Lens advice

Edit My Images
No
HI guys, im new to these forums and have come across some good information and advice.

I'm now after some advice on buying my first lens which i never got with my 450D.

I've got the 18-55mm kit lens, and i got the Tamron 70-300mm in a bundle.

I find myself using more of the 70-300mm lens when out and about as i take pictures of rallys and track days but think this lens is holding me back a little quality wise.

Could anyone give any advice on what i should look for. Budget is "around" £450.

Thanks

perhaps consider a 70-200 f4 second hand, good glass and not too expensive, should be in budget s/h. the only thing is its shorter than your current lens, dont know if that will affect anything

The canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS about £420 is definitely a step up from your tamron and fits nicely within your budget.

I've got this lens and got some cracking shots at Outon Park on Monday with it. Was generally using up to 200mm, but there were a few shots across Cascades where I was at 300mm (and could have poss done with slightly more). Would def recommend it. (y)

perhaps consider a 70-200 f4 second hand, good glass and not too expensive, should be in budget s/h. the only thing is its shorter than your current lens, dont know if that will affect anything

I have been looking at these, are they around £550 new? Not to fussed about the length.

I've got this lens and got some cracking shots at Outon Park on Monday with it. Was generally using up to 200mm, but there were a few shots across Cascades where I was at 300mm (and could have poss done with slightly more). Would def recommend it. (y)

Do you have any pictures of you have taken with this lens please for me to browse.

thats the one, but as long as you dont use the last 100mm of your current lens would be a good starting point before going down the expensive l glass route.

If you're thinking about a 70-200 f/4 L without IS, be sure that it is not camera shake that is robbing you of image quality on your Tamron.

From what you say, I reckon the 70-300 IS sounds perfect and spot on budget. It's a personal thing, but I honestly wouldn't buy any long lens without IS.

I have just been reading into camera shake and it has been said that IS can interfear when you are following moving odjects like cars and bikes and cause blur in your images. So would it be silly for me to go with a lens that has IS when i'm photographing moving objects.

Thanks so far for the advice!

I have just been reading into camera shake and it has been said that IS can interfear when you are following moving odjects like cars and bikes and cause blur in your images. So would it be silly for me to go with a lens that has IS when i'm photographing moving objects.

Thanks so far for the advice!

No, wouldn't be silly for a lens with IS for moving objects. The 70-300 IS has 2 settings - 1 for just hand held (ie stationary) and 2 for when panning. I think (not sure which) some other lenses have an automatic feature that detects your panning or mounted on a tripod.

Don't forget - You don't have to switch the IS on, you can use without (y)

The question may be (if going for the 70-200 L) can you afford / justify the extra cost of IS over non IS :shrug:

Do you have any pictures of you have taken with this lens please for me to browse.

Hi

I can't upload any photo's here - if you PM me your e-mail address, I will e-mail a couple of photos to you :)

It's a long shot but you might get a 100-300mm f4 Sigma for the money and its a cracker

It's a long shot but you might get a 100-300mm f4 Sigma for the money and its a cracker
personally a great lens, but saw one at london camera exchange 2nd hand and it was going for £700, that was the price new this time last year. Brand new now, the price has rocketed to over a grand. its :annoyed: now much lens prices have increased its enough to drive you to :beer:

Just been browsing through my shots and alot aretaken over 200mm, i might miss that extra 100mm if i go for a 70-200. I'd have to be lucky to get a sigma for the budget i was looking at. Anyone got one going cheap :)

personally a great lens, but saw one at london camera exchange 2nd hand and it was going for £700, that was the price new this time last year. Brand new now, the price has rocketed to over a grand. its :annoyed: now much lens prices have increased its enough to drive you to :beer:

Is that the one at Aperture UK? Yeah £699:wacky:

The odd one slips through Ebay at under £500 though, keep those eyes peeled:crowded:

Back