Lee Glass Filters and Airport Security?

Edit My Images
No
Hi, I am planning a trip to the US in a couple of months and taking my gear with me. This includes some Lee ProGlass 100mm Filters. Can anyone tell me if they have ever had an issue taking these in their hand luggage?

I have heard of cases where things like the Rocket Blowers are confiscated as they appear similar to grenades! I would rather take the filters in hand luggage for obvious reasons, but just wonder if anyone has had any problems travelling with them...

Any info appreciated, thanks.

you'll be fine with filters. Rocket blowers do kind of look a bit grenade-y...filters are obviously nothing nasty as there's nowhere to hide anything!

Biggest issue i've had with airport security is how little regard they have for your valuable kit, nearly had lenses roll out a tray when they go to test for explosives, and had a loaded lowepro knocked off the conveyor once. Plus how often they like to split your trays up, and send one bunch of kit one way and another the other. Always go with valuables phone/keys/wallet/camera kit in one, coat/shoes/watch in the other tray, least I won't lose anything I can't replace in duty free then.

Just make sure they are well protected and the filter bag wrapped in a towel possibly with bubble wrap and a card stiffener. That way they remain intact and unbroken.

No real difference to taking sunglasses or spectacles made of glass.

broken, sharp glass could be a weapon of assault.

Just like the 2+lb clubs you can buy airside and convert to a sharp weapon with relative ease...

I have never had a problem traveling to the US or traveling around it

Just like the 2+lb clubs you can buy airside and convert to a sharp weapon with relative ease...
About 10 years ago I purchased a didgeridoo as a gift airport side at Sydney airport. I got on the plane fine in Sydney but whilst trying to reboard at Hong Kong after the 90 minute stop over 2 Chinese police guards pointed their automatic guns at me thinking I was planning to hijack the plane with it! Thankfully one of the air stewardesses sorted it out and I wasn't arrested. It did make the British couple behind me laugh but quite scary as I had no idea what they were shouting at me whilst guns pointing at me.

Now tripods and the like always go in the hold luggage along with anything that is not lenses or cameras. Not sure I would trust glass filters in hold luggage though.

About 10 years ago I purchased a didgeridoo as a gift airport side at Sydney airport. I got on the plane fine i but whilst trying to reboard at Hong Kong after the 90 minute stop over 2 Chinese police guards pointed their automatic guns at me thinking I was planning to hijack the plane with it! Thankfully one of the air stewardesses sorted it out and I wasn't arrested. It did make the British couple behind me laugh but quite scary as I had no idea what they were shouting at me whilst guns pointing at me.

Now tripods and the like always go in the hold luggage along with anything that is not lenses or cameras. Not sure I would trust glass filters in hold luggage though.

:D:D like it

you are right about putting glass in hold luggage on my last trip one of the guys in our group put a 70-200 F4 in his hold luggage it was broken when he unpacked at arrival :(

Hi, I am planning a trip to the US in a couple of months and taking my gear with me. This includes some Lee ProGlass 100mm Filters. Can anyone tell me if they have ever had an issue taking these in their hand luggage?

I have heard of cases where things like the Rocket Blowers are confiscated as they appear similar to grenades! I would rather take the filters in hand luggage for obvious reasons, but just wonder if anyone has had any problems travelling with them...

Any info appreciated, thanks.

You'll be absolutely fine . I've worked in security for almost 14 years and have never seen any issue's with rocket blowers, filters or anything like that . Occasionally camera bags get checked because they can be busy/dense and certain objects are hard to decipher but nothing else .

Back