Lencarta Smart Flash 3 auto power dumping

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
Hi

I have just bought 2 of the Lencarta Smart Flash 3 heads and tested them out today. I've noticed that neither of them dump the power when decreasing the power settings, according to the website specs, and the customer support staff member I had a live chat with, this should happen by default. Has anyone else got any of these and can confirm that this feature works?

I am supposed to be getting a call on Monday from them to confirm things, however I'd appreciate it if anyone has any ideas as to why this may not be working as it should? It seems very strange that neither of the 2 work properly.

Specs - Last line states auto power dumping. I assume this means I don't need to fire a test shot, or press the button after reducing the power setting.

https://www.lencarta.com/studio-lighting/lencarta-studio-flash-heads?product_id=470&ov=1

None of their other products does IIRC, I'm sure I pop them myself

The do auto power dump, but be aware that there are two distinct forms of power dumping
1. The excess power "leaks" away when the power is reduced, i.e. it isn't completely instantaneous. That's the method that the SmartFlash, and the vast majority of other flash heads, uses.
2. Turning down the power dumps the power by firing the flash. A good method, but people tend not to like the flash going off whenever they turn it down, so it isn't very popular..

Personally, I feel that auto power dumping is a bit of a gimmic really - more of a feature than a real benefit - and I always dump the power by pressing the button myself, a bit of a habit really, but a good one.

I have always done it myself, takes 2 seconds, however I guess its the principal of saying it happens automatically if it doesn't is the issue here.

I have always done it myself, takes 2 seconds, however I guess its the principal of saying it happens automatically if it doesn't is the issue here.
As I pointed out in my first reply, it does happen automatically

As I pointed out in my first reply, it does happen automatically
How long should it take Garry? I'll try it again later and wait a while and see.

How long should it take Garry? I'll try it again later and wait a while and see.
Depends on how much power needs to be dissipated, obviously if you're turning it down 1/10th stop it will be pretty instant, if you're turn it down 5 stops it will take longer.

You won't see it.
The do auto power dump, but be aware that there are two distinct forms of power dumping
1. The excess power "leaks" away when the power is reduced, i.e. it isn't completely instantaneous. That's the method that the SmartFlash, and the vast majority of other flash heads, uses.

Depends on how much power needs to be dissipated, obviously if you're turning it down 1/10th stop it will be pretty instant, if you're turn it down 5 stops it will take longer.
Ok thanks.

<snip>
Personally, I feel that auto power dumping is a bit of a gimmic really - more of a feature than a real benefit - and I always dump the power by pressing the button myself, a bit of a habit really, but a good one.

Me too (y)

Well, after further experimenting, it does appear it is dumping, albeit very slowly. I'd say that reducing power by 3/10 of a stop takes in the region of 30 seconds to dump. I shall use the test button or flash trigger in future.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Personally, I feel that auto power dumping is a bit of a gimmic really - more of a feature than a real benefit -
Undoubtably true for mains powered heads but it's a worthwhile feature for battery powered heads if the autodump is directed back at the battery.

Bob

Undoubtably true for mains powered heads but it's a worthwhile feature for battery powered heads if the autodump is directed back at the battery.

Bob

Most battery-powered heads are IGBT these days* in which case there is no dumping when power is turned down - the flash always fires at full power regardless and brightness is regulated in real time by the IGBT control. At anything less than max brightness, unused energy is simply retained for the next flash.

*except yours Bob ;)

Most of my studio heads auto-dump the excess energy and this is done is no time at all - also the head decides if this is by gradual bleed or self-firing depending on the amount of energy required to be dissipated. My older 900ws head which dates back to the mid 90's will also auto -dump excess energy and this takes a few seconds going from maximum to minimum, ever without firing the head. One factor to remember is that a quick self bleed or auto-dump system can create a large amount of residual heat, so unless you are confident in the quality of your heads it is always good to save stressing the head by firing it yourself when turning the power setting down from high to very low.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I'll be manually firing it in future.

Out of interest I conducted a test with my flash meter. At full power 4.0 it was F16, I reduced this to the lowest setting and left it for 3 minutes. It then read F9.5, I then fired it again immediately and it was F3.6. So I'd say the auto dumping is a little slow!

Still a great light though :) and fab value for money.

Last edited:
It does seem slow, I get grumpy waiting for an old Bowens Gemini 500 to go from full to minimum but it can't be more than 5-10 seconds (the IR sensor doesn't trigger the head while this happens).

Anyone got the same model Lencarta to compare times?

Thanks Paul,

I'll be manually firing it in future.

Out of interest I conducted a test with my flash meter. At full power 4.0 it was F16, I reduced this to the lowest setting and left it for 3 minutes. It then read F9.5, I then fired it again immediately and it was F3.6. So I'd say the auto dumping is a little slow!

Still a great light though :) and fab value for money.

True auto dumping is for me an essential feature and personally if we're talking minutes to do this, then that IMO doesn't count, then again I guess this is why I'm wedded to a costly brand that I feel has robust electronic management! Though even I often get caught out when occasionally it triggers a flash 15 seconds after I've switched off to dissipate trigger energy.

Paul

I would expect it to be much quicker than that, will try to test it myself next week

I would expect it to be much quicker than that, will try to test it myself next week
Hi Garry

That would be much appreciated. None of this is a criticism of the quality of the gear, in fact I have ordered a number of other items since. It's just about what is the expected performance of the items.

In fact I've just ordered a Super fast 400

Back