Lens advice - super telephoto for trekking

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I have a friend who is looking for some advice regarding a super telephoto lens. I'm not very familiar with canons line up of lenses, so I thought I would ask here for advice that I could pass onto him.

So, for a bit of background info. My friend is off to...somewhere...cambodia? Somewhere around that region, to go trekking through the rainforest for a couple of weeks tracking gorillas I believe. He wants something which is going to be more capable and produce better results than his Tamron 70 - 300. He currently has a 500d, however he is seriously considering upgrading the body before his expedition to something that will cope with rainforest conditions a little better. Possibly something along the lines of a 50d or 7d for weather sealing, without loosing the extra magnification from a crop sensor.

There are a few requirements he wants to fulfil;

As greater zoom as possible without any great degredation in image quality, possibly utilising teleconverters / extenders.

Durable, as it will be in the rainforest being carried with all the supplies they need such as food, tents etc. It will also need to withstand the climate (high humidity).

Weight, the previous point leads me onto weight. All the expedition members will be carrying their own equipment - such as tents etc, so weight must be considered. Whilst he is quite fit and healthy, he will be expected to trek through a rainforest with this equipment for 8+ hours a day so he cannot go wild with the weight.

Autofocus needs to be capable in varying light conditions, I also don't imagine he will want to be faffing around with lens + TC setups that will cause the effective aperture to be so small as to stop autofocus working. This is what stopped his idea of having a bigma with a TC.

Any lens will ideally need to be black, or have covers readily available - as one of canons good old white lenses will stick out like a sore thumb in the rainforest and could potentially disturb, distract or attract unwanted attention from the wildlife.

------

He has been looking at one of the big sigmas. I think this is a fairly reasonable idea, however the weight could potentially be a little much. He is also considering a canon 100-400mm. Possibly with a 1.4x tc.

I see the logic in both of these lenses, however I have also been leaning towards suggesting a 70-200mm 2.8 to him with a 2x tc incase he is in a situation where he can get fairly close or the lighting is particularly poor. I'm not sure, but I think this suggestion may also be a little bit lighter than a bigma or 100-400mm.

Any suggestions or advice? Or by a sheer stroke of luck, has anyone else done anything similar who could share their experiances? (y)

From what you are describing, I think your friend would be better off with a bridge camera. Having done alot of walking and Wales and the Lake District with camera gear (OK not the jungle), but weight is one of your major factors and when you start adding lenses and camera's to the equation, the weight goes up.

The problem is, the conditions he would be photographing in are pretty harsh, you would need a camera with very good ISO capability (weather proofed) and better lenses with a minimum aperture of f2.8 maybe like a 70-200 mm f2.8 but more likely prime lenses.

The sigma 50-500 mm wouldn't work, its f6.3 too slow for those conditions and a 2x TC wouldn't work either unless you have good light conditions.

The 7D ISO capability is average, although there are means to improve its images like processing noise outside the camera in lightroom. The 5D tick for ISO, but the autofocus system not great for tracking moving subjects and both have limited weather proofing compared to the 1D series camera's.

It really depends on his budget, but we ain't talking £500\600 here, more like £1000s for the camera and lenses.

http://pbertner.wordpress.com/your-photography-trip/
http://pbertner.wordpress.com/equipment-and-reviews/
http://calevphoto.com/2008/11/30/what-equipment-to-bring-on-a-jungle-trek/
http://topeljungle.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/photography-and-jungle.html
http://www.jaycampbellphotography.com/tag/photography-equipment/
http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/magazine/articles/advice/shooting-photographs-in-the-jungle?page=all
http://rising.blackstar.com/seven-tips-for-making-photographs-in-the-jungle.html

I went to Uganda last year looking for gorillas and I took with me a Sigma 150-500mm. I wouldn't recommend taking anything this big. 500mm was far too long for anything in the jungle and even 150 was too much on occasions when we saw gorillas. I couldn't back up far enough to get any decent shots. Fortunately I also had a Canon 18-135mm on a second body and that saw much more use than the Sigma.

If I were to go again I think my 70-300L would be more than sufficient but I think if I were to pick a lens solely for this purpose I'd probably be looking at a 70-200 f2.8 or maybe Sigma 120-300 f2.8. F6.3 is far too slow for use in the jungle and even at the 150 end and f4.5 it was a struggle to get decent shutter speeds at lower ISOs.

Thanks for the advice guys, I hadn't considered how dense the jungle might be which could lead to framing isssues with a longer lens, nor did I realise how dark it would likely be to get usable shutter speeds and iso.

As for weight, I think he will be ok as long as he doesn't go crazy.A half way decent body and a couple of lenses will probably be his limit.

I will pass this info onto him, if anyone has any other useful advice dont be shy :)

Well, he won't be seeing many gorillas in Cambodia!

The best bet between weight, focal length, aperture and image quality will depend on just how close he gets to the gorillas - which will depend on whether they're habituated to humans or not.

I went to Rwanda to see the Mountain Gorillas and took my 100-400. I got some good pics, but I'd have been better off with something shorter. If I go again I'd use a 70-200 f2.8.

However, it sounds as if your friend isn't going on a namby-pamby trip like mine, so I doubt that he'll be getting as close. In which case I reckon the 100-400 will be the best bet.

Here's my 100-400 images from Rwanda - LINK.

hollis_f said:
Well, he won't be seeing many gorillas in Cambodia!

The best bet between weight, focal length, aperture and image quality will depend on just how close he gets to the gorillas - which will depend on whether they're habituated to humans or not.

I went to Rwanda to see the Mountain Gorillas and took my 100-400. I got some good pics, but I'd have been better off with something shorter. If I go again I'd use a 70-200 f2.8.

However, it sounds as if your friend isn't going on a namby-pamby trip like mine, so I doubt that he'll be getting as close. In which case I reckon the 100-400 will be the best bet.

Here's my 100-400 images from Rwanda - LINK.

Thanks, ill pass on this information to my friend as I should be seeing him this evening to help goad him towards a decision as time is slowly running out before he leaves.

Oh and sorry for the slow response, I didn't realise anyone else had responded to this thread.

Faddius I don't suppose you could ask your friend who he is going with? Is it a company? if so I'd love to know the name of them as that's the sort of thing I'd like to do but can't really find any companies that do it. Even the likes of Dragoman and GAdventures don't go that far, usually involving staying in hotels instead.

Amp34 said:
Faddius I don't suppose you could ask your friend who he is going with? Is it a company? if so I'd love to know the name of them as that's the sort of thing I'd like to do but can't really find any companies that do it. Even the likes of Dragoman and GAdventures don't go that far, usually involving staying in hotels instead.

Ill ask him, I should be seeing him tomorrow. I have the sneaking feeling that as he's been active in wildlife conservation for a while, he's built up contacts and friends and one of those contacts has arranged this trip and invited him along.

I may be wrong though, but ill try to find out for you (y)

Oh and it's Cameroon he's going to, not Cambodia. I knew it was c-something :bonk:

Ill ask him, I should be seeing him tomorrow. I have the sneaking feeling that as he's been active in wildlife conservation for a while, he's built up contacts and friends and one of those contacts has arranged this trip and invited him along.

I may be wrong though, but ill try to find out for you (y)

Thanks. :)

What you said would make sense as it seems those sort of trips are always organised by small groups/friends rather than companies. Unfortunately I don't know any small groups and don't have the time to go on long trips with organisations at the moment (did a couple in the past)...

Spoke to my friend, this trip is actually being organised through a company. They're Africa based and apparantly David Attenborough has done some promotional videos for them so my friend is hoping they're half way decent if Attenborough is willing to lend his name to their reputation.

They're called impact Africa if you want to hunt hunting them down on the Internet.

Haven't read the entire thread but...

• Crop sensor does not magnify anything. It's a cropped image of a FF sensor. I know what you meant but hey.
  • 70-200 f/2.8 is not any smaller than 100-400 it's about the same size. Weighs quite a bit. f/4 versions are much smaller and feels about half the size and weight so maybe think about those instead. I have an f/4 IS version and it's fantastic.
  • 70-300L is pretty compact. It's a modern lens with great IQ from what I hear. 70-300 DO is smaller still but I heard it's not that good.
  • From his requirements, maybe the 1D series is the way to go. Great AF and it'll certainly stand up to rainforest conditions. You can pick up a mark IIn or III fairly cheaply. They do weigh a **** tonne though. So maybe a 7D is a better choice after all :LOL:

Quite apart from the fact that the Sigma 150-500 is probably too long, it's also a big, heavy beast to lug around - the main reason I sold mine on!

Not sure how weatherproof bridges are - my Fuji HS30 would fit the bill in almost every other respect but I wouldn't like to trust it in a rain forest!

I think my friend has settled on a 70-200 with a 2x tc incase he needs a bit of extra reach, and a standard range lens for general use & landscapes even if it won't go super wide.

Spoke to my friend, this trip is actually being organised through a company. They're Africa based and apparantly David Attenborough has done some promotional videos for them so my friend is hoping they're half way decent if Attenborough is willing to lend his name to their reputation.

They're called impact Africa if you want to hunt hunting them down on the Internet.

Thanks. Just had a quick google and seem to have found them although my most feared words came up... "Volunteer" and "Gap Year"... Anything with those in the title are normally twice as expensive as comparable trips without them.:bonk: Hopefully I'm wrong though!:)

Amp34 said:
Thanks. Just had a quick google and seem to have found them although my most feared words came up... "Volunteer" and "Gap Year"... Anything with those in the title are normally twice as expensive as comparable trips without them.:bonk: Hopefully I'm wrong though!:)

Hah, well my friend said his trip is somewhere around the £900 mark, his main other expense is flights and (I think) camping gear.

Back