Beginner Lencarta studio flash power dial setting.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

I purchase second hand Lencarta studio smart flash III a while ago and have only started to play about with it recently. I don’t have an instruction manual to go with it but from searching on the internet it says it has 5 stops of light adjustments.

The digital power dials at the back of the studio flash starts at min 5.0 and goes all the way up to a max 8.0 in increments of 0.1.

Anyone with a similar kit can explain

1. How to interpret the digital power dial setting as actual stops. For example at what digital setting is 1 stop, 2 stop, 3 stop, 4 stop and 5 stop.
2. Why does it start at 5.0

Thanks in advance

Manual is available here...
https://www.lencarta.com/downloads-manuals-reviews-lencarta

I set f8, 1/250, take a shot.
If it's too bright turn down the power, and keep doing that until I get the desired effect.

Hi...Much appreciated for the link to the instruction manual very helpful...I see where you are coming from just adjust for more or less light as needed but I am just wondering how does the digital dial setting at the back relates to actual stops.

Hi...Much appreciated for the link to the instruction manual very helpful...I see where you are coming from just adjust for more or less light as needed but I am just wondering how does the digital dial setting at the back relates to actual stops.
Don't know.
@Garry Edwards will know....
I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

It starts at 5 because that is its minimum power, cheaper lights like these Lencartas only have a 3 stop range, and don't go low.

Otherwise moving between 5 and 6 is a stop, moving to 5.5 is going a half stop brighter. It really is as simple as that in operation.

In practice and in terms of what you see after taking a shot is however much, much more complicated. It depends on placement of the lights, modifiers used and a whole bunch of other factors.

It starts at 5 because that is its minimum power, cheaper lights like these Lencartas only have a 3 stop range, and don't go low.

Otherwise moving between 5 and 6 is a stop, moving to 5.5 is going a half stop brighter. It really is as simple as that in operation.

In practice and in terms of what you see after taking a shot is however much, much more complicated. It depends on placement of the lights, modifiers used and a whole bunch of other factors.
Not correct, it has a full 5 stops of adjusment, I.e. it goes from full power to 1/32nd power (which some sellers rather deceptively describe as 6 stops).
I only have my phone with me, and can't remember the details of the dial settings - not that the matter much - but if the OP wants to know them the complete solution is to email Lencarta, please don't phone as there are only a few key workers there, most are now working from home because of the Corona virus.

Got these dial settings for the power output in the end from Lencarta

Setting 5 = 1/32nd power
Setting 5.5 = 1/16th power
Setting 6 = 1/8th power
Setting 7 = 1/4 power
Setting 7.5 = 1/2 power
Setting 8 = 1/1 power

Back