Lencarta Smartflash - best for the price?

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm investing in a single flash head for newborn photography, and I'm on a pretty tight budget.

My automatic instinct is to go for a Lencarta Smartflash, but are there any others in that price bracket that I should be looking at?

I've seen the Elinchrome D-lite One RX mentioned as well with regards to this type of photography.

The D Lite is popular because it's not very powerful, so it's a good option.

However, fir my money, the Smartflash is the best bang for buck due to the great after sales support.

If you're really skint and a gambler, you can find a similar product from Godox with no real warranty, for a small saving.

We use a D-Lite One for newborn when natural light isn't possible. Very nice little flash. We picked it because it is very small and light; seemed well made (and has proved reliable); and has nice low output (minimum 6w/s). Another plus for us is that Elinchrom do a plastic diffuser thing which plugs into the umbrella socket and cuts the output by another stop which can be very handy. There's bound to be an easy way to do the same with a Lencarta flash but the Elinchrom way works well for us.

Last edited:
You cant go wrong with Lencarta.
My smart flash 200 never missed a beat in the time i owned it and they are so simple to operate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to agree with the majority here, the smart flash 2 was great value for money, however looking on the Lencarta website it looks like they aren't selling them anymore, however the good news is their is now a smartflash 3 which is looks to be 300 watts at max power and 9 watts at minimum power, great price to at £129 I think they have an offer of free delivery at the moment too, and a couple of extras to go with it, great value.

https://www.lencarta.com/smartflash-300w-studio-flash-head

I don't think you'll go wrong with either. Elinchrom modifiers of course work out more expensive so that may be a consideration. For the record, I've 3 D-Lite heads which I find superb.

PS. You could do with a proper baby beanbag to go with that

Can't go wrong with either really, the Lencarta has the advantage of being more powerful but the D-lite is really small and lightweight.

Normally i'd opt for the extra power but you're unlikely to need it for your subject so might be best to decide based on if you'd prefer to use Elinchrom or Bowens fit modifiers.

I'm not sure you can do any better than these two heads unless you don't mind second hand.

I recently decided I wanted a low power and very compact light, so bought a D-Lite One and I have to say that I'm very impressed, in fact impressed enough to consider getting a couple more as a portable kit! Also think the remote computer software is great and the new skyport plus trigger has a far better build quality than the old speed version so much more robust and takes AA batteries.

Paul

I have recently purchased 2 x Lencarta Smart Flash 3's - they do the job - nothing more to add :)

Les

I've been using my Godox\Neewer\ DE\DS300 lighting set more than 12 months which set which where bought from UK ebay sellers. They have not missed a beat, hugely impressed with the performance and reliability. For a total outlay of less than £202 for my 3 lights I am extremely pleased with the results I am getting/ for so little outlay. Because of the low price of this lighting kit it meant I could afford to buy the FT16 control\ trigger kit and it works fantastically well.

Back