Lee Filter Fix

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Bought a used Lee GND a couple of months ago which has a slight bow in it. Should have really returned it to MPB when I bought it as it was supposed to be excellent, butt it was a bit of a last minute panic buy before a staycation.

It fits in my filter holder but it’s a real squeeze and a bit of a pain getting in and out.

I‘m wondering if anyone has any ideas for a fix to straighten it out.

Bought a used Lee GND a couple of months ago which has a slight bow in it. Should have really returned it to MPB when I bought it as it was supposed to be excellent, butt it was a bit of a last minute panic buy before a staycation.

It fits in my filter holder but it’s a real squeeze and a bit of a pain getting in and out.

Try putting under some heavy books for a couple weeks.

Maybe worth soaking in boiling water for a while before continuing as Trevor says

The optical quality of the filter will be compromised by any bending or distortion that is applied.
Send it back for a refund as it is not fit for purpose.

Plastic fantastic will pretty much always affect iq, but if bent it's another level. The only filter I would accept would be made out of premium multi coated glass (upto 100mm, nothing for longer). I always do manual multiple exposures blending these days to ensure I retain full control and best image quality.

It's concerning the amount of complaints on this forum about MPB. As others say send it back for a refund and advise them you will be updating this forum with the result!

Thanks for the suggestions. Too late to send it back, as I said should have done so when I got it but was a bit of a last minute buy and felt I could work with it.

I’ll perhaps try the hot water treatment and a couple of heavy books. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Thanks for the suggestions. Too late to send it back, as I said should have done so when I got it but was a bit of a last minute buy and felt I could work with it.

I’ll perhaps try the hot water treatment and a couple of heavy books. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I wonder if you could try Lee and ask their advice.........heat affected plastic filters I surmise are not a rarity and would hope they might have a FaQ to reply with?

Looking at the physics of material expansion, I think a differential temperature approach would be better than the hot water suggestion which is simply softening the filter.

The warmer side will expand more than the cooler side so I would suggest sandwiching the filter between two solid surfaces, one warm and one cold. The warm surface should be applied to the concave side with the cooler surface to the convex side. Leave the whole thing to cool slowly to relieve the stresses and let the weight flatten it out.

Back