Lens advice

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I have a 400D with the kit 18-55mm lens, and a 55-200 USM and a niffty fifty.
I am looking at replacing the kit lens, I have been looking at the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, can any body give me insights to this lens ie is it any good or do you much more vastly experianced heads have a couple of alternative ideas.

All help and ideas would be gratefully recieved.

Cheerz:woot:

Budget and requirements? i could keep going all day otherwise ;)

Budget and requirements? i could keep going all day otherwise ;)

Geordie69 - Yeah please save us from that :LOL: - How much do you want to spend & whatdya want to shoot?
Paul ;)

Have a look at the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5. I have one and can highly recommend it. You'll pick one up for around £230. Review HERE (y)

Geordie69 - Yeah please save us from that :LOL: - How much do you want to spend & whatdya want to shoot?
Paul ;)

:D Cheeky beggar! :LOL:

Back to your gobby old self then Jon :razz:
- Sorry to go OT - What's the trick to sortin' out this flu? Er Indoors has been cluttering up the house for nearly 2 weeks!
Paul ;)

Back to your gobby old self then Jon :razz:
- Sorry to go OT - What's the trick to sortin' out this flu? Er Indoors has been cluttering up the house for nearly 2 weeks!
Paul ;)

caffeine and alcohol. Haven't know if i'm coming or going but think i have the nasties beat

caffeine and alcohol. Haven't know if i'm coming or going but think i have the nasties beat

Glad to hear you're on the mend Jon (y)

See my review of the 17-85 IS EFS in the review section here.
It's OK, but if you have deeper pockets you can do better

Sorry peeps

I recon I might have at top wack about £700, but if I can get a good replacement for less, the left over could be used to buy or go towards someother kit or dreaded bills!!

I have no particular like or dislike in what to shoot, I am an all rounder even though there is stuff I have not tried yet.
I think it needs to be a every day lens, for example urban architecture (whole or partly demolished - my urbex side) to grave yards to lanscape (when ever I get a chance). I am new to this so still finding my feet with my camera.

Thanks for the help and comments.

Cheerz(y)

Geordie69,

once you figure out which lens you want on that budget, I would get in touch with 'Kerso' from this forum. He supplies new lenses for Canon and Nikon and is very competitively priced. I'm not on commission, many people from this forum recommend him. I just bought a new 17-55 Nikon lens around that budget.
Jas
ps checkout the classified adverts in this forum. There is a 24-105 f4 canon fit for sale from a member here!

I would have recommend the 17-40mm f/4 L cos its a beauty, but not really a 'leave it on the camera lens'. Which brings us to either the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II (metal mount version) or the EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS. If you want to be really naughty and blow the lot, you cant get much better than the 24-105 f/4 L IS (which rarely comes off my 5d) - :love: love that lens.

But, as suggested, get some prices from Kerso.

Thanks everybody.
I will contact Kerso when I figure out waht to get.

Cheerz(y)

Just in the process of getting a 24-105 f/4 myself (thanks kerso), as a replacement for the kit lens on my 400D, and intend to have it as a "keep on camera" lens :)

Back