LED? video lighting for talking heads in small space (spare bedroom)

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hidy ho neighbours!

I was thinking about posting in the 'Talk Video' section, but I think is more appropriate here.

Here's my dilemma: I'll be recording a whole bunch of talking head & shoulders videos of myself for a weight/fat loss programme. Convenience is important, so I was thinking of getting a HDMI capture device to get a direct output from the Sony A6000 and record in OBS. Audio should be recorded at the same time from an overhead Sure SM57 (I might get a shotgun if this pics up to much of the surroundings) via my trusty M-audio/Avid Fast Track C400. All of this on a MacBook Air.

Currently I've rigged up a LumiQuest LTp onto a bog-standard high-wattage CFL bulb, as an on camera-axis light. I'm feeling this is a little too small for my liking though. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of space (happy to have a spare bedroom in London at all), so I'm not far off the wall and the A6000 is about at arms-length @24mm (so ~35mm full-frame equivalent).

Here's a nice un-groomed, tired shot of my mug with the lighting.

PICT_20170111_225727.JPG

Besides the small size of the LTp softbox, I was also hoping for a bit more power. And thus I was looking for LED panels, as they are relatively shallow. Problem: couldn't find any with decently sized softboxes (I was thinking 60cm+) and the mono-light styled lights clock in at £500+ and would need a lot of room for a mounted softbox.

I'm mostly hoping to tap into product knowledge. I've done some research (just looked at Aputure), but I'm finding it hard to find something that fits size requirements.
  • Any advice on an HDMI capture device? Apparently, I should stay away from Elgato and Black Magic Infinity is the bees knees.
  • In a similar vein: any recommendations for simultaneous video/audio recording? OBS is obviously popular with gamers and streamers. And it is open source.
  • Anyone know of an (affordable LED) panel with softbox? Or a monolight solution that could fit into a small space?
  • I'd also be grateful for microphone boom stand recommendations
  • And whilst we are at it, has anyone tried this strange Phot-R combi-boom-stand?
Many thanks!

No need to spend anything like that much. There are plenty of decent LED panels around on eBay, etc. Some of the really cheap ones may not have the best CRI, or the densest arrays, but you can get something that's suitable for this for a fraction of the price of that Pixarpro.

Softboxes aren't really used much with video lighting. An LED panel isn't going to fill one properly anyway. I'd consider using the panel bare, or just shooting it through a diffusion panel (white sheet, basically the front of a softbox, but cheaper, more flexible and takes less space - a two quid shoot through brolly would be similar).

You've got a couple of China balls in the room already, have you tried using one of them as your key light? Stick a decent wattage daylight balanced bulb in there and you should be good to go.

re. recorders, Atomos make a decent range from affordable, to less so. I've not used anything else to compare, but they're pretty easy to get along with.

re. the mic stand, do you need to change it? It's not like the mic is moving anywhere, or you're bouncing around the room (unless you are?), so I'd think it should be fine on just about anything that will hold it still.

No need to spend anything like that much. There are plenty of decent LED panels around on eBay, etc. Some of the really cheap ones may not have the best CRI, or the densest arrays, but you can get something that's suitable for this for a fraction of the price of that Pixarpro.

Softboxes aren't really used much with video lighting. An LED panel isn't going to fill one properly anyway. I'd consider using the panel bare, or just shooting it through a diffusion panel (white sheet, basically the front of a softbox, but cheaper, more flexible and takes less space - a two quid shoot through brolly would be similar).

You've got a couple of China balls in the room already, have you tried using one of them as your key light? Stick a decent wattage daylight balanced bulb in there and you should be good to go.

re. recorders, Atomos make a decent range from affordable, to less so. I've not used anything else to compare, but they're pretty easy to get along with.

re. the mic stand, do you need to change it? It's not like the mic is moving anywhere, or you're bouncing around the room (unless you are?), so I'd think it should be fine on just about anything that will hold it still.
Thanks for your comment, James!

I should probably say that I don't mind to spend a bit of cash to avoid hassle. I know I could probably do all my recordings with the current equipment in the room. Just use the A6000 as is and curse whilst using the PlayMemories app. Use the Zoom H1 on the rubber tripod, wrapped around a mangled-reflector holder, and sync audio in post. But it will be quite a nuisance to do so.

I don't want to break the bank, but a bit of quality equipment is probably going to make the job easier to do :)

Nevertheless, I'll give the chinese lantern a try. I just don't have a good way of fixing it to the light.

Hah, so this spiralled a little. If UPS hadn't absolutely screwed me over, I'd have my lights already. One will be a panel, the other will be S-mount.

Current equipment list, in case anyone is interested:

PIXAPRO LED100D MKII Daylight Balanced LED Studio Light with 90CM Umbrella Softbox & Stand (Improved Colour) https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/pr...o-light-with-90cm-umbrella-softbox-and-stand/
PIXAPRO Professional Heavy Duty Century Boom Stand https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/product/pixapro-professional-heavy-duty-century-boom-stand/
PIXAPRO® LECO500 LED Video Light https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/product/pixapro-leco500-led-video-light/
PIXAPRO 5-in-1 Collapsible reflector (80x120cm) https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/product/pixapro-5-in-1-collapsible-reflector-80x120cm/
Impact Telescopic Collapsible Reflector Holder https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005GMV4CU/
Konig & Meyer Over Head Microphone Stand https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000WR5HE/
Mogami MGAES0500BL Cable (5 M) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mogami-MGAES0500BL-Cable-5-M/dp/B00PDZF01Q/
AmazonBasics High-Speed Mini-HDMI to HDMI Cable - 3 m / 10 Feet (Latest Standard) https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-Mini-HDMI-HDMI-Cable/dp/B014I8UHXE/
Neewer Set of Four Black/Orange Heavy Duty Sand Bag Photography Studio Video Stage Film Sandbag Saddlebag for Light Stands Boom Arms Tripods https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Photography-Sandbag-Saddlebag-Tripods/dp/B00MHNMXCQ/

I also plan on getting a Blackmagic Intensity shuttle.

I think a shallow table would make things easier to prop up the camera tripod, laptop, audio interface and HDMI capture device. Any recommendations on (maybe height-adjustable) trestles? I was thinking of going all Ikea, as their table tops are also quite cheap.

Last edited:
Another short update. UPS finally managed to ring my door bell on the 6th (!) attempt yesterday and delivered my lights.

I also decided against the HDMI capture route for now and got a Tascam DR-60 mkII for audio recording. A Aputure VS-2 FineHD field monitor had to go back because (a) the start button didn't work consistently and (b) the contrast on this screen is just unmanageably high. I might just prop a PC monitor onto a stand for monitoring for now.

The room is now full of stands. :D

IMG_20170124_155839.jpg

Ok, managed to plug the HDMI out into a bog-standard screen via a DVI adapter. It's a bit distorted as it's a 1200p screen, but what the hell.

Word of caution, the Tascam DR-60 goes into a record ready mode when pressing the record button only once. Only a second button push starts the actual recording. The preamps are good enough for my SM-57, which needs a lot of gain, and whatever noise floor is left after normalising is dealt with by Audition quite well.

Here's another screen-grab of my un-groomed mug at a wonderfully wide 16mm of the Sony kit-lens. The lights are quite close and pump out a fair deal of light, so f8 at ISO100.

screengrab.jpg

The barn doors on the Pixapro LEC500, which I believe is a Godox panel, are non removable and therefore a little annoying - they restrict rotation within the mounting cradle. And thanks to my ridiculously low ceiling (~2.35m) and because I'm no shorty either (1.85m) they they sometimes stick into the frame. I actually wanted an Aputure Amaran HR672, but couldn't find a decent seller in the UK (edit: oh yes, now I remember, it was about double the price).

The 90cm Octabox was part of a deal for the Pixapro 100Dii. The light performs well, but has some fan noise. The softbox is a little too large for my room, but again that's my room's fault.

I think I'll have to roll out the grey-card to sort out this red-cast I'm getting. Or maybe my face is just red... :D

hmm, I think I'll also have to raise the camera further up from chin-level. Not digging this nose-hole glory look.

Last edited:
Back