Leica SL - What lenses do you use with your Leics SL

mho

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Just wondering what Lenses everyone is using with their Leica SL, are you using Manual focus or Auto focus, Leica M, SL, S, R, Zeiss, etc.

Do you prefer AF or MF lenses.

Im personally looking at the 24-90 SL and possibly the 50 1.4 SL,
I previously used the Leica M 24 2.8 & M 50 1.4 on my previous M9,
I would eventually look at adding the Leica M 24 2.8 as its a great walk around lens.

cheers

Mark

On my SL I’ve used SL 24-90, SL 50 Summilux and an SL 35 Summicron. I’ve also used M-mount lenses from Voigtlander such as the 21mm f/1.8, 35mm f/1.2 and 50mm f/3.5 and Zeiss 35mm f/1.4.

I like using both AF and MF lenses. MF is made easy with the SL’s EVF and there’s a ton of MF lenses to choose from. Native SL lenses are limited, although they have more coming out next year, and you do have Panasonic and Sigma options too.

SL 50mm 1.4 was lovely quality, just focus a little slow coupled with hunting in low light made it frustrating sometimes.

I keep getting flashbacks of Jared doing “L MOUNT ALLIANCE” every time I see the name mentioned.

SL 50mm 1.4 was lovely quality, just focus a little slow coupled with hunting in low light made it frustrating sometimes.

I agree. That and the size/weight made me move it on. Looking forward to trying out the SL 50 Summicron, especially if the SL 35 is anything to go by.

I'm looking for image quality and colour rendition, as ultimatly the images will be for a book and large exhibition prints,
I'm really drawn to the SL 50 1.4 and the SL 24-90, but if the quality is there in the Panasonic 24-105 that could free up cash for a nice 24mm f/2.8 M lens,

Has anyone used the Panasonic 24-105 on the SL

I had a few hours with the SL & SL 50 1.4 this morning and wow its big, but the quality of the images are outstanding....
Big question is, is it worth carying it around ?

I had a few hours with the SL & SL 50 1.4 this morning and wow its big, but the quality of the images are outstanding....
Big question is, is it worth carying it around ?

I would, just now I prefer the X1D (II) - but all the same I'd happily carry it and a similarly large/heavy lens to enjoy that quality.

BTW during the SL period I sold the 50mm 1.4 SL got the 50mm 1.4 Leica-M, since I wanted to use it in low light where AF was not reliable so I wanted a lens where I could manual focus easily instead.

Towards the end of my time with the SL, I also got the 75mm f2 - which is an awesome lens and smaller than 50mm 1.4

I also had the 90-280SL, and 24mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 90mm 2.0 leica-m lenses - those I used with the M10 as well.

Last edited:
Having spent some more time with the SL 50 1.4 & SL 24-90, I have decided to use M lenses, they are just more user friendly in the weight department,
they have stunning picture quality, but the weight of them is considerable.
So im using the Leica M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH, which I find great for walk around and landscapes, I'm really loving the focus peaking on the SL, as i struggeled with the rangefinder focusing (bad eyesight).
I will look at adding an M 50mm f1.4 in the future, and see what AF lenses Leica bring out, I'm interested in the looking at the Sigma 45mm f2.8 AF L mount.

Back