learning

Name
andy
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys, I really am new to all this and i'm trying to feel my way through the enormous amount of tech/equipment out there which I no nothing about. can you tell me what this type of lens is for please?s-l1600JKCKNED2.jpg

It’s a mirror lens https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catadioptric_system , similar to the much larger versions in astronomical telescopes. The main advantage I think was that they could be fairly compact telephoto lenses, but they have a number of peculiarities compared with ’normal’ telephoto lenses.

They are a fairly cheap way of getting long focal lengths. You trade image quality, bokeh quality and much more though.

I don't know if bokeh quality is the right phrase as some people say they like it. I think it's maybe fair to say that the bokeh is more distinctive than a similar focal length non mirror lens would produce. Just to avoid upsetting mirror lens bokeh fans :D

Donuts are for eating... not for the background of photographs!

Donuts are for eating... not for the background of photographs!
If I have told you once, I have told you twice a 1000....................do not sugar coat it! ;)

Just a minor edit, as realised I must have had a tad of brainfade when I first posted o_O:facepalm:

Last edited:
Back