Lee Filters which ND Grad

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I am getting a Lee Filter kit but which ND Grad Filter do I need for Landscaps soft or hard which strength? Also which ND filter do I also need to get which strength all for Landscapes and water falls etc.

Cheers

Strength depends on the contrast between sky and land - you will need more than one.

Hard or soft depends on whether you will have perfect lines for horizons or if they will be interupted - you may need both.

Can I recommend you read The Photographers Guide to Filters by Lee Frost, you'll understand what you need and why a lot more

I got a soft 0.6 which is fine in some situations but not enough in others. It's not quite strong enough when the sky is bright. I'm going to get another couple - a 0.9 soft and 0.9 hard and those three should suit me.

I got a soft 0.6 which is fine in some situations but not enough in others. It's not quite strong enough when the sky is bright. I'm going to get another couple - a 0.9 soft and 0.9 hard and those three should suit me.

What about a ND Filter are they needed as well as the ND Grad?

I've never found myself in a situation where I thought "Gosh, I wish I had an ND filter with me".

ND grads, now that's another matter. I have a 2stop hard and a 1stop hard. I use them both about equally. I find I can get great skies with the 1stop in conjunction with a polariser.

I'm wondering whether a ND soft grad might be useful as well. As I use both the 1 and 2 stop hard grads equally often, I'm thinking I might go for a 1.5 stop soft grad. I think Lee make them.

That's my line of thought. Hope it helps you make your mind up.

Hi. .6 and .9 hard grad filters (2 and 3 stop) are useful. In landscape work they are often used to balance an area of the shot. The .3 is more for subtle adjustment, although I do use one, often in conjuction with one of the others.
The standard ND range I find useful for increasing exposure, without causing an adjustment of aperture.

Each location and scene are different so its not a matter of which i e hard or soft, its waying up the location as you will need both and its not a matter of which one as you need to calculate which one to balance the bright part of the image with the normal part. You can use the grads duplicated and in reverse if you want to slow water down or better still its knowing how your camera works.

LesF

Joe Cornish suggested, if you have to have either hard or soft grad, go for Hard. I've got soft only. And happy with that. I went for the set .3 .6 and .9 I rarely use the .3, mostly the .9 and .6.

Let me bring this thread alive rather than starting another

What Adaptor ring should I get Standard or Wide. I guess Wide is only for Full Frame Dslr am i right. Will the standard be on on my Canon 40D on the 17 - 40 L

you will need the wide, anything under 30mm on 35mm will need it so your 17mm if on cannon will equate to approx 27mm

you will need the wide, anything under 30mm on 35mm will need it so your 17mm if on cannon will equate to approx 27mm

Even on a crop sensor?

From what I understand yes as they say anything under 30mm on full frame so FOV on a crop sensor for 17 mm is still less than 30mm on crop sensor

Get the wide, although they cost more - the reason they do is that they are machined individually as they are very thin.
George

Back