Beginner Lee Filters...Noob questions

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Apologies for a few silly questions, hope someone can help. I've tried searching online and couldn't get the info I was after, however I'm unsure if that is to do more with the way I worded my searches...

I've been looking into getting some Lee filters to get me started, and I remember once someone told me to look at the Seven5 system. Well I found a supplier near me and they have the Seven5 system, but also the 100mm system.

Can someone possibly explain to me the difference between the two? I'm really :runaway:about it all!

Secondly, I was looking at new lenses (future purchase) and I note that some said 'Takes filter 67mm' and one said '77mm'. My other question based on that is, are these different filter sizes, or is that the adaptor ring they're talking about?
I understand you get an adaptor ring to screw onto the lens, then the filter holder clips on to that and the filter slides into the holder, so are they referring to the size of the ring itself, or is the filter actually a different size??

Sorry if these seem a bit daft, I was looking online and getting a bit muddled!

Thanks in advance,

'67mm' etc refers to the diameter of the filter thread on the front of the lens. You can either fit a 67mm round filter, or a 67mm adapter for a 100mm system like Lee. 100mm system filters are either 100mm x 100mm squares, or (e.g.) 100mm x 150mm rectangles if it's something you need to slide up and down (like a grad). The idea is that with appropriate adapters a single filter can be used with most common lenses, which will have filter sizes well below 100mm.

Last edited:
100mm system is used with DSLRs and the Seven5 system is generally usedfor mirrorless cameras. The Seven5 filters will be to small for DSLR lenses.

You will need an adapter ring for each lens thread size you own eg. 67mm, 72mm or 77mm. You’ll need the filter holder kit and then your choice of filters.

Thanks for the replies both, that's really helpful!
I'll definitely be looking at the 100mm set, and probably 2 and 3 stop filters, along with a big stopper (always wanted one), and itll just be a case of working out what size adaptor ring I need!
Now to do more research on when to be using hard/soft etc, along with lots and lots of other things :banana:

Last edited:
100mm system is used with DSLRs and the Seven5 system is generally usedfor mirrorless cameras. The Seven5 filters will be to small for DSLR lenses.

You will need an adapter ring for each lens thread size you own eg. 67mm, 72mm or 77mm. You’ll need the filter holder kit and then your choice of filters.
at a basic level seven5 are 75mm and the 100 are 100mm. The filter needs to be big enough for the lens. in theory you can get a 75mm to cover a dslr but if you want a single system for all your lenses then its preferable to use the largest system you would need for your largest lens.

If you can hang on the photo show is on at the NEC in late March and Lee will be exhibiting

100mm is the way to go. Your info says your main camera is a Nikon D7000 which if correct or you are still using a DX body then I would suggest looking at the hard or medium edged grads. The transition on the soft grads will almost certainly be too great on a crop body imo/e.

As for adapters that is the easy bit. Each lens will have a filter ring size such as 67mm or 77mm just get an adapter for the the given size, so if you are going to be using filters on a lens with a 67mm filter ring size, that is the size of adapter to get. You need to decide whether you need the wide angle version of a standard version. On a crop body I'd suggest anything with a focal length wider than 12mm would need the wide angle adaptor - for fx I'd say anything wider than 18mm (it can vary but these are a decent general start point) - bear in mind the wide angle adapters cost more (much more).

at a basic level seven5 are 75mm and the 100 are 100mm. The filter needs to be big enough for the lens. in theory you can get a 75mm to cover a dslr but if you want a single system for all your lenses then its preferable to use the largest system you would need for your largest lens.

If you can hang on the photo show is on at the NEC in late March and Lee will be exhibiting

Thanks mate. With the show, do they sell kits then and there, or is it more to look at what they have, have a chat and place and order? I saw someone online say they ordered and it could take up to 20 weeks.. (I'm unsure if that's standard practice or just his luck that time!)

100mm is the way to go. Your info says your main camera is a Nikon D7000 which if correct or you are still using a DX body then I would suggest looking at the hard or medium edged grads. The transition on the soft grads will almost certainly be too great on a crop body imo/e.

As for adapters that is the easy bit. Each lens will have a filter ring size such as 67mm or 77mm just get an adapter for the the given size, so if you are going to be using filters on a lens with a 67mm filter ring size, that is the size of adapter to get. You need to decide whether you need the wide angle version of a standard version. On a crop body I'd suggest anything with a focal length wider than 12mm would need the wide angle adaptor - for fx I'd say anything wider than 18mm (it can vary but these are a decent general start point) - bear in mind the wide angle adapters cost more (much more).

Correct, I still have that body, and lens is currently the 16-85mm. I want to buy a more purposeful landscape lens, but was going to make sure I was improving and it was a justified purchase first lol. So on my crop body, with a 16-85mm, a standard adaptor should be fine?

Another daft question.. from the research I have done on lunch and youtube videos I've watched, I have gone over the hard, medium, soft grads, etc, and I understand that now and the reverse grad, but my question is... if you were to go out on a nice day, not necessarily extremely sunny, but wanted to take a photo of a sea scape, blurring the water over time... would you need the 'standard' filter at like 3 stops or so, so you restrict light across the whole photo, not just darken the sky? Or would you use the big stopper for that?

Apologies if that's daft, this filter thing appears a nightmare I'm starting to understand...

Another daft question.. from the research I have done on lunch and youtube videos I've watched, I have gone over the hard, medium, soft grads, etc, and I understand that now and the reverse grad, but my question is... if you were to go out on a nice day, not necessarily extremely sunny, but wanted to take a photo of a sea scape, blurring the water over time... would you need the 'standard' filter at like 3 stops or so, so you restrict light across the whole photo, not just darken the sky? Or would you use the big stopper for that?

Apologies if that's daft, this filter thing appears a nightmare I'm starting to understand...

The filter holder will usually take 2 filters by default so you would put a ND filter closest to the lens and then a Grad on the outer slide. You can also add additional slides so you could have three filters if you wanted but you have to be careful when using 3 filters with a wide angle lens.

As mentioned above if you are shooting with a crop body then forget the soft grad. Get yourself a medium and a hard or very hard.

The filter holder will usually take 2 filters by default so you would put a ND filter closest to the lens and then a Grad on the outer slide. You can also add additional slides so you could have three filters if you wanted but you have to be careful when using 3 filters with a wide angle lens.

As mentioned above if you are shooting with a crop body then forget the soft grad. Get yourself a medium and a hard or very hard.

Got it? I think, ha!
So if I wanted to do a day shoot for a few seconds, have a 3 stop nd for the entire shot, and a grad behind that for the sky etc?

Really appreciate the help and info!

Got it? I think, ha!
So if I wanted to do a day shoot for a few seconds, have a 3 stop nd for the entire shot, and a grad behind that for the sky etc?

Really appreciate the help and info!

Yes, although you’d usually put the nd grad in the front. And the nd behind (closest to the lens)

I agree with Elliott above. But will add that the density of the ND filter will, combined with aperture, determine how blurred the water becomes, from a small amount through to totally milky. Each has their merits and it is rarely personal preference. I rarely use the big stopper, more often use the little stopper, but even more often use a 3 stop ND ...

And yes, you are correct in how you would use the filters in your last post. ND in front though.

Another thought, your 16-85mm lens is perfectly capable for landscapes, don't get caught up in the must have an ultra wide angle lens for landscapes. Just about any lens can be used for landscape photography.

Yes, although you’d usually put the nd grad in the front. And the nd behind (closest to the lens)

Thanks mate, I think I meant the same as you, just worded it wrong lol. I mean, behind as in further away from the lens, sitting behind the first filter!

I agree with Elliott above. But will add that the density of the ND filter will, combined with aperture, determine how blurred the water becomes, from a small amount through to totally milky. Each has their merits and it is rarely personal preference. I rarely use the big stopper, more often use the little stopper, but even more often use a 3 stop ND ...

And yes, you are correct in how you would use the filters in your last post. ND in front though.

Oh wow, okay. Appreciate the info. I may avoid it for a bit and see how I get ok with some 3 stops... when would you use it? I saw some vids online and the big stopper looked awesome... maybe it’s a preference thing but I don’t want to bother if it’s rarely used!

Wondering if I should start with:

3 stop ND
3 stop grad hard
2 stop grad hard

And re the lens, I agree. I won’t be upgrading for a long time, wasn’t just thinking long term really

Thanks mate. With the show, do they sell kits then and there, or is it more to look at what they have, have a chat and place and order? I saw someone online say they ordered and it could take up to 20 weeks.. (I'm unsure if that's standard practice or just his luck that time!)
The Lee filters guys will give you all the info on their product. If they do quote 20 weeks then there will be retailers there like Wex etc who would probably have 5-7 day lead time. It depends on the products of course. Some of the more technical glass might take longer. But their ND filters are usually readily available.

The 3 stop ND is probably my most used ND filter but that is what works for me. It is a good starting point imo/e though. And I'd agree with the two grads as well.

Lee run filter workshops from time to time so may be worth contacting them and finding out about them (no idea of cost or if they cost).

One thing to think on, is to look at a variety of images where NDs have been used (here, flickr, 500px etc) and decide which style you prefer a couple of examples to show what I mean (not the greatest images but that isn't the reason I'm posting them) ;

Both taken on a Nikon D810

Lee 3 stop nd (2 sec @ f/11 @ 18mm 100 iso)
Portland_D810-0392 by Paul, on Flickr

Lee big stopper (185 secs @ f/11 @ 18mm 64 iso)
Portland_D810-0371 by Paul, on Flickr

As you can see they give very different results.

I’d suggest getting wide angle adaptor rings for your lenses. They will help reduce the risk of vignetting when using 2 or more filters together. Another thing is, you can save some money if you intend buying a 3 stop hard ND grad as it can double up as a conventional 3 stop ND as well, just slide it right down in the filter holder. Save you buying the 3 stop ND.

That site is amazing. I can't believe how much easier it made things! Thanks mate!

The Lee filters guys will give you all the info on their product. If they do quote 20 weeks then there will be retailers there like Wex etc who would probably have 5-7 day lead time. It depends on the products of course. Some of the more technical glass might take longer. But their ND filters are usually readily available.

Ah wow okay, i'll have to check dates and see if I'm free. I have found a supplier who is actually less than a 5 min drive from me, found him on the Lee Filter website, so that's handy! I can drive and have a look myself.

The 3 stop ND is probably my most used ND filter but that is what works for me. It is a good starting point imo/e though. And I'd agree with the two grads as well.

Lee run filter workshops from time to time so may be worth contacting them and finding out about them (no idea of cost or if they cost).

One thing to think on, is to look at a variety of images where NDs have been used (here, flickr, 500px etc) and decide which style you prefer a couple of examples to show what I mean (not the greatest images but that isn't the reason I'm posting them) ;

Both taken on a Nikon D810

Lee 3 stop nd (2 sec @ f/11 @ 18mm 100 iso)
Portland_D810-0392 by Paul, on Flickr

Lee big stopper (185 secs @ f/11 @ 18mm 64 iso)
Portland_D810-0371 by Paul, on Flickr

As you can see they give very different results.

Love your photos, I see what you mean though. I think I prefer the first picture more. I will think on it, as I did see some photos on videos online whereby the 10 stopper was used, and I loved those photos too.. I need them all ha ha.

I’d suggest getting wide angle adaptor rings for your lenses. They will help reduce the risk of vignetting when using 2 or more filters together. Another thing is, you can save some money if you intend buying a 3 stop hard ND grad as it can double up as a conventional 3 stop ND as well, just slide it right down in the filter holder. Save you buying the 3 stop ND.

Please can you possibly explain the first point to me, with the vignetting... what happens if you have a standard adaptor and use two filters? It affects image quality?

BTW I've just decided to sell my 100mm system. All basically brand new. It's in the classifieds section. It would save you some money from buying brand new.

Love your photos, I see what you mean though. I think I prefer the first picture more. I will think on it, as I did see some photos on videos online whereby the 10 stopper was used, and I loved those photos too.. I need them all ha ha.
Thanks, they are ok ... as for preferences, some people really have mastered how to get the best from the big stopper and produce outstanding work, have a look here - many of his images are using the big stopper - http://www.jeremywalker.co.uk/web/index.php/galleries/landscapes

The vignetting that another poster referred to is mechanical vignetting which can sometimes happen when stacking filters (applies no matter what way you use them btw). Again there are no hard and fast rules, but ime stacking two filters and using polariser hasn't vignetted at 18mm on FF (equiv of 12mm on DX). However on that lens I would have been using a wide angle adapter.

Do they do any worthwhile discounts at the show? I've noticed some online stores do 10% off on Black Friday and in after Christmas sales (probably other times too). When you look at the prices of used filters on ebay, they cost nearly as much as they do new.

Thanks, they are ok ... as for preferences, some people really have mastered how to get the best from the big stopper and produce outstanding work, have a look here - many of his images are using the big stopper - http://www.jeremywalker.co.uk/web/index.php/galleries/landscapes

The vignetting that another poster referred to is mechanical vignetting which can sometimes happen when stacking filters (applies no matter what way you use them btw). Again there are no hard and fast rules, but ime stacking two filters and using polariser hasn't vignetted at 18mm on FF (equiv of 12mm on DX). However on that lens I would have been using a wide angle adapter.

Wow, that guys photos are insane!
I think I need to buy some of the filters discussed above, the adaptor ring and holder, get a shutter release cable that locks, and then get out and try it all out! I will be poor at the start but will learn I’m sure!

Wow, that guys photos are insane!
Yep he's pretty good :)

I think I need to buy some of the filters discussed above, the adaptor ring and holder, get a shutter release cable that locks, and then get out and try it all out! I will be poor at the start but will learn I’m sure!
Well if you are ever up in North Devon, let me know - I'd be happy to show you the ropes so to speak.

I have the 100mm Lee system, which I bought as a kit containing 2 ND grads and a sunset grad as well. I also have the 10 stop & 3 stop filters.

The reason you always fit the "stopper" closest to the lens is that it seals out any light between the two, a grad filter can then sit in front.

Using the "sunset" grad can be useful to combine with the ND grad, as below.

DSCF0126-HDR by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I shoot with Mirrorless these days, but still need to run the 100mm systems as my widest lens has a filter thread greater than 70mm.

Please can you possibly explain the first point to me, with the vignetting... what happens if you have a standard adaptor and use two filters? It affects image quality?
Basically, it means that the edge of the image will show as black in the corners because the filters are far enough away from the lens that they encroach on the field of view of the lens. This is particularly true with wide angle lenses. The wide angle adaptor sits further back on the end of the lens so the filters are much closer to it and less likely to interfere with the shot.

Yep he's pretty good :)

Well if you are ever up in North Devon, let me know - I'd be happy to show you the ropes so to speak.

Where abouts in N Devon are you from? And how often are you out doing landscapes??

I have the 100mm Lee system, which I bought as a kit containing 2 ND grads and a sunset grad as well. I also have the 10 stop & 3 stop filters.

The reason you always fit the "stopper" closest to the lens is that it seals out any light between the two, a grad filter can then sit in front.

Using the "sunset" grad can be useful to combine with the ND grad, as below.

DSCF0126-HDR by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I shoot with Mirrorless these days, but still need to run the 100mm systems as my widest lens has a filter thread greater than 70mm.

I love you’re photo, lovely colours!
Thanks for the info on filters. The more I speak to people the more it makes sense to me!

it is probably worth mentioning also that the lee big stopper is notorious for producing a colour cast, it is easily corrected in post processing but it should be noted. I recently bought myself a 10 stop and opted for the slightly dearer formatt-hitech firecrest one because that doesn't have the same cast issues (i personally can't be bothered having to correct it afterwards and never get it quite right anyway based on past experience with cokin nd grads). I think i paid 105 at my local camera shop in chester which seems to be cheaper than the bigger shops are selling them for currently, but the lee can usually be bought for about 90 online. The hitech is a 100mmx100mm filter too so is fine working with the lee filter holder.

No idea on nisi sorry other than seeing them in thomas heaton videos

Thanks for all the amazing replies everyone. I feel like I actually understand the filters a bit more now and what it is that I need to start looking at. When the weather turns a bit better, i shall be out practicing that's for sure!

Are they a similar quality brand, or more of a beginner set? (Not being rude, just don’t have a clue!)
very similar, no colour casts either.
a few suppliers out there, I got mine through Phil Norton Photography, top man and prompt service.

Last edited:
So with the lee filters would you recommend maybe the basic 6 as the Little, Big ans Super Stoppers ND and the 0.3,0.6 and 0.6 Grads?

So with the lee filters would you recommend maybe the basic 6 as the Little, Big ans Super Stoppers ND and the 0.3,0.6 and 0.6 Grads?

I would say that the foundation or DSLR starter kit, along with one of the ND filters would be a good start. That's what I did, and added the little stopper a bit later.

Another thought, your 16-85mm lens is perfectly capable for landscapes, don't get caught up in the must have an ultra wide angle lens for landscapes. Just about any lens can be used for landscape photography.

My first foray into the digital DSLR world was a D7000 and 16-85mm, I hankered for a wider angle but eventually realised the lens I had was more than adequate, in fact I think it's a very underrated lens that's capable of an awful lot.

Back