Lencr.org - safety

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a bit of help on a small issue, if possible

I keep getting a pop up from McAfee that states that it has blocked a connection and to only allow it if sure that it is safe to do so.
It states:
App: Host Process for Windows Services
Destination: xl.c.lencr.org

I am not sure what I should do as a search seems to indicate that lencr.org is safe but there are a few comments that it might not be wise.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lencr.org is a domain owned by Lets Encrypt. They provide free SSL certificates for websites.

• Under c.lencr.org, we provide Certificate Revocation Lists (CRLs) listing all the unexpired certificates that we issued and later revoked.

The organisation is legit and safe but how that relates to the popup you are getting I'm not sure.

Do you have McAfee software installed on your computer? I often get spam emails claiming to be from McAfee and have had popups like you describe, yet I have never installed McAfee on any of my current computers. Be very wary and run whatever virus protection you have installed to get rid of potential adware or phishing nasties.

It seems you're not the only one.

I suspect that Microsoft is pulling the list of expired certificates from Lets Encrypt for their browser

Lencr.org is a domain owned by Lets Encrypt. They provide free SSL certificates for websites.

• Under c.lencr.org, we provide Certificate Revocation Lists (CRLs) listing all the unexpired certificates that we issued and later revoked.

The organisation is legit and safe but how that relates to the popup you are getting I'm not sure.

Do you have McAfee software installed on your computer? I often get spam emails claiming to be from McAfee and have had popups like you describe, yet I have never installed McAfee on any of my current computers. Be very wary and run whatever virus protection you have installed to get rid of potential adware or phishing nasties.
Yes I do have McAfee as my virus protector.
It seems you're not the only one.

I suspect that Microsoft is pulling the list of expired certificates from Lets Encrypt for their browser

Thanks both, i think that I will continue to block it. (y)
It is just a bit irritating as it doesn't just pop up when I switch on the pc, but at random intervals througout my useage.

personally as in IT professional of 1000s of years i now recommend people do no not install any 3rd party anti virus software
the defender software in w10/w11 is excellent, install malwarebytes and do the odd scan and you are done

personally as in IT professional of 1000s of years i now recommend people do no not install any 3rd party anti virus software
the defender software in w10/w11 is excellent, install malwarebytes and do the odd scan and you are done
Thank you.
if i were to install malwarebytes and choose to retain the Mcafee, would there be conflicts in my system?

Last edited:
Back