Leighton Moss

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I've possibly got a free day coming up this Friday and was considering a trip to Leighton Moss. Does anyone here have any advice for this site - best hides, locations etc?

Mike

Good spots for a chance of seeing Red Deer (should start rutting soon) are the Grisedale and Tim Jackson hides. The causeway have some grit trays for the bearded tits and from here I've seen marsh harriers a few times.
The Public hide gets a showing of the otters sometimes.....usually early in the morning, I've yet to see them!
I have been lucky to see a glimpse of a bittern at the Lower hide.....also it’s a good spot if want a quiet spell away from the majority of the spectators.
The Allen and Eric Morecambe hides are great for the waders.
It’s easy to spend a full day at Leighton Moss....best of luck.

Here's a link to their map... http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/leightonmoss_tcm9-260970.pdf

Allen and Eric Morecambe hides are great for the waders, so could be good at the moment, you need wellies to access them if the tide is high. I have always had good luck from Public hide, it is the right time of year for a passing Osprey, they sit on the dead tree right at the back. Also worth looking for Bearded Tits on the causeway on the way to Public hide.

I'd do the Allen and Eric Morecambe hides earlier in the day when the sun is behind the hides - in the evening it can be tricky viewing as the sun does down. Also there is often a Kingfisher patrolling along the fence to the right and behind the Eric Morecambe hide - it was there Saturday am and sometimes sits on the fence posts. There's a window on the right that looks back down the fence. Also the woods from the end of the causeway to the farthest hide can be productive - especially if you out some seed down near the junction where the path goes to that far hide [can't remember its name].

Hi. Stay until dusk for the starlings (smoking) over the reed beds

Last edited:
Back