Beginner lee filters

carmot

Suspended / Banned
Name
john conlin
Edit My Images
Yes
hi going to try hd filters buying lee type exsp but reviews are good but i see they come in different sizes my lens is a sigma 10 20mm have £300 so would you buy a kit or buy separate at the moment I photograph anything and every thing

You'll want the 100x150 size plus the wide angle adapter ring to fit whatever filter thread that lens uses other wise you'll get pretty bad vignetting. I think it's 77mm from memory, but check first.
Do you want ND's or ND grads?

I thought big and little stopper if I have enough and later a grad or would you suggest a different way thanks

I'd start with either big or little, not both until you get used to it. Maybe get a 0.9 grad as well and add a 0.6 when you can afford it.
My kit is a big stopper, 0.6 and 0.9 hard grads. I used to have a full set of softs too, but never used them, as well as a 0.3 hard, which again I never used.

Hi, JMO. But if you have not used these kind of filters before why are you trying to run before you can walk?
Try something like the Cokin filters to get started then when you no what you want to do and can use them go for the Lee.
Lee road is an expensive road if you take a wrong turn and decide you do not want to travel it!!
Russ

But on the other hand you could sell the lee for very little loss in what you paid for it.

thanks see both sides so is there a great deal of difference between lee and other makes by what I have read yes so do I get lee and just 1 or two filters or more of a cheaper make I understand I am only a beginner and a mountain plus to learn hence the post there must be other people who have been in the same predicament

If you're set on Lee then buy Lee- anything else and you'll be questioning the kit, rightly or wrongly. As you're looking at big and little stoppers then I would suggest going with the w/a ring and holder and one or the other of the filters to start and see how you get on- I see the big stopper is in stock at amazon and wex. If you get into it then you can decide if the other filter adds anything or if a different type, eg nd grads might help add something.

Good luck

Lee are the best by far - and, as someone else said, they hold their value well. If you can pick them up used and look after them then you'll easily resell at same money if you decide they aren't for you. I had Big Stopper, 0.9, 0.6 and 0.3 soft grads. Sold them all when i bought a 14-24 and sold my 16-35. Regretted it ever since. Have since picked up a used BS and plan to acquire the LS and maybe a 0.9 soft grad (really the only one of the soft grads I ever used regularly).

I'd say if you are looking to buy Lee filters then you aren't really a beginner. Maybe buy one Kood, Cokin etc filter first and see how you get on with it?

I disagree - I still regard myself as a beginner when it comes to many aspects of my photography, but when it comes to trying something new, I'm ready to listen to the experience of others and take advice on buying the best kit (not always the most expensive) that I can afford for that new experience. Lee are generally regarded as the best, and for good reason. If the OP can afford to buy Lee (used or new), then they should go for it. He's already said that he has a £300 budget - that's more than enough to get going. There was a used Big Stopper on the Classifieds very recently for £65 - a bargain. And I recently bought and then sold a Lee wide anagle adaptor for £18 - they are £40 new from Wex!

^^ plus 1. If you have the money for Lee, then you should buy Lee. Why spend money on something you will only have / want to replace again later.

I have wasted £100's if not £1000's buying second best due to lack of budget, only to sell it at a loss to upgrade after a short while. Now if I can't get what I want immediately, I just wait until I can.

Keep an eye out for used Lee filters. I picked up a few here that where advertised a having slight scratches for around £30. The scratches are so light, they make no difference whatsoever to the image.

Last edited:
^^ plus 1. If you have the money for Lee, then you should buy Lee. Why spend money on something you will only have / want to replace again later.

I have wasted £100's if not £1000's buying second best due to lack of budget, only to sell it at a loss to upgrade after a short while. Now if I can't get what I want immediately, I just wait until I can.

Keep an eye out for used Lee filters. I picked up a few here that where advertised a having slight scratches for around £30. The scratches are so light, they make no difference whatsoever to the image.

I agree with this 100% I too wasted a lot of money on cheap filters, I now have a comprehensive set of Lee filters which were acquired over a period of about five years some new some used, money well spent I think
as for where to start get a copy of Lee's own book Inspiring Professionals this is a very good guide to the affects each filter has, my copy is quite old and does't feature the stoppers but the current edition should the Lee website is well worth looking at too.

Good Luck and have fun
Regards Bob

I have and have needed many times the following:-

Lee Filter System
0.6 Soft
0.9 Soft
0.6 Hard
3 Stop
10 Stop

I also recommend the 105mm CPL that screws to the front of the Lee filter holder.

You'll also need to stack them.

Ok, the 10 stop is bit of a fun luxury for me, but hey!

Just to add, hitech 150 x 100 mm are just as good as Lee, and are a little cheaper.

Personally, Lee, Marumi and Singh Ray would be my brand choices when it comes to filters. If you have spent top dollar on a lens, then the bit of extra glass at the front needs to be in the same league.

Back