Critique Lego with and without PP

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
So im still a newbie and my PP skills are pretty lacking. I thought my pics straight from the camera were pretty washed out and dull but I now think thats only the case when working on the RAW file in lightroom rather than the JPG from the camera. This shot was taken as part of week 52 - smoke, camera used is a nikon D90, WB auto.
I did think the second image looked quite good but now seeing them side by side the whites are much whiter in the first. I would upload the RAW if people wanted to have a go for even more comparison but it wont let me.

Any critique, help, pointers etc much appreciated

Here are two pics for comparision
first straight jpg from the camera so not cropped or anything
lego camera-1 by devonD90, on Flickr

Second is after PP/crop etc
Week 5 - Smoke-1 by devonD90, on Flickr

I am not 100% sure what you are asking, but for what it's worth I much prefer the second image to the first. The colours in the second image look much warmer, which I like, and the crop and vignette look good to me too.

If you want the whites pure white (to be pedantic, light grey) then you will need to adjust the white balance.

I am not 100% sure what you are asking, but for what it's worth I much prefer the second image to the first. The colours in the second image look much warmer, which I like, and the crop and vignette look good to me too.

If you want the whites pure white (to be pedantic, light grey) then you will need to adjust the white balance.

Thats the thing in the first the white is white (or atleast to me), but the rest of the colours look washed out to me, when i seem to get some colour back into the image my whites change to a grey usually lol. Im not sure if its me being over fussy with the sooc image but like it said a lot of my images sooc just seem really washed out. Probably not making much sense hard to explain.

I like the final one. Yes it's a tad warm but it coincides with the firey theme.

I was aiming for the evening/sunset type glow but again compared with the first image the ground looks really grey compared with the brown in the second.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think what im trying to achieve is vibrant colours and white whites SOOC rather than having to adjust everything in lightroom but i also think im probably expecting to much if that makes sense and exceeding the limitations

Last edited:
i like the 2nd one. only thing missing is a pan and a fish on a stick toasting.

Back