Beginner Lens adapter to fit a Pentax K mount lens onto a Canon EOS 100D, I think.

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I'm a newbie with a Canon 100D and loving it.
Want to do a few night sky shots and bought a secondhand Sigma Zoom 18-200mm DC 062 lens online from Oxfam.
I had checked, in my newbie capacity, and some sites said DC meant Canon compatible.
However upon receiving it today and getting all excited, it's the wrong mount. Doh!

It has 5 small gold ball shape connectors as apposed to the seven squarer connectors on my Canon lenses.
It also says for SA/KPR on the protective cover.

Following a YouTube search I am led to believe this is a Pentax K mount (?) and a simple adapter ring will get me on my way.
Is this right and also, what about the electronic connectors.
I've seen one with a chip and connectors on one side but not the other.
What will I loose by not connecting the pins to the camera body?

Thanks
Pete

You can get an adaptor, but you’ll not end up with a compatible lens, just one that fits.

Sell it and buy a canon fit, cheaper in the long run as well as being better

Exactly what Phil said. That lens cannot work properly with that camera - if you bought online fairly recently then you may be able to return it.

DC means the lens is designed for digital cameras with a crop sensor like your canon.

FWIW that lens isn't going to do night sky pictures well. You need a wide angle lens with a large aperture - ideally f1.8 or wider (aperture numbers get smaller for a bigger aperture) unless you want star trails only.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
Just bought it online for £50, so can easily return it as within 14 days.
Sounds like I need to start saving my pennies and doing more research before hitting "buy" next time.

Thanks.
Much appreciated for help and both the sites.
It is quite daunting for a newbie with so much gear out there and an alphabet of specs to wade through. :)

I did notice that the 30mm and 17-50mm you listed have 10 gold contacts each where as my two lenses, kit 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 and 50mm 1.8 both have 7.
I found a wikipedia page (Canon_EF_lens_mount) that mentions the extra pins are used by a teleconvertor.
Could I just plug and play without a converter?

Thanks.
Much appreciated for help and both the sites.
It is quite daunting for a newbie with so much gear out there and an alphabet of specs to wade through. :)

I did notice that the 30mm and 17-50mm you listed have 10 gold contacts each where as my two lenses, kit 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 and 50mm 1.8 both have 7.
I found a wikipedia page (Canon_EF_lens_mount) that mentions the extra pins are used by a teleconvertor.
Could I just plug and play without a converter?

Yes, both lenses should fit and work with no additional kit required.

You've got the idea that there are different lens mounts for different makes, and also different mounts within the makes. For your canon you want EOS mount lenses, usually just abbreviated to EF mount. Another difference (that won't be a problem for you - your camera has a smaller crop size sensor, also called APS-C) is that some lenses are designed to work on crop only (EF-S) and some on full frame & crop (EF mount). If in doubt when considering buying a lens, don't hesitiate to ring the shop to check it will fit.

If you're searching for used lenses, try usedlens.co.uk - the site is run by Dan Cook who is a TP member. It's a really useful resource for finding kit, aggregating results from a vast array of dealers, though it can be a little overwhelming at first for the sheer quantity of information it provides.

Last edited:
Perfect.
Have added the sites to my favourites.
Need to get out and start shooting more now and hopefully start uploading some pictures.
Thanks once again for your help in demystifying things.

While you are working towards a faster lens have a go with your kit lens.

This was taken is a single shot with a K5 and the 18-55mm kit lens at 18mm/f3.5(it maximum aperture), 20s and an ISO of 3200. It is a long way from a good shot but shows a modest lens can get something.

O2 by Dave Marley, on Flickr

Dave

Back