Lee Big Stopper vs Kase 10 Stopper... The evidence

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I went on a recent Kase demo morning with the specific objective of comparing the Kase 10 stop with my Lee Big Stopper.

I've never been overly impressed with the Lee filter as I have to dial in anything up to +2500K and +17 tint in PP to get the results looking anything like natural. And the amount od correction depends on the light conditions at the time.

Well, below is the proof of a like for like test. i think the result speaks for itself and I'm hoping Father Christmas will be kind to me and put a Kase in my stocking.

9F8FF7D6-9293-4AA8-A7F9-42E5A0D5B407.jpeg

I went on a recent Kase demo morning with the specific objective of comparing the Kase 10 stop with my Lee Big Stopper.

I've never been overly impressed with the Lee filter as I have to dial in anything up to +2500K and +17 tint in PP to get the results looking anything like natural. And the amount od correction depends on the light conditions at the time.

Well, below is the proof of a like for like test. i think the result speaks for itself and I'm hoping Father Christmas will be kind to me and put a Kase in my stocking.

View attachment 262929

That is some serious difference. I’ve not had chance to take my Kase 10 stop out yet. Did you notice any difference in sharpness between them?

The Lee Big Stopper's blue cast is intentional. Just dial it out in post processing and all colours are good.

The Big Stopper was one of the first really dark ND filters to cut infrared as well as visible light and the blue tint helped with that. IR pollution has always been a major problem with very dark NDs, producing uncorrectable colour casts. Lee has sold tens of thousands of Big Stoppers, there was a long waiting list and used copies were changing hands for more than new.

The Big Stopper is made from 'old tech' dyed glass but the newer 'evaporated-metal' technology is much better, inherently more neutral, pretty much immune to IR pollution and more accurate in terms of the marked density.

Most manufacturers now produce evaporated-metal ND filters, including Lee.

Should you have to though. While adjusting for a colour cast is reasonably straight forward once you have established the amount to adjust for every image it’s a PP step you shouldn’t have to do. Lee have brought out IRND filters so assume that’s as a response to the old tech giving a cast

Back