lens advice to replace Canon 18-55mm

Edit My Images
No
I've been talking to myself quite a lot today trying to make a decision on my next lens purchase.
I was pretty much fixed on the idea of the EF70-200mm f4.0 L USM (bit miffed about the extra £90 for the tripod collar tho). But then I start looking at a lot of my pictures and realising that what a lot of people are saying about my pictures being soft is right (as some will know from my pictures I've put up in various members galleries about the net).

So off I trundle through the internet reading many many reviews about the lens I currently have (18-55) that came with the 300D and the consensus of opinion seems to be that its "soft" and lacks quality. Now I know a bad workman does indeed blame his tools but I cant help feeling that my pictures are suffering as a direct result. I know photoshop can cure some problems but my ultimate aim is to oneday sell some of my work and who knows make enough money to keep me in beer for the weekend ;)

I've since then returned from the Canon 18-55 bashing to make another search for a suitable replacement lens. Now what I'm after is something with a little more range than the 18-55 that will compliment the EF70-200mm f4.0 L USM that I will purchase at a later date (when funds allow).

I'm looking at (guide prices)
1. Canon EF Zoom Lens - 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM £160
2. Canon EF Zoom Lens - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM £300
3. Canon EF Zoom Lens - 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM £900

Yes I know the last one is £900 and a daft amount of money but is it worth it for the quality? Would my photogrpahy really benefit from this lens or should I be aiming at the lower priced usm lenses?
I'm in a complete quandry and would welcome any advice.

You might want to consider the Tamron 28-75
In the Lens test guide it is only bettered by two lenses from the canon stable, and by not very much. It also comes in at a very reasonable price £264.99 from Warehouse Express.

Canon EF 2.8 24-70mm USM L............................. 4.16 (3) = very-good
Canon EF 2.8 28-70mm USM L............................. 4.15 (5) = very-good
Tamron AF 2.8 28-75mm LD XR Aspherical............4.14 (3) = very-good

You have two choices for the collar for the 70-200.

Tripod Mount Ring A (white, #2889A002)
Tripod Mount Ring A (black, #2888A002)

I'm lead to believe you can save £40 if you choose to purchase the black version.

There's a big difference between 18mm and 28mm, so you'd be struggling for wide-angle with some of the lenses you suggest. It's worth considering the Canon 17-40L which is sharp and not too expensive for something with the L badge. I use this and the 28-135IS which is not bad at all. Or you may find that the 50mm f/1.8 fills the gap sufficently between 40mm and 70mm. If you haven't already got the 50mm f/1.8, I'd be tempted to get that first. It's a very good and cheap lens, and if you don't get sharp pics with that there's something wrong somewhere. :) It's also good for macro shots with extension tubes.

My personal view here on some of the lenses mentioned based entirely on my use of them. Firstly forget about the Canon 24-70L as its price is bordering on ridiculous. Although this lens is an absolute stunner, the Tamron 28-75 LD XR Aspherical produces better pictures pound for pound. I have had the pleasure of using the Canon 24-70L for just over a year for wedding photography, then I invested in my own gear. As I couldn’t afford or justify the Canon I did some research and bought the Tamron as a direct replacement length wise. The quality was so good that on many occasions I chose to use the Tamron over the Canon to allow a second person to learn the ropes for the studio. I could post you two images from a 10D shot at the same wedding, one with the Canon and one with the Tamron and I doubt that you would be able to tell me which was from which. Obviously this is only part of the story, the Canon is better built, slightly faster at focusing and will retain most of its value should you want to sell it on, also if used with a pro level camera offers weather sealing.

Whilst talking about Tamron, their wide angle lens from the same range is absolutely superb (17-35 F2.8 LD XR Di), not only is it cheaper than the cost of the Canon 17-40L, but it is also faster being as it goes down to F2.8 where the Canon stops at F4. This is a great lens, I have shot using this lens side by side with my 17-40L and again the quality is almost as good. Now the slight problem here is that the cost difference is not as great (the 17-40 L can be had for about £500) and so the difference can be more easily justified by using the arguments above. Either the Canon or the Tamron will not disappoint though depending on the budget and both will knock spots of the 18-55 kit lens.

Silkstone has mentioned the Canon 50mm F1.8 MkII. This is a real must for everyone, no serious amateur photographer using Canon equipment should be without this in their bag. It’s small (really small), light, fast, very cheap and sharp beyond belief. Not only is it capable of producing stunning shots, it is adaptable with extension tubes to create a massively useful macro lens and with it being a fixed focal length, will make you work and think about your compositions. Laziness in your framing while using this lens will not be met with any forgiveness. This is also a great close portrait lens, should you become confident enough to work with people. 7Dayshop currently have stock and are selling it for £55 Inc vat.

All these lenses have a place in my bag and have brought me stunning results time and time again. My preference if I was in your position would be for wide angle and to replace the kit lens..either the Canon 17-40 F4 L or the Tamron 17-35 F2.8 LD XR Di if extra speed or budget restrictions apply. For mid range definitely the Tamron 24-75 F2.8, and add in the Canon 50MM F1.8 MKII as funds allow. Extension tubes would then be next on my list, the 3 size Kenko set for the Canon can be bought for around £90 and can be added at any time in the future.

Hope that helps a little?

If you need any image examples form the above lenses, let me know and I will try to dig some out for you.

Many thanks for the help and I'll be trotting off to see what I can find locally and have a play with later today :D You've saved me a few pennies thats for sure ;)

Have you got a link to the 3 size kenko set you mention?

Jase - As an alternative to the Kenko tubes, Jessops do a set of three auto tubes for Canon EOS at around £75 - I think that's what I paid! They work fine, and are well made. :)

Thanks for that Silky ;) I'll go and pester the local store over the weekend

GSVJase said:
Thanks for that Silky ;) I'll go and pester the local store over the weekend

I actually use the Jessops tubes myself but have a very large store in Manchester that holds stock. I have been told that Jessops don't carry stock of these at minor branches and so thats why I recommended the Kenko as they can be had next day delivery mail order from Warehouse Express for a similar price. Its always worth giving your local Jessops a shout first though, just in case.

Warehouse Express linky then go to "photographic>Extention Tubes>Kenko" Canon AF fitting comprising of three tubes for £89.

Hope that helps?

Thanks Steve ;) Just rang my local stores and told about 7-10 days to get them into the store!!

I think I'll have to stagger the purchases so I can still eat over the coming months [smilie=w:

Hmm, i'm in a similar situation myself here.

How good is the Tamron?

at £200 cheaper it's a very tempting proposition for me over the 17-40L but i'm thinking i might then find myself wanting the 28-75 as well!

Are the jessops teleplus converter the same as Kenko ones?

Also do you think the tripod ring is a worthwhile purchase for the 70-200L?

cheers!

The Edge said:
Hmm, i'm in a similar situation myself here.

How good is the Tamron?

at £200 cheaper it's a very tempting proposition for me over the 17-40L but i'm thinking i might then find myself wanting the 28-75 as well!

I am not sure what you are saying here now..are you asking about the Tamron 17-35 or the Tamron 28-75..if the latter then see my answer further up the page, if the 17-35 then not as good as the Canon but far better than the kit lens and very capable of returning excellent results. Matt (also known elsewhere as Matt E) uses one of these lenses and has got some stunning and consistent results often comparable to the Canon 17-40 L. Remember it is not as fast both in terms of light and speed of focusing, is not quiet as well built and has noisier AF motors.

The Edge said:
Are the jessops teleplus converter the same as Kenko ones?

Not the same but the same lengths. Remember that the tubes are exactly that, they have no glass whatsoever, and are just different length rings with metal bars that run through then to make the contacts for auto focus and F stops between the camera and lens. As no glass is involved the quality between one set of tubes to another is purely build and won't effect the picture at all. Both the Kenko and Jessops tubes are well manufactured and should serve you well irrespective of which you buy.

The Edge said:
Also do you think the tripod ring is a worthwhile purchase for the 70-200L?
cheers!

That depends on your use of the lens and how you intend to support it. My advice would be to not get the ring at first and see how you get along, it can always be had added at later date if you feel it is necessary.

I have the Tamron 17-35 and am considering the 28-75
I have used the 17-40 to compare with the Tamron and it is hard to tell them apart.

The Jessops tubes are a bargain at the price.
I also have them in my bag.

Kenko set comes with a 36,20 and 12mm tube, stacked comes to 68mm.
Jessops set comes with a 31,21 and 13mm tube, stacked comes to 65mm.

Sorry steve, i wasn't very specific there!!

I was talking about the 17-35, i had the 28-75 in nikon fit and it was great so i wouldn't hesitate to buy one if i felt i needed one :)

The Canon 17-40 can be found for the same price as the Tamron (albeit excluding postage and duty) on ebay from Hong Kong retailers, but i have doubts over using them. Some say they will reimburse any import duty, but there must be a catch somewhere!

I should get my 10D saturday all being well :D[/b]

Importing is always a tricky area, although big saving can be had I have never gone along that route. I know of one of our members that has though (several times from the same supplier) and has saved a small fortune, maybe if you are interested I can ask him to post you the name of the supplier and you can consider that?

I have uploaded a few photos taken with the 50MM lens and extension tubes to show what it is capable of. You can see them here

Hope that helps.

Nice pics :)

My level of english seems to be poor tonight, my earlier post doesn't make sense!

When i asked about the teleconverter, i meant are the teleplus converters the same make as the kenko teleconverters? the reason i ask is that there was one on ebay and the photo showed the box labelled "Kenko Teleplus"

Sorry about the confusion, i'll proof read next time!!

This thread is getting very confusing :D

I have just doug out the box for my convertor..it says "Kenko TELEPLUS PRO 300DG" it is very important that you get the pro 300 as this is the much higher quality glass version. Mine is also the very latest model (just a few weeks old) and has "for digital" hense the DG written on it, I know that they recently upgraded it slightly but weather or not the upgrade was just to include "for digital and DG" on the labeling I couldn't say. One last thing, this convertor can be bought in either black (like mine) or off white/grey to match the colour of the majority of Canon "L" lenses.

I hope that helps a little more and look forward to seeing some pics with the 10D when it arrives :)

Steve said:
Importing is always a tricky area, although big saving can be had I have never gone along that route. I know of one of our members that has though (several times from the same supplier) and has saved a small fortune, maybe if you are interested I can ask him to post you the name of the supplier and you can consider that?

Would be very interested to know ;)

When confusion reigns, Silky is not far behind, so...

I have a Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 1.4x TC which is labelled, er, 1.4X TELEPLUS PRO 300 on one side, and KENKO C-AF Made in Japan on the other. It is the off-white version, which matches the 300mm f/4L that I bought it to use with. There is no DG so I guess it's an older version than Steve's. I can't really see why it should make any difference whether you're using one of these things on a film or digital camera, but the marketing boys will undoubtedly have had a say in this. :wink:

It seems a bit hit-and-miss whether Customs & Excise pay attention to imports from HK. So far I've not had to pay anything, but there is always the risk. Some HK suppliers try to get around the rules by declaring it as a gift, or putting a false value on it. I'd be happy to buy a TC (no moving parts apart from the mount lock) or cheaper stuff from HK, but I'd rather pay a bit more and buy anything expensive or fragile from a UK supplier, just in case. Things never seem such good value if they're faulty.

I'm a big fan of the 17-40L

I got one a wee while ago and used it on my previous camera and it captured stunning detail, :)
Although I now lose out on focal range over my 18-55 kit lens, I haven't found it to be something the Reebok zoom can't cure.

One thing about my 17-40L though, which might be worth taking note of if your considering importing.........
My first lens was faulty, on the first photoshoot I did with it, I couldn't get a sharp image which I thought was because of the subject and the lighting I was playing with.
I switched it to MF and noticed the concern, the lens just wouldn't stop trying to auto focus :shock: :eek:

I returned to the shop with the lens and got a replacement, would you get that with an internet buy?

Hmm thats a good point!

I've ordered a kenko adaptor from HK to test the water, but as you say if you buy a lens and get a faulty one (Unlikely though this is) things are much less easy to put right!

I'd love to disagree but fortunately I can't. The 17-40 L has given me some stunning images that I am very proud of. :)

Thats it an extra line on this weekends lottery and if I win the jackpot its "L" lenses for everyone and a trip to 7dayshops warehouse on my private jet to pick them up!!!

Plan B is some more overtime over the next few weeks to pay for it :(

/crosses fingers and hopes jase comes good

mines a 70-200 f2.8 L IS

:D

I am now the proud owner od a 10D and a 70-200 f4L

Battery charged, fun tomorrow :D

The Edge said:
I am now the proud owner od a 10D and a 70-200 f4L

Battery charged, fun tomorrow :D

No, No, No, not more competition [smilie=s:

Its a potent combination thats capable of producing stunning photographs. I am sure that you will adapt quickly and will soon be getting some great shots. What do you have planned for your first shoot?

digitalfailure said:

mines a 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Sorry but more overtime to get some more tickets for next weeks draw :(

No, No, No, not more competition [smilie=s:

Its a potent combination thats capable of producing stunning photographs. I am sure that you will adapt quickly and will soon be getting some great shots. What do you have planned for your first shoot?[/quote]

I won't be much of a threat for a while :)

I'm going round the Birmingham Nature Centre for a play this morning, and then possibly Cannon Hill Park which is next door to it. With just the one lens i'm a little inflexible at the mmoment, but will at least be able to get started.

GSVJase said:
digitalfailure said:

mines a 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Sorry but more overtime to get some more tickets for next weeks draw :(

Typical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have one thing to do, and you can't mange to get it right. :eek:

I'm off for a sulk

:wink:

I've been watching this thread with great interest: have I now got this right....................:D

Dear Father Christmas,

Please can I have the following lenses in my stocking on Christmas morning:
1. Tamron 17-35mm LD,XR,Di, f2.8
2. Tamron 28-75mm LD, XR, f2.8
3. Canon 50mm Mk ll, f1.8
4. Canon 70-200 L IS, f2.8

Plus a set of extension tubes

Mummy and Daddy say I've been a VERY good girl all year long!!

Thank you very much
love from
Photostar
xx

PS: **** *** to all those who don't like the word Christmas........It's my letter!:LOL:

Watching or reading? Last post was over a year and a half ago :)

Right? It's your wish list :)

I take it you want a bigger aperture than the 17-85 in your sig? I've been using the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 again lately and it is so much brighter in the viewfinder to work with than the 17-40 f4.

I'm still looking for an ideal walkabout lens but I don't think it exists.

Back