Lens adapter for a Sony / Minolta body

Name
And
Edit My Images
No
Hi, possibly a more obscure question than normally gets asked, but my father-in-law has a 300mm prime lens (I think it's a Leica) and he would like to use it on his Minolta body. He is aware it will be manual focus only and at present it has a pentax adapter on when he used it on his older Pentax body.

Does anyone know if

1) there is an adapter from Leica to Minolta or
2) there is an adapter from Pantax to Minolta

I appreciate, option 2 would mean using 2 adapters which would be far from ideal, but the questions out there, does any kind person have the answer :shrug:

you need to find out exactly what lens it is

there are 3 potential leica mounts

for example Leica R

Hi

The Pentax adapter is a screw thread, as is the Leica lens mount. Does this help (or not) :shrug:

Cheers (y)

One of those will allow a m42 screw mount to be used on a Minolta body, you won't need the Pentax one at all.

Thanks Mike

When you say the Pentax adapter won't be needed, is that because the Leica lens is M42 ?

careful.
Leica made cameras with an M39 mount, so the lens could easily be M39. But at least an M39-> M42 adapter is readily available.

The other thing to watch would be to be careful that the lens will focus at infinity with the adpaters in place. You would need to know the register distance for the different cameras to be sure. I dont have leicas or sony so have no idea on that aspect.

edit: reading on - I guess that the pentax adapter he is using is actually an m39->m42 ?

edit: reading on - I guess that the pentax adapter he is using is actually an m39->m42 ?

Not necessarily, it could be a M42 to K mount adapter which is very popular amongst Pentax users (I actually use one myself for a couple of M42 Vivitar macro lenses I have).

I think you need to know the exact mount of the lens before going further tbh.

Not necessarily, it could be a M42 to K mount adapter which is very popular amongst Pentax users (I actually use one myself for a couple of M42 Vivitar macro lenses I have).

I think you need to know the exact mount of the lens before going further tbh.

I think this is the lens adapter being used - I'm going to call round later on to have a look, see if any adapter markings etc are present.

Thanks for all your advice, will keep you up to speed (y)

Cheers

Andy

You said that both the lens and the adapter had screw threads?

Leica have used several mounts - some bayonet and the M39 screw.

Pentax have used bayonet and M42 screw.

The number 42/39 is the diameter of the screw thread in mm. So if you measure across the lens and adapter in mm that will differentiate the m39 and m42 threads.

To be totally acurate you also need the thread pitch because there are a couple of very similar threads T1/T2 etc (I'm not sure how all the various T's vary). I think M42 has a pitch of 1thread/mm and t2 is .75 thread/mm but that could be rubbish.

google and wikipedia will have answers of varying degrees of reliability.

You probably need one of these (M42 Sony / KM adaptor)

DSC_1614-m42.jpg

About £20 - works with M42 with AF confirm.

Spoken to SRB - what a very helpfull and genuine guy - and they had an adapter from the Leica screw thread to a Minolta AF body, hopefully will be with us tomorrow, (y)

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice - if it works (!) will try to post a picture up (y)

Just to update all those who offered help and advice, the adapter arrived from SRB and after some manipulation in the camera settings, everything works. Had a 1/2 hour lesson from my father-in-law on how to use a manual lens - can now understand why he knows so much about exposure etc.

Thanks again to everyone (y)

Back