Lens advice

M

Missdaisies

I would like to get a new lens to go with my 400D. I currently only have the kit lens.

I would like to have a better zoom than I have currently and am looking to use this for wildlife, portraits and landscapes.

Im not at the stage of my studying where I fully understand all of the technical aspects of lens' and would really appreciate some advice on what to buy!

Im happy with second hand to keep the cost down

Thanks
Sharon

Around £250 - I definitely want to keep the cost down, less would be even better!

Hi,

Might be a bit difficult to get one lens to suit all your requirements -- wildlife, portraits & landscapes -- as they sort of conflict.

Portraits, especially indoors, ideally needs a fast lens F1.4 / 1.7 etc - many people use fixed focal length primes - second hand is probably a good bet here.

Wildlife probably needs something with good "tele" & landscape a decent wide-angle, say at least 18mm

Probably the best lens that covers this focal range "in one" is the Tamron 18-250 but price is £289 & it's maybe a bit slow for indoor work.

To be honest I'm 99% a landscape guy so not perhaps best placed to advise on portrait/wildlife options, I can recommend some good landscape lenses but unfortunately most are above £250

Sorry for not really being much use :shrug:

Stick with your kit lens for landscapes, and add a 50mm f1.8 and a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro. You could pick up the pair brand new for around £200. Alternatively, get your nifty fifty from Kerso and wait for a second hand sigma 70-300 from someone on here - they come up all the time.

Hope that helps!

Stick with your kit lens for landscapes, and add a 50mm f1.8 and a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro. You could pick up the pair brand new for around £200. Alternatively, get your nifty fifty from Kerso and wait for a second hand sigma 70-300 from someone on here - they come up all the time.

Hope that helps!
Good advice, I'd say, given the budget.

Back