Lencarta SmartFlash 2 kit? Upgrading from speedlights

I have now corrected the modelling lamp consumption, where it said 150 Watt I have now changed that to 250 Watt.
The reason for the error is that we've upgraded the modelling lamp but forgot to change it on the website, in some places at least. In other words, we were understating the contents.
I've now noticed another error, again an understatement, and will try to get that corrected tomorrow.
I'm not perfect and neither is Lencarta. We do our best with the resources we have, but those resources are limited.

Garry had the audacity to cast aspersions on other retailers providing bad specifications.

It's not about whether I'd notice the difference, or even you. It's about accurate information on a product specification. Had you ever been in retail you would understand how dangerous that can be.

Then I will make you aware of The Flash Centre, national Elinchrom dealers, because they did loan lighting to me and they saved my bacon. While I would have still been waiting how long for my Lencartas to come back from China?

Mike, I doubt we'll miss each other much. However, that is a shame.

My agenda is this. Many people here, even most, are looking for professional solutions. They depend on their gear to earn a living. It is crucial that a professionals gear can be relied on and the same thing goes for the service that we buy into when we select a manufacturer.

If that's not important to you, fair enough. But give some consideration for those who have to worry about these things.

Just out if interest you imply that lencarta repairs are carried out in China - is that the case? Have you personally had a bad experience with Lencarta gear?

I had a minor issue with an ultrapro I bought about 18 months ago. Garry personally dealt with it and was sorted amazingly quickly.

He also gives good advice about lighting and has provided FREE teaching, regardless of what lighting brand you use/choose!

I understand that errors happen, that's human nature (I teach on human factors and errors so am happy to debate this with you elsewhere if so inclined). It's how you deal with those errors and mitigate for them.

And to be honest, although it's an error, it's akin to being sold a 9 carat ring to be later told that actually it's an 18 carat ring! I see your point about accuracy though and I believe that it has now been corrected.

When you got your loan kit, was it from the establishment you bought your flashes from? I don't know much about the flash centre - are they an establishment that rents out gear as well as selling it?

Back to the original post, look at the pros and cons of each choice you could make. I upgraded from 4 speed lights to studio heads. I chose lencarta (one light initially) as people on here had good experience of them. I subsequently over the last year have bought 3 smartflashes (original) great value for money and not missed a beat for me. Most people will objectively agree that I get decent results with them.

Good luck with whatever the op chooses and look forward to seeing some pics with them!

S

Garry had the audacity to cast aspersions on other retailers providing bad specifications.

It's not about whether I'd notice the difference, or even you. It's about accurate information on a product specification. Had you ever been in retail you would understand how dangerous that can be.

Then I will make you aware of The Flash Centre, national Elinchrom dealers, because they did loan lighting to me and they saved my bacon. While I would have still been waiting how long for my Lencartas to come back from China?

Mike, I doubt we'll miss each other much. However, that is a shame.

My agenda is this. Many people here, even most, are looking for professional solutions. They depend on their gear to earn a living. It is crucial that a professionals gear can be relied on and the same thing goes for the service that we buy into when we select a manufacturer.

If that's not important to you, fair enough. But give some consideration for those who have to worry about these things.
Our repair department is in Scarborough, YO12 4DJ. Which province of China do you think that's in?

If you have to rely on it that much then I'd suggest you start getting spare ... - relying on kit is an amateur choice - the pro will cover his bases.

Always have a plan 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.

Kit will FAIL.

If you have to rely on it that much then I'd suggest you start getting spare ... - relying on kit is an amateur choice - the pro will cover his bases.

Always have a plan 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.

Kit will FAIL.

I do. I could have fallen back on speedlights.

As an amateur who is looking to get a studio flash setup soon(ish) - Xmas does get in the way - I have read this thread with interest.
I ignored most of the diatribe as life is way too short to give credence to petty point scoring.
I had been looking at the Interfit EXD 200 kit due to the good reviews and low price. But the more I read on here about lighting the more I realise I may have tailor my "wish list" to my own unique requirements (size of room (well summerhouse if SWMBO lets me), what I actually want to take photo's of using the lights etc.).
Garry, I may well need to give you a call soon to discuss various options, how many heads I will actually need and so on.

Terry.

As an amateur who is looking to get a studio flash setup soon(ish) - Xmas does get in the way - I have read this thread with interest.
I ignored most of the diatribe as life is way too short to give credence to petty point scoring.
I had been looking at the Interfit EXD 200 kit due to the good reviews and low price. But the more I read on here about lighting the more I realise I may have tailor my "wish list" to my own unique requirements (size of room (well summerhouse if SWMBO lets me), what I actually want to take photo's of using the lights etc.).
Garry, I may well need to give you a call soon to discuss various options, how many heads I will actually need and so on.

Terry.
Yes, it's all about individual needs, which is why we're happy to tailor kits to suit those needs.
Other factors come into play to - space, ceiling height, the type of photography, budget etc, so feel free to ring and talk it through.

Back