Lens Ball

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,

Was thinking of getting a Lens Ball, does anyone use one or are they just a Gimmick?

It's an OK gimmick, they are somewhat attractive just sat (unused) on a shelf after you played with it once.
Try an ebay one for about £15

I’m in the Gimmick camp, but that’s just my opinion.
Me too. It's amazing what you can sell if you can get a few denizens of farcebook to back it. :naughty:

If you do get one, DON'T leave it in full sun. As you can see in the shot Steve posted, they can (and do!) act like a magnifying glass and start fires.

I fancy one of these but I think it's not something I'd want to take out and photograph. I think it's something that works best as a nice thing rather than a much used photography thing.

I have a similar ball with bubbles in it which sits on top of a lamp with a rotating coloured disk in it. It looks really nice and Mrs WW especially likes it and has it on every night.

If you do get one, DON'T leave it in full sun. As you can see in the shot Steve posted, they can (and do!) act like a magnifying glass and start fires.
Definitely this, though it doesn't even need to be full sun. We have a paper weight that is similar to a lens ball but with bubbles inside and only 3.5" or so in diameter. Late afternoon sun coming through the blinds refracted/focused through it and melted a small area of the plastic base on the television that was next to it.

I'm also in the use once and then it gathers dust camp.

Thought I'd be pretty safe on the damp sand though..... ;)

They're cheap and they can add something if you're looking to do something different.

Back