Left Handed Camera

Edit My Images
No
It's there such a thing as a left handed camera. Curious as my son shows an interest but would need a left handed one.
Quick search hasn't returned anything useful.

I've never come across such a thing. In film days of old, pre 1970s, there were some cameras with unusual arrangements of shutter release and wind-on lever, but these days I think all are standardised to the right-hand side of the top plate for most buttons and dials. I think it's really a case of adapting to what's available

I've never come across such a thing. In film days of old, pre 1970s, there were some cameras with unusual arrangements of shutter release and wind-on lever, but these days I think all are standardised to the right-hand side of the top plate for most buttons and dials. I think it's really a case of adapting to what's available
Adapting wouldn't be an option, would have to be usable with the left hand. Starting to think the only option would be a mobile phone camera, maybe a small pocket camera like the RX100 that you could grip differently.

I would suggest using either a cable release or IR release with a right handed camera.

Adapting wouldn't be an option, would have to be usable with the left hand. Starting to think the only option would be a mobile phone camera, maybe a small pocket camera like the RX100 that you could grip differently.
Wasn’t there a long thread here about that. It’s more a problem for people with only one hand/unusable right hand which I think the discussion centred on.

Wasn’t there a long thread here about that. It’s more a problem for people with only one hand/unusable right hand which I think the discussion centred on.
Wouldn't surprise me if it's a topic I started and I've forgotten, dread to think what my memory will be like as I get older.

Hold it upside down...

:rolleyes::)

Hold it upside down...

:rolleyes::)
Did think of that, have you tried it, the way it's held you still can't really work the buttons because your hand doesn't turn upside down.
I'll keep looking. I just keep seeing things that I never thought of using with only one/your left hand, as my son grows up now and more things stand out.

Did think of that, have you tried it, the way it's held you still can't really work the buttons because your hand doesn't turn upside down.
I'll keep looking. I just keep seeing things that I never thought of using with only one/your left hand, as my son grows up now and more things stand out.

Rather than upside down, a gripped camera (with additional trigger release) could be shot in portrait mode with the left hand, shutter release would be on the bottom rather than the top and would have to thumb opertaed. You'd have to try to see if you can actually hold the camera reliably in this manner.

Obviously tripod mounted any camera could work, but that would mean that every shot would be on a tripod, limiting depending on photographic genre.

Pistol Grip seems like a good solution though (post above)

I made exactly the same comment about most cameras being right handed ( I had smashed my right shoulder and was forced to use a point and press upside down to put the buttons in the right place, as the camera had no EVF and I found the right way up blocked the back screen, it was a bit of a faff when I started to use my Sony as I had to set everything up then turn the camera upside down with a big chance of me dropping it , maybe that's a possibility. There also the possibility of making your own grip with a shutter button fitted to it bolting it to the tripod socket. If using a mobile phone the Bluetooth ones can be had for a couple of quid and then maybe use a bit of sticky Velcro to attach it. Here's the thread are all cameras right handed

Last edited:
I’m not sure if it would be suitable or not, but would something with a touch screen suffice if he could make all the required changes on the screen? It would open up a lot of options as an awful lot of cameras are touch screens these days. The ones I’ve had have allowed touch shutter too so wouldn’t have to use a shutter on the right of the camera at all.

I’m not sure if it would be suitable or not, but would something with a touch screen suffice if he could make all the required changes on the screen? It would open up a lot of options as an awful lot of cameras are touch screens these days. The ones I’ve had have allowed touch shutter too so wouldn’t have to use a shutter on the right of the camera at all.
Possible I had considered my old mobile phone for starters. The grips suggested above seem the best ideas though.

Back