LED Light Bulb

Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone please advise where I can get an LED equivalent 100w bayonet fitting bulb in clear i.e without the white plastic base section at a reasonable price. It doesn't need to be dimmable but is for an outside light fitting so will be visible. If not 100W the as close as possible and 》60W

TIA

Toolstation?

I totally agree as I have tried all sorts of led bulbs to replace my beloved old incandescent 100w lightbulbs.

The closest led I have found is relatively dim with a slightly unpleasant greenish cast and costs about £8!

Halogens are much better but almost up to incandescent energy levels.

Tried your local supermarket? I know Tesco carries a range of clear bulbs.

The best ones I have found and cheapest are in home bargains shops .. but beware Xmas stock replaces a lot of lines

Maybe go for a dim red bulb and/or PIR to save the insects :D. I think blue’s OK too.

Edit, no it’s yellow that’s OK too.

Last edited:
Maybe go for a dim red bulb and/or PIR to save the insects :D. I think blue’s OK too.

Hmmmm! a red lamp........that will go down well with the neighbours ;)

AFAIK you can get LED bulbs with various colour temps, so would a 2800k be 'yellow' enough? Either that is Blue is better maybe a daylight 6500k one???
I don’t honestly know. I do think the introduction of LED lights should bring a re-think on how lighting is deployed rather than just making everything brighter/more dazzling - like headlamps ;).

I don’t honestly know. I do think the introduction of LED lights should bring a re-think on how lighting is deployed rather than just making everything brighter/more dazzling - like headlamps ;).

FWIW

I have been buying some LED bulbs from LEDLam

One I bought that I use in my study uses a remote control dimmer with 4 levels of brightness....................plus I can set three colour temps 2700, 4000, 6000 IMO very good for various uses in computer desk area and checking colours on prints under various lighting conditions.

I was hoping to pick one up this weekend rather than wait until 2020 [emoji2]

That may very well make you spend more for less. If you plan in advance 2-3 wks is OK.
I buy a load of them for interior photography to replace crappy mixed bulbs I find there. Somebody finally had some fun in the box so I had re-order a few. Tesco junk would cost me an order of magnitude more, and it's complete junk.

That may very well make you spend more for less. If you plan in advance 2-3 wks is OK.
I buy a load of them for interior photography to replace crappy mixed bulbs I find there. Somebody finally had some fun in the box so I had re-order a few. Tesco junk would cost me an order of magnitude more, and it's complete junk.
That would be true but I only need the one bulb, as it's for a decorative outdoor light

I’m slowly switching out lights all over my house for LED the next ones will likely be my main bathroom which I’m making plans to become a true wet room, and well I’m at it I plan on having 4 flush spots in vs the two B22 lights currently in there for a cleaner look and it will help with the fact it’s a fairly low ceiling

Then the garage is next where the 3 x Double 8ft fluorescents are due to be changed out especially as some recent ill health and them getting left on has made me realise they each use about £10 a month electricity [emoji15]

Last summer as part of a patio overhaul I had the old and out of order flood lights changed out for the modern LED versions

I have phased out all halogen and filament bulbs around the house and are all replaced by LED ones, especially now we can get the 60 watts to 100 watts equivalence as well as dimmable ones. However, I did it over a period of a few months what with bulbs costing around £4 a piece and I have more light fittings than Blackpool Illuminations.
What I have done was to scatter lamps around the room, especially the living room and my hobby room (have four lamps in the latter room) which seem to give a better wash of light as well as making the room that more warm and inviting, I still have "the big" ceiling light but used only to pop into the room to get something.
While my house is somewhat future proofed for now since LED light bulbs have come a long some way in terms of brightness but the one thing I do notice is the 50 hz flickering when I move things around quickly, feels like we have gone back to the days of staring at an old fashioned CRT telly.

Last edited:
Back