Leica M3 Help

Name
Kyle
Edit My Images
Yes
Apologies if this is the wrong forum and perhaps someone might be able to move for me if required.

My girlfriends uncle has an Leica M3 and various kit he is considering selling and asked for my advice. Unfortunately I am purely digital and do not have a clue. I was wondering if anyone could help in terms of how to go about getting the items he has valued.

The only info I have are the photographs attached.

Many thanks
8527854678_65773d04fa_c.jpg

8526736885_b901d9b1d5_c.jpg

I'm afraid they are worth almost nothing but I would be prepared to donate a tenner and pay postage if you will send them to me.....:naughty:

Seriously though, it's worth phoning round a few of the better 2nd hand places, Ffordes, Mifsuds to name but two as this is a pretty large and impressive kit and would be of interest to most shops.

Andy

Bloody hell, I've just dribbled all over my keyboard :eek:

Seriously though, as mentioned Ffordes, who are based in Inverness I think, are good and will take commission sales although I don't know what their rates are, as have already been mentioned Aperture UK deal in 2nd-hand Leicas and I assume Red Dot Cameras would buy but I'm not sure how strict their criteria is.

Or as Andy said there are a few of us here that would be more than will to take it of your hands and I wouldn't even charge you petrol costs :D

Serial numbers and lens names will help. Many things to help ascertain condition are exactly the same as on digital lenses - looking for dust, smooth focusing, aperture rings moving freely. The folks over at Rangefinderforum are also worth asking (and it's a good forum to participate in as well).

Thank you all for your replies and info. Ill pass it on and keep you updated on how he gets on!

Some very interesting bits and bobs that I dont recognise at all in the pictures.

Anyone any idea what that metal plate looking thing at the back of picture 1 just to the left of the flash is?

Some very interesting bits and bobs that I dont recognise at all in the pictures.

Anyone any idea what that metal plate looking thing at the back of picture 1 just to the left of the flash is?

I would think it's some sort of bag insert and the lenses would fit into the mounts in the bag to stop them rolling around, may be wrong though ;)

That is a truly awesome collection : nothing I can see as super expensive, no big apertures but all the knicknacks are amazing.
The plate with the inserted lenses and holder is intriguing.
I think you would get excellent information from RangefinderForum : post there ASAP, there's folk using this stuff seriously.
Is the long lens a 9cm, 135mm or 200?

That is a truly awesome collection : nothing I can see as super expensive, no big apertures but all the knicknacks are amazing.
The plate with the inserted lenses and holder is intriguing.
I think you would get excellent information from RangefinderForum : post there ASAP, there's folk using this stuff seriously.
Is the long lens a 9cm, 135mm or 200?

Think the plate is a bag insert to stop everything rattling around.

I think it will be worth well over £500 (sale not trade in) the body looks in good shape.

The Hektors probably worth upto £100, the 90mm elmar too. Maybe even a little more if the optics are clean.

Is that a 50 summicron ? Hard to tell. Well over two hundred if yes

I'd expect to get at least £75 for the visoflex

All the adaptors are probably worth at least a tenner each.

The meter I'm un sure of the model ?

The flash accessory is intriging is that Leica or another make looks in fabulour condition.

Hopefully it's been stored well and has stood the test of time -check the lenses for fungus and test the camera on all shutter speeds and check the rangefinder etc. If everything checks out, Chivers67's estimates sounds about right.

Back