lens advice buying from USA

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

New to the forum, so firstly let me congratulate you all on a great place to spend time.

I am a new DSLR user, got a Canon EOS 30D with the 17-85 lens. My dad is going over to New York in the next week, and has offered to get me some kit if I want it.

I have been looking at a bigger lens, say a 70-300. I am after a good lens, as I am hoping to get better at this (with the help of talk | photography) and therefore dont want to buy a cheap (£150) lens now only to have to upgrade it at a later date.

So can anyone advice me on the best lens to go for, as I would very much appreciate the help.

Thanks and keep up the great site.

What is your budget?

the 75-300 in any of the variants is just not that sharp. If you can afford it, the sigma 70-200 2.8 or the canon 70-200 f4 would be much better. more money? the sigma 100-300 offers a lot of range, f4 throughout that range, and isn't super expensive. past that, I like the canon 300 4 IS, but its a prime, which means its really sharp, but no zoom.

Hope I've helped.

Max

If you buy from NY, buy from B&H (bhphotovideo.com) - they are one of the cheapest and most reputable companies.

Be aware that warranties may require the lens to be shipped back to the US>

If you buy from NY, buy from B&H (bhphotovideo.com) - they are one of the cheapest and most reputable companies.

Be aware that warranties may require the lens to be shipped back to the US>

Or Adorama

70-200 F4 is a steal at US prices ($580 or £325) but I would probably go for a 100-400 ($1400 or £780). The Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG Macro HSM is $890 or £495 for comparison.

Back