Leica M10 hire, UK

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all,

I’ve dabbled with rangefinders before, and would really like to try a Leica M10 as a replacement for my Canon 6D.

Ideally I would like to hire one for a two week trip I’m going on soon, but can’t find anywhere in the UK which has one.

Googling has only led me to the huge medium format S2 things.

Anyone know if a company or dealer that offers this? I’m assuming it’ll involve using a credit card deposit for the full cost, and I’m fine with that.

Many thanks,

Andy

Stewart at Lensesforhire is on here - don't believe they do bodies or Leica but he is very helpful and may know of somewhere? His name on here is @StewartR

It seems that it is possible to hire Leica Q and Q2 plus at another site the SL......but no mentions of M, perhaps the M is aimed at the officianado and hence no hire potentiality???

I think you’re probably right, but for anyone not daft enough to drop six grand on a camera on the basis of a five minute fondle in the shop, that means no sale for Leica.

You could try dealers in person and perhaps borrow a demonstrator or maybe see if they are willing to
do a sale or return deal etc.

Dougie.

Have you tried calling Leica store london, Leica store manchester, red dot camera's, ffordes cameras, aperture cameras and asking?

Stewart at Lensesforhire is on here - don't believe they do bodies or Leica but he is very helpful and may know of somewhere? His name on here is @StewartR
Sorry, I haven't been on TP in the last few days.

I'm afraid I don't know anywhere at all in the UK where you could hire a Leica M10. Sorry.

I don’t really want to resort to ringing or emailing round dealers trying to beg a camera with some dubious sale or return deal.
Just a shame there isn’t a proper process to rent a camera and a few lenses.
I would have thought it might translate into at least a few extra sales for Leica or for a dealer offering the rental fee back as credit against a purchase.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I'd contact Leica and ask the question, maybe they'll lend you one :sneaky:

I remember seeing an ad from Leica Mayfair saying that you could try out an M setup for a week, and I did take a workshop once where they were handing out bodies for the day. This was a few years ago though.

I think Leica Academy in London do a short 2 hour, maybe morning workshop for free where you can try before you buy. Maybe worth a Google to see if you can find that.

Thanks for all your replies.
My dream travel kit is an M10, an M6 or M7, a bag of HP5, and a 35mm and 75mm, but this year (this Saturday, actually), I’ll be dragging a Canon 6D and a Voigtlander 667 with me again.
I do voluntary work in an orphanage in Belarus every year and need a high quality digital option for the charity calendar, website, and so on, but streamlining to a less bulky all Leica kit is my aim.

My dream travel kit is an M10, an M6 or M7, a bag of HP5, and a 35mm and 75mm, but this year (this Saturday, actually), I’ll be dragging a Canon 6D and a Voigtlander 667 with me again.
I do voluntary work in an orphanage in Belarus every year and need a high quality digital option for the charity calendar, website, and so on, but streamlining to a less bulky all Leica kit is my aim.

If you let me come and assist you documenting your work, I will let you borrow my M6. How's that for a deal? :p

Can you be at Manchester airport for 9am tomorrow?

I actually could! Ha. but in all seriousness, that's the kind of humanitarian photography I would love to do so if there is an opportunity, I would be very grateful in the future.

Also, I don't know why I said M6, I meant M3. I have buying an M6 on the brain.

My dream travel kit is an M10, an M6 or M7, a bag of HP5, and a 35mm.

Mine too, maybe Tri-X and a 50mm 1.4 instead. Good luck on your travels and finding the camera gear of your dreams. (y)

An alternative for you is that you could buy an M9 and a cheapish 35mm like a Voigtlander, second hand. This would be a very cheap entry, and you could sell them at the end of the two weeks for less than the cost of hiring I imagine.

You don’t need a Summilux and an M10 to get the feeling of joy that you have when using a tactile M camera and suitable lens. You’ll love it. My M9 was a thing of joy.

Currently in Belarus with a really poor internet connection, but got a few reasonable pictures so far.

Attachments

• 509780D9-B51D-4B13-9ECF-2E037CE35B35.jpeg
    509780D9-B51D-4B13-9ECF-2E037CE35B35.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 03E80DE3-CE77-447E-9538-18DA17B45CE5.jpeg
    03E80DE3-CE77-447E-9538-18DA17B45CE5.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 1F6236BE-93F1-423A-8E4A-25B8A2EEE87E.jpeg
    1F6236BE-93F1-423A-8E4A-25B8A2EEE87E.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 12
Back