Lens and body weather seal advice

Edit My Images
Yes
Just been to see my parents and there was a bird show on local.

It was raining and knowing my kit isn't weather sealed it lead me to thnking how much weather slash rain can my kit handle.

Would I not risk using it in drizzle?

I've done some sports shots in drizzle with my 450D and the 70-300mm lens (neither weather sealed) - but I got very nervous, and took cover every now and then to wipe off the camera.

:D...............:shake:....Worth asking all the same..:)

Price you see is the price you pay,no add ons at check out.

Ahhhh cool stuff.... Does it have a bit at the bottom To be able to adjust the focal length etc?

Ahhhh cool stuff.... Does it have a bit at the bottom To be able to adjust the focal length etc?

Do you mean "Can you get your hand inside to use the controls on the lens?", if so, then yes.......(y)

My camera likes downpours, and beer thrown over it. Its fine.

As long as you keep it dry when you can, and just wipe off any surface water as well, theres no problem. If you are concerned though just leave out over night to dry out.

(I also have a 450D, might be worth saying haha).

:D...............:shake:....Worth asking all the same..:)

Price you see is the price you pay,no add ons at check out.

True... :coat:

What are we classing as "rain"? Apart from the obvious where water falls from the clouds.. Heavy, normal or drizzle :shrug:

(y) I wont feel so bad now if I forget an umbrella...
this is what i had of nikon europe.

Nikon Europe Support 19/02/2010 | 10:20 AM

Dear scott,

Thank you for contacting Nikon regarding lenses.

All of our range of lenses are weather sealed and can be used in light rain. Some of the lenses - which are listed below,
however some have a rubber mount seal for extra protection, .

14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S NIKKOR
24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S NIKKOR
AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR NIKKOR
AF-S NIKKOR 24mm f/1.4G ED
600mm f/4G ED VR AF-S NIKKOR (no rubber mount seal but excellent dust and water resistance)
500mm f/4G ED VR AF-S NIKKOR (no rubber mount seal but excellent dust and water resistance)

If you have any further queries regarding this matter, please click the link above to update your question.

Kind Regards,

Aled Thomas
Nikon Europe Support
www.europe-nikon.com/support

Cheers for that Scott..

I doubt if I will take my Nikon 28-70mm 2.8 out in anything more than "light rain".... Best I make sure that the umbrella is the boot at all times....

Cheers for that Scott..

I doubt if I will take my Nikon 28-70mm 2.8 out in anything more than "light rain".... Best I make sure that the umbrella is the boot at all times....
see thats wear my pentax comes in handy i have no worries of using it in the rain, where as the nikon there is always that doubt as the will no state that all the lenses are weather sealed when buying them, but like i said i was shooting a carnival and the sky opened up and i just carried on shooting with no probs for about 30mins(heavy rain)

You would have thought that with a company as big as they are that they would.. But then again there would no doubt be someone out there how would some how prove them wrong...

Makes a change to actually hear of people that do take or had their gear out in the rain thou - puts minds at ease I feel...

Back