leaving a light on

Name
alex
Edit My Images
Yes
hi there i am wondering if i should leave a light on as i take a shot using strobe lighting the leaflet says to switch off the modelling lights pronto but this seems to knock everything just set up!! as you can see i am a novice i would really appreciate any help from you guys the lights are three 50w strobes thanks once again alex :bonk:

50 W (actually Ws) is an extremely low power output for studio flash but even so, it's very doubtful whether the modelling lights will have any practical effect on the exposure if you leave them on, at any normal shutter speed.

There's an easy way to check. Having measured/guessed the exposure, take another shot with the modelling lamps on but the flash off. If nothing has registered on the sensor/film then the modelling lamp has made no difference.

You must however switch the modelling lamps off when using any restrictive light modifier, e.g. snoot, honeycomb, spotlight

I always leave the modelling lamp switch on for the main light.
My camera is not great at focusing, so I find it helps to have 1 light on to help with this.

Back