Leica Q Series for Street Photography?

Fair enough. Even an M9 with a comparable secondhand lens will be a lot more more expensive than the Q.

I thought the Q was around £3.5k, or do you mean secondhand?

When a camera comes with a £20 lens cap, I tend to leave it in the box and use a £2 cap from ebay. I suspect the eternal UV filter vs no filter debate will not be settled in this thread :)

You can see from post 20 above that the cap goes over the hood and it is not any normal cap. In my case the cap probably prevented much more serious damage. The hood is likely to be much more expensive to replace.

At least it looks more substantial than the 14043 hood cap, the one for the previous version of the 35/2 ASPH - they have the cheek to charge £20 for a rectangular piece of rubbery plastic. Perhaps this is the price of the innovative 'auto-detach' technology (which often saves me the bother of removing it - it's already somewhere at the bottom of the bag when I take out the camera).

QUOTE="Retune, post: 7881431, member: 85896"]At least it looks more substantial than the 14043 hood cap, the one for the previous version of the 35/2 ASPH - they have the cheek to charge £20 for a rectangular piece of rubbery plastic. Perhaps this is the price of the innovative 'auto-detach' technology (which often saves me the bother of removing it - it's already somewhere at the bottom of the bag when I take out the camera).[/QUOTE]

Now I know it costs £20 I'll try not to lose it. The Q cap is much cheaper for what it is because so many people lost them, and the felt inside disintegrated and had to be re-engineered.

The M9 CCD sensor produced a rather filmic toned-down colour quality. The Q has a CMOS and the new Maestro II processor and a lot more in-your-face, colourwise. The M10 has Maestro II but a mystery sensor and is about half way between the two.

IMG_1703.JPG

Last edited:
Spot on about the budget, I can probably stretch to 3k if necessary. It all boils down to do I listen to my head or go with my heart? I'm not getting any younger that's for sure, I'll be 70 in a few years time and always wanted a Leica but not been able to afford it. So 'Head or Heart?" What the hell, I've got the cash available, Leica here I come. :)
As an aside, this thread has been very informative so thanks to everyone who contributed, it's given me, and I hope many others, food for thought. Thanks guys, much appreciated.:)
I'm older than you and bought a Q in early 2016 as I find the D810 a bit cumbersome for street. It's terrific to use. Don't try and justify it. I'd prefer a 35mm fixed lens but I understand that's technically difficult to do within the size.
Buy it and enjoy it!

Back