Leaving DSLR What Compacts?

james_death said:
What does seam to keep coming up on reviews over compacts is the fact so many can only charge a battery in camera.

Also difficulty of getting spare batteries.

It's hardly a deal breaker, plus I purchased 3rd party battery with charger for Sony RX100

For my 'pimped' RX100 I have

Lensmate 49mm filter system and I keep a polariser and a B&W 10 stop filter on hand.
Richard Franiec grip
External charger - £10 on ebay, charges both my batteries at once!

I'm in a similar situation, I've given up my DSLR due to size and my work requires me to carry a camera everyday so I now have a olympus pen and a G15 however I'm in need of a new camera for this summer when I travel Asia and America could anyone suggest a camera that'd be perfect for several months of travelling?

Krow said:
I'm in a similar situation, I've given up my DSLR due to size and my work requires me to carry a camera everyday so I now have a olympus pen and a G15 however I'm in need of a new camera for this summer when I travel Asia and America could anyone suggest a camera that'd be perfect for several months of travelling?

Fuji X100s
Olympus OM-D
Sony RX100

Riz :)

The other thing about usb charging is that you'll find a USB port anywhere in the world. Proprietary chargers may be neater, but a USB charger is the next best thing to AA batteries. Unless you're in the Antarctic, in which case buy an M7-P.

Last edited:
Anyone that says a compact can't compare to a DSLR in low light, hasn't used an RX100.

In my quest to avoid constantly shelling out for the latest and greatest camera I've recently being dong some empirical testing at home with a d7000, x100, GF1 & 3 and a RX100. The subject has been my kids and the setting indoors - big windows but Scottish winter.

I have to take issue with comment above, given my scenario. There is a very clear difference between all the camera outputs and it is very easy to distinguish between their respective images - I amuse myself by blind testing in LR.

Much as it ails me, as I was a very early adopter of the RX100, there is absolutely no comparison between the images produced by a D7000 and the RX100 in their OOC state. It may that with PP you can get similar results but not straight off.

In descending order of excellence:

D7000/35mm 1.8
X100/23mm 2.0
GF1/3 with Panny 20mm 1.7
RX100 (1.8 -2.8 range)

Of note, when Using flash the results are in the same order but the d7000 and x100 are streets ahead of the others.

And of all the images the RX 100 output is way behind the others.

Just to balance the argument!:)

In sum, I think your best images, VFM and flexibility would come from a 4/3s like the Panny (loads available second hand), although I find myself using my iPhone 4S more and more! And it's truly pocketable!! And there are some great apps to improve the mediocre shot.

(The GF3/14mm combo is pretty compact)

Last edited:
Been pushed towards the LX7.

Just noticed that there also bringing out a tz35 that sounds decent.

However for the totally pocketable camera the Lumix XS1.

Not heavy on features but certainly a carry all the time svelte thing.

Sorry I just don't agree with your assesment of the RX100s low light capabilities!

I don't do 'scientific' tests or pixel peeping, my assesment is based purely on the quality of photos that the kits enables be to produce.

For reference, I have owned : Canon 30D, 5D mk II, Oly E-P1, Panny G1, Fuji X100, RX100, Nikon D5100. In term of pure ability to enable me to take a good shot, the RX100, D5100 and 5DII are all on a par for me. Each with their own portability/cost downsides obviously. The X100 creates lovely images but far too many are wasted through the shoddy AF. G1/E-P1 sensors are terrible above 800 ISO.

I went travelling around Indochina last year with my D5100 and RX100....and the D5100 never made it out of my rucksack. There was never a moment when I thought "I'd better get the DSLR out for this shot".

A couple of examples from the RX100, ISO 3200, the second in particular was astounding, the camera could see better than I could, it was up in the mountains in vietnam and the only light for miles was that little campfire.

DSC00602 by cmashworth, on Flickr

DSC00819 by cmashworth, on Flickr

Anyway, you can argue as much as you like about the noise/low light capabilities of a camera. I would without hesitation recommend the RX100 as a travel companion, several backpacker friends have ditched their DSLRs and swear by them as well.

If you like the user interface of nikon have a look at the p7700...gets great reviews and goes to 200mm.Not quite sony size but still not huge.

I have the P7700. I am very pleased with it. (y)
I let my wife use it at a concert last week. The video, for a compact is very good in my opinion. this is unedited:

http://youtu.be/ySsuRJBsVRs

Excuse the subject...:D

A couple of stills:

775633_524186484279799_1097201167_o by kas10, on Flickr

543814_524179660947148_1612429784_n by kas10, on Flickr

Not bad for a compact set on auto mode.

Kev.

Last edited:
Pretty impressive Kev!..(The fact hes still performing I meant :LOL:)

Some superb shots there from all...(y)

Had a look at the fuji X10 online but they state the raw file format does not like Mac's....:bang:

Went for the RX100 for the wife, size cant be beat, large sensor delivers excellent IQ even in dim light, AF is very fast, nice screen etc. Will do some more testing this weekend but initial thoughts are very positive from a fussy git. Only thing against it is the price but then again theres nothing like it.

Last edited:
Went for the RX100 for the wife, size cant be beat, large sensor delivers excellent IQ even in dim light, AF is very fast, nice screen etc. Will do some more testing this weekend but initial thoughts are very positive from a fussy git. Only thing against it is the price but then again theres nothing like it.

The other thing against it is no hotshoe.

Depends on wether you need one. She doesnt, compactness and IQ are priority, the onboard flash is good enough when required.

No denying the RX100 is certainly slim and really good.

Price can be a deciding factor also.

Great thread this and the more feedback and pictures if possible would make a great resource for anyone considering a change.

Would be good to see this thread still going over years for how the playing field features and prices change over time.

Im sure what is top dog now that in a years time has been superseded yet could by that point be a stunning bargain having read the particular model was very impressive at the time.

Im looking to order from... http://www.procamerashop.co.uk/

Seams reputable i know there is ... http://slrhut.co.uk/?gclid=CNjPm8mRlbUCFSHHtAodHTwABg

Also... http://www.digitalrev.com/shop

Any horror stories any better than the other for making claims if needed.

Since they are Grey's.

Last edited:
I would go with DR out of those or try One Stop Digital. Note, they are all grey importers.

Yes all grey, however delivery and service is my main concern.

Dont wish to wait for something coming from hong kong and still get stung with taxes as may have well gone for uk specific model.

DR and OSD then, very fast and no taxes. Decided yet on which to go for?

Yes all grey, however delivery and service is my main concern.

Dont wish to wait for something coming from hong kong and still get stung with taxes as may have well gone for uk specific model.

Digitalrev got it to me in 5 days with the best communication I've ever had from any company in my life. That says something...

Tracked all the way so I could see where it was any time.

Digitalrev got it to me in 5 days with the best communication I've ever had from any company in my life. That says something...

Tracked all the way so I could see where it was any time.

You Sure your not working for Digitalrev....:LOL:

So was yours in the UK or shipped from Hong Kong.

You do seam to have made a few members of the forum spend yet more money on yet more cameras....:LOL:

Last edited:
Had my LX7 with me tonight.

Took this shot and then edited it just now - f1.7, 1/3s & ISO400. What a credit to it's stabilisation :)

537185_10152504207730305_1936485566_n.jpg

58260_10152504208820305_1264217300_n.jpg

Long exposure:

269290_10152504254160305_1455287963_n.jpg

Edited from RAW:

150853_10152504251035305_1831702622_n.jpg

HDR shots from the auto bracketing:

379311_10152504251755305_1136751809_n.jpg

19095_10152504251895305_1718800386_n.jpg

Highly recommended for service from DR.

I ordered it Saturday and was at the front door before 12 noon Monday.. amazing.

If they do incure charges DR say they will pay them.

Only just started using it and then almost just point and shooting at the minute but great little thing it is.

I've currently got a Canon 5d classic, 40d, 17-40 F4 L , 70-200 F4 L IS, 50mm 1.8, and im just not feeling the love any more for it, I want to do some macro work, also some landscapes from the hexacopter im building, I have shot weddings in the past and some motorsport (although need longer lenses for what i wanted to achieve there). currently, I dont use my cameras much, and when i do, im hating the noise from having to push the iso up, as the older cameras dont handle iso as well as the newer stuff, how does the LX7 and RX100 compare to my current kit, or is there an alternative with interchangable lenses that would be good.

any advice / comments are welcomed.
Thanks
Phil

Not used my cmaera's much recently but here are some from my rx100,

DSC00273%20resized-XL.jpg

72mm, iso 1250, 1/80, f4

DSC00250%20cropped-XL.jpg

89mm, iso 3200, 1/50, f4.9

DSC00465%20cropped-XL.jpg

DSC00450%20resized-XL.jpg

Here are some shots from my Oly XZ-1
<snip>
Some nice ones in there, I'll have to get to a city riverside late one evening! ;)
What iso settings were the muse photo's taken at ? Looks like there was more light around than at the secc.

Some nice ones in there, I'll have to get to a city riverside late one evening! ;)
What iso settings were the muse photo's taken at ? Looks like there was more light around than at the secc.

The night shot is salford quays media city.
The muse shots are
first ISO 400 f3.5 1/10 sec
second ISO 400 f2.5 1/30 sec
They shot in RAW
Muse were great as usual and we were really surpised and pleased with our rear view seats we were at Manchester arena.

Last edited:
Back