left handed cameras

If you look at the right hand drive conversion of a lot of french cars, its not much different to the pumpkin camera on the previous page from a build quality POV anyway. they don;t move the pedals across, then leave them on the left and use extension bars to get them to the right, a bit like gaffering a remote shutter release on the left hand side of your camera!!!

I can't really see what functions on a camera are actually advantageous to right-handed people? I "hold" my camera with my left hand mainly (supporting camera and lens etc). My left hand is where most of my technique in keeping the camera still comes from and my most important arm & hand in the whole process.
As for the rest of the camera controls, apart from the shutter button, they move from side to side depending on camera model anyway.

For the record... i'm ambidextrous in a strange way. I can't do everything with my right or left hand but some things i have to do left-handed and some things right. I'm definitely left-handed with photography and i'm glad it's my left hand that holds my big lenses. My right hand is fine with pressing the shutter button and other unimportant operations :)

whether right handed or left handed we have just adapted to work the equipment that is available to us
Time for Mr Dyson to design a camera perhaps

There was a left handed camera made in the 1980's, by Yashika if I remember but it didn't take off.

perhaps you are all to set in your ways time for a revolution in dslr design
I bet you all miss your morris minors lol

There was a left handed camera made in the 1980's, by Yashika if I remember but it didn't take off.

in the 80's ergonomics wasn't in the Oxford English dictionary surely it was nothing more that a brick with the shutter button on the left

They were a good band...

[YOUTUBE]t8a9Jx8WVJA[/YOUTUBE]

Perhaps we're being more realistic about the increased cost of production - it's not as simple as left/right hand drive cars, as has already been explained. Ad to that the fact that most lefties are happy with current cameras, it looks like you've found an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I'am ambidextrous or confused :shrug:

Write left hand
pool left hand
kick left foot
punch left hand
eat right hand
saw left and right hand
golf right hand
pick my nose left and right hand:D
cricket right hand
swimming left and right hand and legs:D

But for the life of me can't use my right eye to look into the camera:bonk:

There are, of course, other reasons for wanting a left-handed camera than just being left-handed... some people only have a left hand. I'm not so unlucky, but I did have a bad accident that seriously compromised my right hand. I had a Sony DSC-P200 at the time, and found I could just about use it one-handed. When I dropped it I bought a Canon Ixus 210, simlar size and touch screen which made it a lot easier. As things got a bit better, I find I can bend my right hand middle finger just enough to press the shutter on a few cameras of just the right size. Luckily I discovered the X10 which is just right! It's not so easy with my aged Pentax ME, though.

I do recognise that we're unlikely to get left-handed cameras, though, for the reasons given above. In addition, left-handed people (my sister is one) do tend to be quite adaptable, particularly where the dexterity requirement (no pun intended) is low. I'm guessing that if caed with (say) a 50% premium on price, they would mostly opt for the right-handed version!

Rebel t3i said:
I would pay a bit extra for a camera like the 7d if it was available as left hand drive

Define "a bit", bearing in mind what you are essentially asking for is a completely new camera, that would probably only share a small quantity of interchangeable parts with a normal 7D.

I reckon the costs of redesigning/tooling up would probably mean "a bit" would equate to at least 100% more, given the tiny potential customer base....

You miss my point cameras are what I describe as right handed meaning you grip it with you right hand a design allowing the user to grip with the left hand leaving the the right hand free may be advantageous to right handed people not only left

The cost of designing developing and mass producing cars is massively greater that the costs of doing a mass produced camera

Rebel t3i said:
You miss my point cameras are what I describe as right handed meaning you grip it with you right hand a design allowing the user to grip with the left hand leaving the the right hand free may be advantageous to right handed people not only left

The cost of designing developing and mass producing cars is massively greater that the costs of doing a mass produced camera

We're not talking about a mass production camera though, rather one with a very limited potential market for which the amount of reengineering would make it, in effect, a new model.

so do you think the cameras we currently have are the perfect design as a result of evolution I think there is room for many an improvement
some form of design for the left had to hold or support the camera would be great imo
i would quite like it to be fairly symmetrical having a grip on the left side too.
having to hold a 5d or 7d for any length of time in your right hand only is not easy
how much better would it be if you could switch hands
I think it's time for a bit of innovation for our money

Last edited:
To swap hands while carrying, just grip it around the lens. If you're shooting, most of the weight should be on your left hand anyway.

Proper technique of holding a camera is holding and supporting with the left hand anyway? One hand should be under the camera and cradling the lens in the established "proper" technique. I'd much rather it stay as it is so you can get used to it rather than chopping and changing.

Like i said in my previous post, i like the fact that the cradling/lens supporting hand is my left hand.

If you're taking all the weight on your right hand, there's something wrong with your technique in my opinion :shrug:

so do you think the cameras we currently have are the perfect design as a result of evolution I think there is room for many an improvement
some form of design for the left had to hold or support the camera would be great imo
i would quite like it to be fairly symmetrical having a grip on the left side too.
having to hold a 5d or 7d for any length of time in your right hand only is not easy
how much better would it be if you could switch hands
I think it's time for a bit of innovation for our money

Proper technique of holding a camera is holding and supporting with the left hand anyway? One hand should be under the camera and cradling the lens in the established "proper" technique. I'd much rather it stay as it is so you can get used to it rather than chopping and changing.

Like i said in my previous post, i like the fact that the cradling/lens supporting hand is my left hand.

If you're taking all the weight on your right hand, there's something wrong with your technique in my opinion :shrug:
I am referring to the non picture taking mode ie you are walking round with it in your right hand only
I miss my morris minor lol

so just me that thinks the eos range could benefit from a ergonomic redesign
I'm sure in time when a new sales boost is required they will come up with a revolutionary new shape they could continue to produce the old model for the morris minor men:LOL:

I don't think there's any such thing as a left or right handed camera. By design they're pretty much bidextrous no? I mean, it doesn't take a great deal of dexterity to use the controls or hold it does it?

It's a bit like asking for a left handed TV remote control where the numeric buttons are mirrored to that of a standard one.

I'm sure in time when a new sales boost is required they will come up with a revolutionary new shape they could continue to produce the old model for the morris minor men:LOL:

I think you should send Canon some design ideas and a few sketches. "The Homer mk1". :D

Rebel t3i said:

Not at all, the ergonomics of Canon's dslrs are woeful, however this had nothing to do with anything sinister.....

I don't think there's any such thing as a left or right handed camera. By design they're pretty much bidextrous no? I mean, it doesn't take a great deal of dexterity to use the controls or hold it does it?

It's a bit like asking for a left handed TV remote control where the numeric buttons are mirrored to that of a standard one.

nothing to do with the button layout
a tv remote is left or right handed to hold
a grip on the left would be advantageous imo
I bet you all hate dyson hoover too or should i ask your wives :LOL:

How about one of these? Its an ambicam......

bf7f727e74fc3d658c5526a6a4b65daa_0.jpg

Allan

What about those of us that are both?!!! I am left handed when I shoot my bow, right handed when I was in the Army on the ranges( no left handed SA80's) right handed when I use my camera and can play guitar left or right! When I started archery a lot of new bows where CNC machined for right handers and when enough were sold a mould was made for us left handers! Robin Hood never had this problem I'm sure or was he a secret leftie?

Last edited:
I'am ambidextrous or confused :shrug:

Write left hand
pool left hand
kick left foot
punch left hand
eat right hand
saw left and right hand
golf right hand
pick my nose left and right hand:D
cricket right hand
swimming left and right hand and legs:D

Same here and this is because you are also left eyed http://www.sciencemadesimple.co.uk/page37g.html (y)

Has anybody thought about having a camera with the controls underneath for short people like me?

To all those using LHD cars as an analogy... You do know that they're still exactly the same control set, just on the other side of the car? They don't make LHD cars just for southpaws, you know!

Reminds me of the old practical joke where we convinced a mate they made a left handed motorbike and we sent him down to DK in Stoke to see one...

Btw, left handedness is often associated with creativity and artistry/ musicality because of the right brain dominance. Don't worry about the camera, lefties have a photographic head start!

Konica made a left hand shutter release for the F range. Screwed into the electronic remote shutter release which was located on the left of the camera. Think a lot of them were modified into sockets for a plunger cable release though so probably not many around anymore.

Countries that has RHD cars.

United Kingdom,
Ireland,
Isle of Man,
Guernsey,
Jersey,
Malta
Cyprus.
Australia,
Bahamas,
Brunei,
Barbados,
Hong Kong,
Jamaica,
Singapore,
New Zealand,
Bangladesh,
India, (HUGE population!)
Pakistan,
Sri Lanka,
Malaysia,
South Africa
Trinidad & Tobago
Thailand,
Indonesia,
Bhutan,
Nepal,
East Timor
Japan.
Guyana
Suriname
Samoa

In fact, most of the Pacific countries drive on the left, in line with Australia and New Zealand.

Last edited:

I find controls and buttons not a problem, but as soon as I put my left eye to the viewfinder, my nose and the right-side of my face gets in the way of the rear controls - especially the little 'joystick' button and rear-dial found on the back of the 50D (and other Canon models).

Back