LEE Reverse Grad Filters

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Just checking if anyone has had a chance to try any of the new Lee Reverse Grad Filters yet?

Looking on their video advertising the reverse grads, there seems to be quite distinct steps of gradations and was wondering if that would show up on an image. Other makers reverse grad filters seem to be quite smooth in the transition areas as are the standard grads from Lee. I was really interested in getting one of the Wolverine reverse grads from Kase but they tell me they have no stocks in the UK until November.

You can create your own by using 2 normal grad filters. put them in opposite ways into your Filter holder until the grad parts cross over. If you use a .3 and a .6 you put the .3 bit over the land, the .6 bit over the sky/clouds and the doubled bit would be .9.

I regularly use my Formatt Hitech RG for seascapes

You can create your own by using 2 normal grad filters. put them in opposite ways into your Filter holder until the grad parts cross over. If you use a .3 and a .6 you put the .3 bit over the land, the .6 bit over the sky/clouds and the doubled bit would be .9.

Quite a while ago, when I asked about reverse grads, Lee told me that's the method they used. I tried it and couldn't get it to work, it seems so simple I think I'll give it another try.

Havng tried the 2 x grad filters technique and that convinced me to buy a Hitech RG, wish I had done it earlier, wouldn't be without it now.

Thanks for the reply Steve. I gave the two grad filter technique a try again yesterday and just couldn't get away from hard lines on the image.

That's what I've been doing since day 1. Very effective.

Quite a while ago, when I asked about reverse grads, Lee told me that's the method they used. I tried it and couldn't get it to work, it seems so simple I think I'll give it another try.
I seem to remember Lee stating many years ago that they wouldn't be making RG because of the difficulty in manufacture. Obviously changed their mind on that thought :)

I seem to remember Lee stating many years ago that they wouldn't be making RG because of the difficulty in manufacture. Obviously changed their mind on that thought :)

I had a similar conversation with one of the long term employees at Lee Filters. He said to me that reverse grads were an interesting idea but they weren't the solution for the type of scenarios they are now showing. The technique of using two grads with one upside was the method quoted.

The two grads method is a lot more flexible as you can use both hard and soft grads together.

One would suspect that Lee have gone down this route as they are possibly losing ground to the competition!!!

Going back to the OP's original question.
Probably worth noting that in the video it is suggested that the Lee filter is designed for wide angle lenses.
I suspect if used with longer focal lengths the banding from the dipping process that Lee use might well be visable.

Going slightly off the point, I've seen different videos showing how Lee dip their filters by hand, does anyone know how other manufacturers do theirs to achieve their reverse grads?

Going slightly off the point, I've seen different videos showing how Lee dip their filters by hand, does anyone know how other manufacturers do theirs to achieve their reverse grads?

My gut feeling is that they are sprayed on, but I don't know for certain, just a guess.

I heard from Hitech that they produce their graduated filters in two different ways:

"The resin graduated filters are dyed in some hot tanks while the Firecrest glass versions are coated using the latest coating technology and this uses nano layers of metal compounds." They also added they were afraid that they could not provide any other information on the methods used due to the company confidentiality policy.

Last edited:
Just checking if anyone has had a chance to try any of the new Lee Reverse Grad Filters yet?

Looking on their video advertising the reverse grads, there seems to be quite distinct steps of gradations and was wondering if that would show up on an image. Other makers reverse grad filters seem to be quite smooth in the transition areas as are the standard grads from Lee. I was really interested in getting one of the Wolverine reverse grads from Kase but they tell me they have no stocks in the UK until November.

I've been using the Lee reverse grads for a few months and they are excellent, the graduation doesnt show at all in the images... review here https://www.justinminns.co.uk/blog/2017/10/10/lee-filters-reverse-nd-grads

Nice blog Justin, I'm trying to justify another couple of filters in my bag and more ££££ as opposed to using a .6 and .9 together.

None of this stuff is cheap is it?! I guess it comes down to whether you need a reverse grad or whether you have filters that can do the job

None of this stuff is cheap is it?! I guess it comes down to whether you need a reverse grad or whether you have filters that can do the job

Totally agree, but buying wisely and once is the way for me now. Being more a sunrise man its probably my next little investment as I don't have a proper system to deal with it unless I bracket in camera. When you were testing them did you feel one of them was being used more than the other?

I am in the market for replacing my current Hitech 2 and 3 stop reverse grads and these look pretty good. I do however like the idea of going with either Nisi or Kase as they are glass and the reason I am changing is due to scratches on the resin filters!.

They all seem to be about the same price bracket so that's not really a factor

Totally agree, but buying wisely and once is the way for me now. Being more a sunrise man its probably my next little investment as I don't have a proper system to deal with it unless I bracket in camera. When you were testing them did you feel one of them was being used more than the other?

I used the 0.9 the most but at the time I only had the 0.9 and 1.2. Now I've also got the 0.6 but haven't had a chance to use it yet... if I were to only have one I'm pretty sure I'd go for the 0.9

I am in the market for replacing my current Hitech 2 and 3 stop reverse grads and these look pretty good. I do however like the idea of going with either Nisi or Kase as they are glass and the reason I am changing is due to scratches on the resin filters!.

They all seem to be about the same price bracket so that's not really a factor

I haven't used Kase but the Nisi grads I was sent to test weren't really any tougher than resin, the coating marked very easily. That said, it didn't affect the IQ but then it would take a pretty serious scratch to make any difference on the resin ones imo.

With the great sunset that we had in Derbyshire last night (Tuesday) I gave the 'Overlapping Two Filters' method another try. .9 Hard ND on the top half and .6 Hard ND on the bottom half. I would have preferred to use a .3 on the bottom but didn't have one available.

Not got around to checking the images yet as there are so many but this is an I-phone shot of the set-up with the two Lee filters in place.

Ashover by Mike Swain, on Flickr

I haven't used Kase but the Nisi grads I was sent to test weren't really any tougher than resin, the coating marked very easily. That said, it didn't affect the IQ but then it would take a pretty serious scratch to make any difference on the resin ones imo.

Yeah, the scratches I have are pretty deep and obviously these filters are used prodiminatly for shooting in to the sun which causes the scratches to create streaks and strange flair marks.

Interested to hear you think the Nisi would be no more durable. My current standard grads are all Lee and I am more than happy with them so perhaps I will stick with what I know and proven quality.

I used the 0.9 the most but at the time I only had the 0.9 and 1.2. Now I've also got the 0.6 but haven't had a chance to use it yet... if I were to only have one I'm pretty sure I'd go for the 0.9

Thanks Justin, will have a little think about this now, I cant justify all three as I wouldn't use them enough. I feel bad enough conning myself into the mist filters and haven't seen anything yet to use them :crying:

I have the hitech two stop and swear by it! But I’ve heard you get a colour casting when used with Lee grads! I’ve not found it but hey ho

I have the hitech two stop and swear by it! But I’ve heard you get a colour casting when used with Lee grads! I’ve not found it but hey ho

I agree with that Mark. My 2 stop reverse (Hitech) has been brilliant whether on its own or combined with Lee grads. The 3 stop on the other hand gives a pretty bad magenta/purple cast on its own!!

I agree with that Mark. My 2 stop reverse (Hitech) has been brilliant whether on its own or combined with Lee grads. The 3 stop on the other hand gives a pretty bad magenta/purple cast on its own!!

Thats interesting, had been thinking of getting a 3 stop as have been very happy with the 2 stop (Hitech) and never noticed any colour cast at all, even on grey days which would normally show one more than with colourful sunrises. Might have to have a rethink now.

Thats interesting, had been thinking of getting a 3 stop as have been very happy with the 2 stop (Hitech) and never noticed any colour cast at all, even on grey days which would normally show one more than with colourful sunrises. Might have to have a rethink now.

I am not sure if they do a firecrest version of the reverse grads, in which case they may be better, but the 3 stop standard Hitech I have does tend to give the clouds a very heavy purple tinge which I do have trouble removing to a satisfactory level in LR.

From the reviews I have seen and from people I have met, the Nisi and Kase stuff seems exceptionally neutral and optically brilliant. Only seen reviews from Lee sponsors so far but I have no doubt their reverse grads will be fantastic too.

Following on from Pete's post about using two filters together to create the reverse grad, I had another go at it. I used a .9 hard grad for the top half and a .6 hard grad for the bottom half, both from Lee. I would have much preferred a .3 for the bottom half but didn't have one available.

We've been treated to a couple of really great sunsets in Derbyshire recently. This one, a six shot panorama was taken on Tuesday evening just above the village of Ashover, looking towards Matlock.

Red Sky At Night by Mike Swain, on Flickr

I bought, a Lee Filter 0.9 reverse grad, the other day, looking forward, to giving it a go.

Following on from Pete's post about using two filters together to create the reverse grad, I had another go at it. I used a .9 hard grad for the top half and a .6 hard grad for the bottom half, both from Lee. I would have much preferred a .3 for the bottom half but didn't have one available.

We've been treated to a couple of really great sunsets in Derbyshire recently. This one, a six shot panorama was taken on Tuesday evening just above the village of Ashover, looking towards Matlock.

Red Sky At Night by Mike Swain, on Flickr
That good looks good Mike.

Using the 2 grad filters allows you to change the size of the reverse grad bit. I have not seen a reverse grad in the flesh so I do wonder what size the grad bit is, or are they available in different sizes.

I have seen sunsets like that on the Somerset coast over the past couple of months when I have been down there, but not with my DSLR or filters.

That good looks good Mike.

Using the 2 grad filters allows you to change the size of the reverse grad bit. I have not seen a reverse grad in the flesh so I do wonder what size the grad bit is, or are they available in different sizes.

Now I've got the hang of it, I think that's the whole beauty of using two filters Pete, being able to change not only the width of the band but the density too. The Lee RG I've seen seems to have a sharpish cut off point at the bottom end and on all the different densities, the band width is the same. I'd probably describe it as 'broadish'.

I've just taken delivery of a Lee Reverse 3 stop, and it looks just like the product photos that left me a little concerned. The dark band, which presumably is intended for a bright horizon, seems quite thick and doesn't fade off for just over an inch before appearing to fade off. I dare-say it would probably double-up as a 3 stop hard edge on some lenses which can't see the fade off at the top, though Lee does recommend at least 24mm focal length for the reverse ND filters. Guess i need to get out and use it :)

Thanks for sharing Alan. Lets us know how you get on with it.

I've just taken delivery of a Lee Reverse 3 stop, and it looks just like the product photos that left me a little concerned. The dark band, which presumably is intended for a bright horizon, seems quite thick and doesn't fade off for just over an inch before appearing to fade off. I dare-say it would probably double-up as a 3 stop hard edge on some lenses which can't see the fade off at the top, though Lee does recommend at least 24mm focal length for the reverse ND filters. Guess i need to get out and use it :)

Four years on , how have you found it? I took delivery of a Lee reverse grad today and had the exact same concerns about that strange banding.

Back