Beginner lens advice

Name
hazel
Edit My Images
No
Good evening,
can anyone advise, i have got the nikon d7100 which usually has on the nikon 200-500 f5.6 which gives me good pics, wanting to move on i am about to get the nikon d500
but would like any help on a reasonable lens that would be good, have just tried the sigma 500 f4.5 and found it not as sharp as my nikon that i have got, so sent that back today
and now i am at a loss, thanks in advance for any help
:nikon:

Why don't you keep the 200-500 for the D500? Just a thought .. ..

yes i am keeping it was wondering if a prime?? would benefit me , i mainly do wildlife shots

Up to you but the prime equivalent is the 500mm f/4 which is big, heavy and expensive, the 600mm f/4 even more so. Granted you could put a TC on them.

It depends on whether getting a stop of light and a touch of sharpness is worth all that extra weight and outlay (probably you’d need a good tripod and gimbal head too).

Sigma 500/4.5 is quite an old lens now (2005) and also lacks OS image stabilisation. Better options include the much newer Sigma 500/4 OS, but apart from that nothing in the mega-primes sector except Nikon.

If it helps, those big Nikons hold their value well. Considering the cost, hiring makes sense if you're unsure of the best option http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/

yes they are lovely pics, will wait till my d500 arrives and see how i do , was wondering if to get the 300mm f2.8 with a 2x converter will give me 600mm

yes they are lovely pics, will wait till my d500 arrives and see how i do , was wondering if to get the 300mm f2.8 with a 2x converter will give me 600mm

That's why hiring is a good idea. When it actually comes to laying down this much cash there are actually quite a few similar options with various pros and cons. Taking other peoples' advice is also dangerous with things like this, as it's so subjective in how we like to work - hand-held (we're all different), monopod or tripod, hiking long distances or never more than 100yds from the car ;)

i tend to get my back pack packed and off for the day, with my dogs and my flask, but also i do sit and wait so maybe not too far away from car it depends what i am hoping to get

Back