Leica film users.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Any Leica owners here using R series cameras.
I'm looking to get an R8 or R9 in the near future and was just curious of individual experiences.

In truth, any horror stories about reliability/functionality would make interesting reading.

I have R6 and R7. Both have been trouble free.

They are quite heavy compared to other manufacturers and the lenses are pricey of course.

I have R6 and R7. Both have been trouble free.

They are quite heavy compared to other manufacturers and the lenses are pricey of course.

Tell me about the lens prices. I wanted the 90 f2 but short of a lottery win I'll have to be content with dreaming.

I have an old 90mm f2, it's very well worn but functions fine. It is a heavy lump of a lens!

I have an old 90mm f2, it's very well worn but functions fine. It is a heavy lump of a lens!
I own a canon 300 2.8 and I'm guessing it's not that heavy.
I know what you mean though. I guess it's because they use high quality materials they are heavy by comparison to "like for like" lenses.

I own a canon 300 2.8 and I'm guessing it's not that heavy.
I know what you mean though. I guess it's because they use high quality materials they are heavy by comparison to "like for like" lenses.
Exactly, heavy for an equivalent lens.

You’re not near Edinburgh by any chance? You could have a try of my kit.

Will be in about 6 weeks time.
My wife and I are staying at loch Long for a week. Not that that's very close to Edinburgh, although, I live on the south coast, so it will be closer.

Can I ask what Leica kit you have?
Also, how are you digitalising your pictures? (if you do)

I have the R6 and R7 bodies. 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8, 50mm f2 and 90mm f2 lenses.

Also M2 with 50mm f2, 7Artisans 35mm f2 and Voigtlander 21mm f4.

Sometimes I use Filmdev for developing and scanning. Otherwise I develop some B&W at home and scan with Epson V500 or Plustec 8100.

In my Hasselblad days I had the Epson 850 pro but struggled with the film holders.
Plustec is the system I have been reading about lately but they are quite expensive.
Film dev is not an issue, I've been doing it for years. I've never owned a Leica so this is all a bit new to me.

Thanks for your responses, appreciate them.

I've had an R8 for quite a few years. Yes it's heavy and a big old lump. But it is lovely to use. Everything is so smooth. One strange thing that happened to it was that on a particularly hot day it just stopped working. The shutter just would not release even with a fresh set of batteries. That was about 5 years ago and it's been fine since. I do seem to remember reading somewhere a long time ago that they may be prone to this,but as I say this was just the once.

Plustec is the system I have been reading about lately but they are quite expensive.

I've got a Plustek 8100, which cost around £200 new. It obviously won't do medium format (I think the Plustek that handles 120 film costs over a grand!), but I find it to be noticeably sharper than my Epson V500 flatbed. It does take a lot longer to scan a roll though.

I've got a Plustek 8100, which cost around £200 new. It obviously won't do medium format (I think the Plustek that handles 120 film costs over a grand!), but I find it to be noticeably sharper than my Epson V500 flatbed. It does take a lot longer to scan a roll though.

I had the Epson V850 pro so I'm hoping a dedicated 35mm scanner will have better general image quality.

The only question remains is, do I buy an R8 or not. Hmmmmmm!

For what it's worth, I did find that the PlusTek 120 extracted more detail from my 6x7 negatives, but not an appreciable amount more, than my V700 did. I had a side by side comparison around which I posted here a long time ago - a link, as you needed to open a 1.4MB file to examine the Plustek one. For my purposes (prints no larger than A3) there wasn't anything in it.

To be fair, I only made the tests on colour negatives, which is odd now I think about it, as black and white would be a fairer comparison as black and white negatives will have more detail.

Back