Lens advice

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, first time posting so appologies if there is a format that I'm not following.

A month ago we purchased canon m50 for my son to do his vlogging. But when he's not using it, myself and the wife have started taking it out on walks and as very amateur photographers, we do enjoy the lightweight easy to throw over our shoulder culture that comes with the small camera.

It come bundled with a 15-45mm which is ok for basic clicks but as we live 5 minutes away from a wild bird reserve, were looking at picking up a zoom lens

Recommendations have been the ef-m 55-200 which retails at around 280gbp.

Another recommendation was to get a ef-m to ef(s) adaptor (100gbp) and pick up a ef-s 55-250 (180gbp) and then having the option of picking up a prime "nifty fifty" later on to replace the standard 15-45

Now is the route of getting the adaptor counter initiative for having a this camera and would it be best to stick with native ef-m lenses?

Sorry, but my knowledge is limited and as much as I read one review or suggestion, another 10 questions come to light. The person that suggested both routes is very much a professional and a DSLR diehard and scoffs everytime we mention our little m50, so I've got a feeling his advice may be a little skewed?
Any experience would be very grateful

Thankyou in advance
Kev

Last edited:
It is the lens that produces the image - the camera only records it. I have never used a Canon M camera but I can see no reason why it should not record the mage perfectly well.

My person preference would be to use native fit lens - Canon make good lenses. 200 mm is a bit short for birds, I usually use a 600 mm lens but on occasion I use my 300 mm lens which is adequate if the birds are close to (and perfect for insects).

Google a comparison between the two lenses the efm is a lot lighter then the efs version and more significantly it is intended for the mirrorless cameras.
For my money I would go with the efm ,the only reason I can see for buying the adapter is if you already have efs lenses and want yo use them on m series cameras.

My person preference would be to use native fit lens
For my money I would go with the efm
Many thanks to the both of you for your advice, I've gone with the native ef-m and I'll save up for a 600mm on recommendation once I've got the hang of the camera and shooting on manual.
I'm guessing that as time goes on, the range of ef-m lenses will grow as the platform becomes more widely used.
Once again thankyou for your time and responses.
Kev

Just as an aside, I have been using my newly acquired M5 with the adapter on a whole range of full frame glass, both Canon and Sigma. It works faultlessly, it might even be faster to lock on in certain circumstances.

The only small downside I have so far found is that on larger lenses - 70-200 2.8 for example, the battery drains pretty quickly as its quite small.

shooting on manual.

Please do not get hung up on shooting manual, its not the be all and end all.
it has its place under certain circumstances but so do the auto and semi auto modes.
Learn when to use it and when the other modes are better.

Back