Lens Advice for Paris trip

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

I am off to Paris in October for 4 days and will be taking my D7200 with me.

I only want to take 2 lenses with me due to weight restrictions and wanting to keep things simple (going as a tourist for the first time with friends, not as a camera excursion)

I have the following lenses

Nikon 35mm 1.8G
Nikon 50mm 1.8D
Tamron 18-200mm 3.5-6.3 VC
Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 VC.

Now the question is which of the 4 would you take?

I have also considered getting something wider like the Sigma 10-20 3.5 or the Tokina 11-16 2.8.

Opinions please

The Tamron 17-50 would be my only lens. Just having the one lens is liberating and will cover pretty much everything IMHO. Hell, I'd just go with a good quality compact if push came to shove.

I agree with sideshow (and not just because he has a picture of King Kenny as his avatar ;)). For city breaks I've always used short zooms and never needed anything else. I used to take a telephoto too but never used them so just take something like a 24-70 eq or similar. In fact I recently sold all of my m4/3 gear and just bought a G7x for such trips. If I ever go somewhere I really want to capture better IQ (not that there's much wrong with the G7x) I've always got the D750 and 24-120mm, but generally the G7x does just fine.

The Tamron 17-50 and Tokina 11-16 would be my choices. I had the Tokina and its an bargain for the price. You would be surprised how much you will use it for cityscapes.

I use to bring my 35mm and 50mm primes with me on holidays but found I would never use them so don't bother anymore.

18-200 and an ultrawide. Maybe even just the 18-200 and put the cost of an ultrawide towards either getting around on this visit or a revisit.

Went Paris a couple of years ago did it with sigma 17-70. Some places won't let you use flash so be aware of that. We got tickets or bato boats they are hop on hop off going up and down the river. They stop at all the main places

I'd appreciate the speed and wide enough view from the 35 1.8! I went recently with just a 50 and found it quite limiting.

I did Rome in the summer with my Tokina 12-24. Was nice to be able to get things in the frame but everything was curved. Wish I'd have taken 18-105 and 35mm to be honest

Back