Leica Q hood fault

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
So I got a Leica Q

"yay"

But then the hood doesn't stay on tight and I'm waiting on a resolution from the retailer. I'm hoping it doesn't need to go back to them because there is not stock to replace it with.

There possibly suppose to be some kind of rubber ring in there, but I don't see anything.. not sure if anyone here has a Q that can comment?

Buy cheap buy twice :banana:

Have you contact Leica themselves, I would have thought their CS is second to none.

Spoke to someone at Leica Mayfair who wasn't able to suggest anything other than send it back to the retailer, the retailer is going to get their rep on the case.

Also have a "q"..the lens hood has a "velvet" type of material which provides a tight fit onto the lens in my case....however there has been some talk on the Leica forum that in some cases the velvet is becoming detached...Leica are supposedly doing a re-design which will be available free!

Just realised you are talking about the hood not the lens cap...my bad! ..the hood on mine is a very tight fit..can't see any rubber.

Last edited:
Other otpion, maybe go to your local plumbers/builders merchant and buy a large "O" ring and fit to lens hood mount otherwise use some black electricians tape to fix, think there will be less glue residue than sellotape and not so obvious???

Temporary fix until they sort out the problem if it's a design fault.

Last edited:
I can just imagine someone spending a few thousand on a camera and using sellotape :)

Get a tube of silicone! (get the `bathroom stuff & make sure it's fungus resistant)

;)

I'm surprised the hood does not use the same mounting method as the 28mm elmarit asph - it seems very secure even though the standard hood is plastic rather than metal.

Off topic @dancook , but how is the Leica Q, in terms of handling, usage and IQ? I know you've/had a 5DIII and an A7 (not sure which flavour), so I'd be keen to hear what you think.

Off topic @dancook , but how is the Leica Q, in terms of handling, usage and IQ? I know you've/had a 5DIII and an A7 (not sure which flavour), so I'd be keen to hear what you think.

It was the A7S with 35mm 1.4 Distagon - which was fairly enjoyable for street - but the Leica Q is smaller, quicker to AF. Also more cropping power, which means when 28mm is a little wide I can crop in, which works for me!

I like to keep the LQ round my neck with the strap it comes with, great height for hipshooting discreetly, leaf shutter is nice and quiet, but not eerily silent when you're taking a posed photo of someone.

You have to go into the menu it seems to change AF settings, and if you use exposure compensation in auto-shutter speed, then move to manual shutter speed it maintains compensation but doesn't allow you do change it, as the compensation dial changes it's usage. These might be RTFM things, but just quirks I've noticed.

IQ is awesome :)

I think I'll be very happy with this for a while :D

Last edited:
Back