Leica M9: experience so far

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I bought an M9 a couple of weeks back, and have paired it with a Zeiss 2/50 Planar ZM lens (that's a 50mm f/2) and thought you might like to hear how I've got on with it so far.

Just so you know I'm not made of money, I've had to sell loads of my Canon gear to get the cash for the M9 and lens. The M9 and lens cost me £5k.

It's very different to using a DSLR. I sold a 1DIII and still have a 1DIV, plus a bunch of L lenses, so I'm very familiar with the results you get from top-end Canon kit. I've also got a GF1 with 14 and 20mm lenses. The Leica is just very different. It's hugely simplified, from the controls to the menu. It's also quite basic in some areas such as the rear screen and the speed of the processor.

Aside from a simple aperture priority mode where you set the aperture on the lens and the camera sorts the shutter speed (and can auto-adjust the ISO), everything is manual including focus. Focus particularly takes some getting used to. You look through the viewfinder and adjust the focus ring on the lens until the two images in the rangefinder "patch" line up. Once they do, you're in perfect focus. This is OK with practice on stationary subjects, more tricky (!) with moving ones. I'm getting better at focusing. Once you twig to always return the lens to infinity after taking a picture so you always focus "one way" when you take the next shot, things become easier. Also, when you work out which way to move the ring for closer, and which way for further away, tracking movement becomes easier. I'm also starting to work out roughly where the "nub" on the focus ring needs to be by feel for given distances. What's more, you know if you've nailed the focus. You dont have to rely on the camera to do it, think it's got it, and then be disappointed when you get home. You know you've got it, and if you haven't it's your fault and you need to get better. Practice practice practice. The camera makes you work at it.

But all this makes the act of taking pictures much more involving, and to my mind much more rewarding. The camera is beautifully built and very satisfying to use. The shutter gives a very precise "click" followed by a smooth whirr as it re-cocks. I use "discreet" mode so the shutter only re-cocks once I've removed my finger from the button. It's way quieter than my 1DIV which clatters like a load of scaffolding poles being dropped onto a flatbed. The menu interaction is slick and fast, and there are numerous very nice touches especially the manual white balance setting which is very quick & fast.

You need to think much more about your picture, how you're going to take it. The camera draws you in much more. I've tried DSLRs and the GF1 in manual mode, but believe me it's just not the same. They are built to be automatic and the Leica is built to be manual, and that comes through in how you use them. Right tool for the job and all that - I wouldn't use the Leica for football under floodlights for example.

It's much smaller and less conspicuous than DSLRs. I'd read a lot about the way people react to you differently when you use a camera like a Leica (I guess it could be any rangefinder/old camera/Fuji X100) compared to a DSLR, and didn't really believe it, but it's true. I've had far more smiles, engagement and better pictures with the Leica than I've ever had with a DSLR. People don't seem to regard the camera as threatening in the way they do with a DSLR. It's strange, but definitely true.

Image quality. Well, I'm frankly blown away. The Zeiss lens is extraordinarily sharp at f/2. Sharper than anything I've seen before. This is helped by the amazing full frame sensor on the M9 which doesn't have an anti-alias filter on it. Sparkly crispness and smooth out-of-focus transition is the name of the game. I'd love 3 of the Leica lenses, specifically a 24mm Summilux (f/1.4), a 50mm Summilux (f/1.4) and maybe a 90mm Summicron (f/2), but that lot adds up to £10k so it wont happen for a while. However the quality of the Zeiss lens is just superb. Next purchase will be a wider angle for landscapes - probably a Zeiss 28mm 2.8.

Some problems so far though. I had the camera lock up on me a couple of times, both when deleting an image from a memory card. Leica gave me an 8GB Sandisk Ultra with the camera and I've now stopped using it and am using my "usual" Sandisk Extreme III cards instead which have been faultless so far. Battery use is relatively high - 300 shots per charge (I'm used to a couple of thousand on the 1DIV). I've purchased another battery from a "no-name" supplier which the camera initially thought had only 1/3rd charge when fully charged, but having run it down to empty it now calibrates OK which is slightly strange. High ISO is poor versus the 1DIV, only going to 2500 which looks like the 1DIV at ISO8000. But then I knew this when I bought it.

So far, it's a love affair. What a super tool. You could probably get very similar pictures with your DSLR and a 50mm 1.4, but the experience and approach is totally different, as is the "blendability" when taking pictures of people. It's compact, discreet and a delight to use.

I'll add more thoughts as I go along...but for now some pics. Yes, I'm in "lame street photographs" mode a fair bit at the moment, and find that sort of photography very challenging as I like to have permission to shoot rather than just stuffing the camera in someone's face, especially when I'm still learning how to use it. Anyway, here's 6 for you...

Arrival by Tobers, on Flickr

Stripes (or should that be Hoops) by Tobers, on Flickr

Fishing by Tobers, on Flickr

Waiting by Tobers, on Flickr

Let me in by Tobers, on Flickr

Central Reservation by Tobers, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thjanks for the update Tobers, it sounds like an amazing bit of kit!! I just wish that I was in the position to put £5k down on a camera. I have the £5, it's just the "k" I need now... So it's back to drooling over the X100 for the time being...

Aled

The more and more i'm sucked into the Cult of Lecia and Rangefinders. The more i seek for the simplistsity i want from DSLR's, only because of the sheer price of rangefinders.

35f1.4 summilux aspherical - buy it :)

Such a wonderful camera.

I have considered selling all my Canon gear to fund an M9 and lens. But I'd not be able to afford another lens for years!

Leicas do have a lot of "differences" to many cameras nowadays and sometimes its difficult to see why someone would pay so much for one when a "better" camera is so much cheaper. But, I see you have been seduced, and there arent many cameras around that do that.
I can't afford an M9 ( or M8 for that matter, yet!) but I love my X1. It gives me the same feelings as I had when I used my Dads Leica F III and there is something special about the images they produce.
Some people just don't get this feeling, but if you do, well, you just know.

A great write up and some lovely pictures. Monochrome rules with these cameras, the tones are beautiful.

Allan

Don't take this the wrong way, it's a genuine question.

Where is the £5,000 in the camera?

You could probably get very similar pictures with your DSLR and a 50mm 1.4, ... the "blendability" when taking pictures of people. It's compact, discreet and a delight to use.

And a DSLR isn't. I wouldn't even try to take anything even remotely candid with my Canon 20D. It's big and chunky but more disappointingly the shutter sounds like someone throwing an anvil into a bathtub.

Simon - "The more and more i'm sucked into the Cult of Lecia and Rangefinders. The more i seek for the simplistsity i want from DSLR's, only because of the sheer price of rangefinders."

You can dip your toe in the water for a reasonable price if you're willing to look at film and something like a Bessa R.

And a DSLR isn't. I wouldn't even try to take anything even remotely candid with my Canon 20D. It's big and chunky but more disappointingly the shutter sounds like someone throwing an anvil into a bathtub.

Simon - "The more and more i'm sucked into the Cult of Lecia and Rangefinders. The more i seek for the simplistsity i want from DSLR's, only because of the sheer price of rangefinders."

You can dip your toe in the water for a reasonable price if you're willing to look at film and something like a Bessa R.

How much are we looking at for a Body and 1 Len's with the Bessa R stuff?

Do you mean "what makes it worth the £5,000 price tag?"

I suppose I do, although tend to make a distinction between 'worth' and 'cost' in the nicest possible way.

I'm certainly not questioning the OP's principles. I would never tell a complete stranger how they should spend their hard won cash. I'm genuinely interested to find out what makes people pay the prices they do for these cameras.

Image quality. Well, I'm frankly blown away. The Zeiss lens is extraordinarily sharp at f/2. Sharper than anything I've seen before.

I know I'm only looking at small picture on the web, but those example pics don't blow me away at all, sorry. In fact unless there are some focussing issues they look significantly less sharp than my GF1 and 20mm.

I suppose I do, although tend to make a distinction between 'worth' and 'cost' in the nicest possible way.

I'm certainly not questioning the OP's principles. I would never tell a complete stranger how they should spend their hard won cash. I'm genuinely interested to find out what makes people pay the prices they do for these cameras.

I do agree with you, you can't tell someone how to spend there money and I don't see much point in spending £5000 on a camera but I think it's down to this;

The Leica experience

Owning a Leica

The simplicity of such a camera means you don't have as many digital settings to worry about

The lenses are meant to be the best there is

that's about it though I think, I'd much rather get a GF1 or E-P2 with pancake lens and viewfinder for about 1/5th of the price :LOL:

I'd much rather get a GF1 or E-P2 with pancake lens and viewfinder for about 1/5th of the price :LOL:

The thing is that to some people a GF1 is madness when you can get a perfectly good digital camera from ASDA for £60 :)

It's a personal choice thing and at the moment the market will pay what the Leica costs so they'd be silly to charge less even if they could, look what's happening with the Fuji 100 on ebay.

Don't take this the wrong way, it's a genuine question.

Where is the £5,000 in the camera?

Leica-Logo.jpg

I fully understand the pull of small, discreet, stylish cameras. I have a Voigtlander Bessa R3a and Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f1.4 and they match up perfectly. Popped a roll of Kodak Ektar 100 in it the other day and the pictures are a joy, I still need to get used to manual focusing at f1.4 though, it can be tricky.

Andy

I have to admit that I'd really struggle to justify that kind of price for a camera thinking of what it could get me elsewhere. The price of EVIL cameras is coming down and I would say they don't attract much attention outside. Certainly not that I've experienced with my NEX 5 anyway.

Saying that I've not looked into this range at all for the benefits, just the opinion that seems to be coming over in this page is that you pay the money for the brand and the high quality lenses.

Two years time I'll probably be gagging for one.

Very interesting post Tobers, having seen much of your canon stuff I am looking forward to seeing what the Leica can do.

I dont think I've ever heard anyone explain why they would spend so much on a camera, and why should they? Maybe they dont need a reason, just the desire and means to own one. They are likely not the best cameras in the world to many people, but their lenses probably are.
I have an X1. Its a cheap Leica but an expensive compact. I cant explain why I wanted to spend so much on a compact, but i did and am very glad I did and I love using it and seeing what it produces. I never had a camera that did that to me.
So, maybe its just a sense of well being. There are cheaper alternatives to everything you can buy today. It would be difficult to judge every purchase against the cheaper option and give a reason for that choice.
So it is with a Leica.
Allan

Nobody should have to explain why they choose to spend their money the way they do except possibly to their partner but that is not really Stratman's point.

The M9 had it's first outing at a commercial shoot today. It wasn't anything major, just a promotional session for a couple of polo teams who are playing later in the year. However, it was a paying job, so had to be done right. Alongside the M9 I had my Canon 1D IV and a 17-40 lens and a 580EXII flash.

Aside from a bit of nervousness using the M9, specifically worrying about focusing it, everything went very well. I used the M9 for more portrait-style shots of the two team owners, and the 1D4 for wider shots and where the guys moving on their horses. I'm very pleased with the resulting shots from both cameras. In my excitement about the M9, it's easy to forget just how superb the 1D4 is, and the 17-40 is a cracking lens when stopped down a tad.

Using both cameras side by side in a fairly pressured situation, the differences in how they are used become highlighted. With both cameras in full manual mode, the 1D4 is by far a more "clinical" tool. Hyper efficient, very fast, cracking crisp pictures. The M9 is more "involving", drawing you into the process of making an image.

OK - it's all very subjective and I've no problem with people who don't agree with this "clinical" versus "involving" thing. By its very nature, it's a personal experience and I'm just telling it how it is for me. Both sets of pictures are very good, and will be ideal for the commercial purposes they will be used for. It'll be interesting to see which they pick.

I can't put any of the main shots up, but here are a couple of M9 shots that I got whilst wandering about beforehand. Black and white again, but I like it as it gives the pictures a different emphasis.

Neigh by Tobers, on Flickr

Woof by Tobers, on Flickr

On justifying the price of the camera - that's an interesting question. When I bought the 1D4 it cost me about £4400. The M9 was a tadge above that. Both are VAT deductable :D. You could use the same argument about the 1D4 - why buy it when a 7D will be pretty much just as good in most situations. I've got a new Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mark II lens which was £1700. It's bigger and longer than my Zeiss 2/50 costing £600, but that doesn't make it "better". My 400 2.8 is up for sale at £2500 - you get a lot of lens for that money, but does it make it better than £2500 for a Leica 50 1.4 Summilux just because it's huge, heavy and white? They are both exquisite pieces of engineering that are created to do specific jobs at the highest level of quality.

The M9+Zeiss = £5k. The 1D4+70-200 = £6k. Happily my commercial photography makes enough money to pay for this stuff. You could get similar-ish results with a GF1 with a 20 1.7, or a 5D with a 50 1.4. But happily I've got enough money in my photography earnings to stand an M9, so why the hell not.

Oh, and it's just lovely to use. Did I mention that :D.

That first horse shot is amazing. Truly amazing.

I guess it was shot at F2?

Thanks Tobers for the writeup. The phrase that struck home with me is 'exquisite pieces of engineering'. I can appreciate that owning the finest examples of the craftsman's art can be all the justification one needs, and if it's 'lovely to use' so much the better.

Most of my indulgences are guitars (hence the username) and I have some very fancy ones, but I always end up playing the old Stratocaster because it just feels 'right'. Sounds good too (y)

May I also add to the appreciation of your pictures. Most impressive.

Nice bokeh huh?

Lovely bokeh! That planar is a great lens. My idle fantasy is an M9 with CZ 50mm Sonnar but I tried an M8 the other day thinking to work my way up and I wasn't at all whelmed.

Beautiful photos btw, especially the last two.

Last edited:
Good article, it true that people have different perceptions on what is expensive.

Tobers, nice write up. Already eyeing up second hand M8’s!
I've been doing that too and really need to pack it in before temptation gets too much and the credit card gets a battering.

Nice write up Tobers (y)

Good article about the Veblen effect.

Having spent 35 years in the broadcast industry I'm only too well aware that there is no shortage of people in the home hi-fi market who cannot wait to be parted from their money, those who tolerate the music in order to listen to their equipment.
If the sound isn't there to start with no amount of money spent on magic cables will make it appear. The magazines can't say this of course, otherwise their advertising will dry up.

I am glad,people are enjoying the M9,somone traded,a couple of nice Nikon lens,for one at my local camera shop,which i was after so got them both,to happy people :)

Yes, the parallels with hi-fi are quite apt. I used to be into hi-fi in a moderate way, and know audiophiles out there who will pay thousands for what a layman would think is an imperceptible increase in sound quality.

To paraphrase Stratman, crap in = crap out. That's why lenses are so important - getting the best light into the sensor is vital.

On the M8 - they are nice but you know you're getting a compromised camera (sensor size, IR sensitivity). I had a look at an M8 and a 50 f2 for £1500ish at LCE in Guildford but decided to go all in for the M9. If you want to dabble, it might be better to get an M6 and a lens. The M6 wont drop in value any more, and you can re-use the lens on your next Leica body, so you get to play with Leica kit effectively for free versus certain depreciation on an M8 (and yes I know the M9 is depreciating too).

Lovely photo's and a great camera!

As you say your business is doing well enough to justify the cost so why the hell not! You can't spend the money when your dead and my moto is that I don't want to be lying on my death bed thinking if only i had done that or this. do it while you can!!

Leica make the best equipment in the world (my opinion) and I still have my trusty D-Lux that I use for when I want to do street photography and not get noticed.

You can't always rationalise these things - it's difficult to put a value on using a piece of kit which makes you feel great just holding it - it's impressive weight and obvious engineering quality it's thoroughbred pedigree - Leicas have these qualities in spades as do Hasselblads. These cameras are made to uncompromising standards of excellence. It doesn't mean they'll compete with the latest DSLR for ease of use - in fact they wont - it's about the user experience and a different approach to photography which you either enjoy or you don't.

Well done Tobes - good honest review. (y)

Google a photographer -Giles Penfound
He like me was a military photographer, working in past conflicts as Iraq,Bosnia and Kosovo- and only ever used Leica.

He blogs daily about his love for the format, and will surely inspire each and every Leica user on this forum.

Lucky got for owning such a wonderful tool.

Back