Lens advice please...

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I'm new to the digital SLR scene and recently purchased a Nikon D40x along with the 18-55 kit lens.

Now I'd like to buy a telephoto lens that will give me decent results but won't break the bank. I've narrowed it down to 3, possibly 4. Here they are:-

1. Sigma 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 DG APO Macro

2. Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro

3. Nikon AF-S VR 55–200mm f/4–5.6G IF-ED

4. AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

The Nikon is the most expensive followed by the Sigma with the Tamron being the cheapest. I have heard good reports about the Nikon VR lens, but I realise it is the shortest, plus it doesn't have the macro facility. I don't know much about the Tamron (still trying to get info) and the Sigma seems to get pretty good reviews.

I quite favour the Sigma up to now, but I'd like to get your opinions to be honest.

Thanks in advance

3. Nikon AF-S VR 55–200mm f/4–5.6G IF-ED

Top choice easily.

The Sigma will autofocus if it's the 'HSM' model, and this is available.

The Tamron will also autofocus, but again make sure you get the right model.

The Nikon 55-200 VR is a superb lens, speaking from personal experience. I had one, but got fed up with swapping it for the 18-55 for wide angle, so I sold it and paid the extra for the 18-200 VR which is another superb lens and worth the extra.

The plan is to see how it goes with a cheaper telephoto zoom until I can upgrade to an all-in-one such as the 18-200 VR in the near future. Until then, I'll have to make do having to change the lenses for now...

I do seem to be reading plenty of good things about the Sigma APO 70-300 at the moment though. For the price it seems to be quite popular.

Just watch the quality with Sigma as it can be very variable. If you do buy one, make sure you buy it from somewhere you can return it to if you get a poot image quality one

Go for number 3, for just over £100 off Ebay for a new gray import one you really can't beat it the value for money stakes. I wouldn't buy a cheap Sigma lens, even if I was using your money :LOL:

Back