? I am well aware that sounds sarcastic, genuinely not meant to be. I've seen the picture on your daughter on here and the pictures are fantStic. Didn't comment as couldn't really add to what had been said.

Sorry, that was a little misleading what I put earlier; the two scenarios I mentioned are the general two set ups most people use, but you are right, for a baby you are not going to get a light underneath, unless you elevate on a beanbag.

The setup shot you've posted is helpful. The front light, which looks like the key from the catchlight, is too high. For a baby, that shouldn't move too much, try getting the key in nice and close, literally just out of the frame. The light on the left is about the right height, just needs tilting up a little, take note of the angle of the bottom of the softbox. Try using just the one light to the side as your key and play with the other one (or a basic reflector) to fill the shadow area to taste. Observe the shadow fall off with the modelling light, the nose should give you an idea as to whether you have the height about right. Having a key light directly overhead is pretty difficult to do effectively without a boom arm.

Last tip is always take a grey card shot at the start, or end, of each session. The lastolite ezybalance is cheap enough and slips into the back of my bag. I do prefer the colorchecker passport but they're a bit of an expensive luxury the ezybalance will give you a neutral starting point - I usually reduce the warmth myself.

And shut those curtains. There's probably a little too much ambient coming in through those windows which will give you a colour balance issue. It looks like you're using the 150W Interfits, can you get f9 @ 1/160? 150W may not be enough to get that without killing that window light. I'd guess that if you shot any slower shutter speed you'll certainly have too much ambient creeping into the exposure.

Thanks for the kind comment, hope some of this helps, it's great fun playing around with all of this.

Last edited:
Sorry, that was a little misleading what I put earlier; the two scenarios I mentioned are the general two set ups most people use, but you are right, for a baby you are not going to get a light underneath, unless you elevate on a beanbag.

The setup shot you've posted is helpful. The front light, which looks like the key from the catchlight, is too high. For a baby, that shouldn't move too much, try getting the key in nice and close, literally just out of the frame. The light on the left is about the right height, just needs tilting up a little, take note of the angle of the bottom of the softbox. Try using just the one light to the side as your key and play with the other one (or a basic reflector) to fill the shadow area to taste. Observe the shadow fall off with the modelling light, the nose should give you an idea as to whether you have the height about right. Having a key light directly overhead is pretty difficult to do effectively without a boom arm.

Last tip is always take a grey card shot at the start, or end, of each session. The lastolite ezybalance is cheap enough and slips into the back of my bag. I do prefer the colorchecker passport but they're a bit of an expensive luxury the ezybalance will give you a neutral starting point - I usually reduce the warmth myself.

And shut those curtains. There's probably a little too much ambient coming in through those windows which will give you a colour balance issue. It looks like you're using the 150W Interfits, can you get f9 @ 1/160? 150W may not be enough to get that without killing that window light. I'd guess that if you shot any slower shutter speed you'll certainly have too much ambient creeping into the exposure.

Thanks for the kind comment, hope some of this helps, it's great fun playing around with all of this.
Spot on, I shall try these points out & post results. I bought the kit just under a year ago & spent the time I've had with it feeling like a petulant child because I couldn't get the results I wanted. I've taking a step back and started to think more. Your feed back is most welcome.

Back