Lens & body Upgrade time & very befuddled!

Name
Lynne
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all , hoping for some advice from helpful souls on here :confused:

tying my self in knots trying to sort out what lens to get !

Decision made to move to full frame D750 in the next couple of months - that's the easy part !

Lens to accompany it is proving somewhat more of a headache . In the main it will be used for landscape stuff but occasionally for close-up motorsport shots ( moto x) so needs to relatively fast ie f2.8 . Don't want a Sigma 10-20 ( already got one & not very keen on , a touch to wide for my liking.) Can't afford the Nikon 12-24 or 24-70 .

SO far my possible list is :

Nikon 16-35 ( think this is f4 so maybe not for sport ?)
Tamron 24-70 VC ( VC useful for sport can turn it off for landscape on tripod)
Tokina 16-28 ( no IS)

So , thoughts on the above list & are there any that I haven't considered & should do ? I'm getting far to confused looking at reviews & reports , plus all the different letters tagged on to each lens model is just confusing me even more !
Quite happy to look at 2nd hand lenses but want to do the deal at one shop so I can px 2 bodies & 1 possibly 2 lenses .That said I'd consider buying the lens as a grey from Digital rev or Calumet , don't fancy buying the body as a grey -odd I know but there ya go .

This is gonna be a big purchase for me so need to make sure I get it right...the money pit is not endless :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for nay help you can give

Lynne x

Don't want a Sigma 10-20 ( already got one & not very keen on , a touch to wide for my liking.)
SO far my possible list is :
Nikon 16-35 ( think this is f4 so maybe not for sport ?) ...
Tokina 16-28 ( no IS)
If the 10-20 is too wide on your current DX body, then the 16-35 and 16-28 will be too wide on an FX body.

So that reduces your short list to one. Decision made?

Thats the problem going FF, you need the quality optics to match.

I gradually sold off all my earlier lenses and replaced them with the best I could not afford.

I don't regret that for a moment though and its now seven years ago so can reflect on the decision with a smug comfort at stretching in those days.

Cheaper in the long run and if anything I would have started buying the lenses before getting the camera.

Last edited:
If the 10-20 is too wide on your current DX body, then the 16-35 and 16-28 will be too wide on an FX body.

So that reduces your short list to one. Decision made?

Now that's what I needed....never having used FF I wasn't sure what the angle of view would be ie would it be the same as the 10-20 using a 16- whatever ? Cheers Stewart (y)

@shreds ...far to sensible for me :( I do have the Nikon 70-200 & Tamron 90mm both of which will be good on the FF so thats a start .Decision has been bought about quicker than expected as the D7000 has almost 100thou clicks on it which for me seems like an excellent time to move it on - might be wrong thinking that but , to me at least , sub 100thou is better than over 100thou

Any other lenses that I may have missed ?

I gradually sold off all my earlier lenses and replaced them with the best I could not afford.

I don't regret that for a moment though and its now seven years ago so can reflect on the decision with a smug comfort at stretching in those days.

Cheaper in the long run and if anything I would have started buying the lenses before getting the camera.
Getting quality lenses isn't a "problem with going FF". There are plenty of fantastic primes for not much £ that work beautifully on FF bodies.

I would agree that there are some superb primes, but that wasn't what the OP asked for, it was zoom lenses.

To access the better FF quality zoom lenses however is not cheap.

Depending on subjects, primes might be the better way to go, but that means carrying a selection with you and the faff of changing lenses during a shoot. Again it depends on the subject as to whether this is practical or desirable at the time.

Why?

The pixel density on DX bodies is generally way higher than on FX bodies. The D3000 series cameras are much more demanding when it comes to lens resolution than a D600/610 or D750, or even a D800/810.

Decision made to move to full frame D750 in the next couple of months - that's the easy part !
Why?

What do you think an FX body will do for you, apart from increase your costs?

never having used FF I wasn't sure what the angle of view would be
I do have the Nikon 70-200 & Tamron 90mm both of which will be good on the FF so thats a start .

Well, those lenses will work on FX but they won't necessarily be "good". For example, if you find the 70-200mm range is good for you on your D7000, then it won't be long enough on an FX body.

Which leads me back to the question as to why you want to switch to FX. If I were in your situation, unless there are relevant facts you haven't told us, I'd run the D7000 until it dies and then replace it with a D7100 or whatever comes after the D7100.

Last edited:
Don't know Nikon myself but I wonder about you getting more for your money by going to a reputable dealer and buying second hand. There are also some regular sellers on here whose feedback you can check. Good luck.

The Nikon f2.8 70-200mm lens is a great lens but depending on age comes in two flavours, the earlier VR and the later VRII.

Whilst not designated as a DX lens, because it predated the Nikon FF introduction, there is some minor vignetting on the VR when used on a FF frame body. Nikon intrododuced the VRII version as a response, which largely addressed those issues by altering the barrel size at the mount end slightly.

Some people like the vignette effect and it is certainly correctable in PP. I still have mine, just because the upgrade seemed negligible but it is a factor. If you have the VR II then you can ignore these comments if you do upgrade.

Going to FF must be a personal decision and yes you do lose some "reach" due to the loss of the multiplication factor of the smaller sensors. Equally at the macro level, a DX sensor can have very positive advantages regards depth of field.

It is correct to think carefully about why you want to go FF, but whatever you do, enjoy, and don't be constrained by too many varying opinions.

If you want to move to FF then go for it.

Last edited:
I can absolutely understand why someone would go FF from a d7000 right now. Second hand prices on the older semi-pro camera bodies ain't great for the number of shutter counts and the price of ones with low counts are just madness.

I watched a second hand D300 with a 6000 shutter count go on eBay for near enough £600 the other day and even though I owned one I can't for the life of me understand why when you can find the D7100 in that condition for less and the D600 for £100 more.

The Nikon f2.8 70-200mm lens is a great lens but depending on age comes in two flavours, the earlier VR and the later VRII.

Whilst not designated as a DX lens, because it predated the Nikon FF introduction, there is some minor vignetting on the VR when used on a FF frame body. Nikon intrododuced the VRII version as a response, which largely addressed those issues by altering the barrel size at the mount end slightly.

Some people like the vignette effect and it is certainly correctable in PP. I still have mine, just because the upgrade seemed negligible but it is a factor. If you have the VR II then you can ignore these comments if you do upgrade.

Going to FF must be a personal decision and yes you do lose some "reach" due to the loss of the multiplication factor of the smaller sensors. Equally at the macro level, a DX sensor can have very positive advantages regards depth of field.

It is correct to think carefully about why you want to go FF, but whatever you do, enjoy, and don't be constrained by too many varying opinions.

With regards to Marco, I actually think FF serves the subject better. The increased DOF of the smaller sensor isn't really that noticeable when so close to the subject, so even with cropped sensors you're tightening the aperture to get as much in focus as possible, hense upping the ISO higher and higher. On my cropped bodies the ISO increase was killing the IQ, but my 6d was eating the noise for breakfast, even at silly ISOs enabling me to close the aperture right up and get very good DOF.

I was surprised at this, but FF is definitely better for macro IMO.

I digress...

Now that's what I needed....never having used FF I wasn't sure what the angle of view would be ie would it be the same as the 10-20 using a 16- whatever ? Cheers Stewart (y)

I've just upgraded from a 50d (1.6 crop) to a 1d (1.3 crop) and the difference in reach on my longer lenses and angle of view on the shorter ones is quite surprising. Just out of curiosity the other day I tried my 24-105 f4L on an old eos 600 film camera and its a huge difference between that and the 50d.

Simple. 24-70mm for a start

I'm swaying towards the Tamron ,read a few more reviews ,some saying the non VC is sharper but think I want VC for the moto x in lousy weather...probably !

That's the Tamron then.
(y)

Guess what I've just been looking at, yup D750, and 24-70..... And 12-24.

Gasp.

Cheers.
Tis your fault I'm looking :p

I would agree that there are some superb primes, but that wasn't what the OP asked for, it was zoom lenses.

To access the better FF quality zoom lenses however is not cheap.

Depending on subjects, primes might be the better way to go, but that means carrying a selection with you and the faff of changing lenses during a shoot. Again it depends on the subject as to whether this is practical or desirable at the time.
Yup , when at moto x I really don't wanna be changing lenses , I'd have the 70-200 on the D300 & the 24-70 on the D750 unless it's really pants weather in which case I'll probably either stick with bigger lens ....or stay at home ;)

Isn't the 12-24 a dx lens?

I'd just go with the 24-70. Simples. No need to make it more complicated than it is...

Cheers David ...that's what 'm close to doing so was hoping to simplify it again by asking on here :)

Depends.

The Nikon 12-24mm f/4 is a DX lens and it's wide. The Sigma 12-24mm is an FX lens and it's very, very wide.

Why?

The pixel density on DX bodies is generally way higher than on FX bodies. The D3000 series cameras are much more demanding when it comes to lens resolution than a D600/610 or D750, or even a D800/810.

Why?

What do you think an FX body will do for you, apart from increase your costs?

Well, those lenses will work on FX but they won't necessarily be "good". For example, if you find the 70-200mm range is good for you on your D7000, then it won't be long enough on an FX body.

Which leads me back to the question as to why you want to switch to FX. If I were in your situation, unless there are relevant facts you haven't told us, I'd run the D7000 until it dies and then replace it with a D7100 or whatever comes after the D7100.

Thanks Stewart.....I've been mulling this very question for a while....I want to upgrade the D7000 before it gets too long in the tooth , there's nothing else about that offers a significant improvement in a DX body ( D7100 isn't worth moving to IMO) so the D750 seems the logical choice .There are rumours of a replacement D7100 ( D7300 or D9200 I think is what I've read with most of the D750 bits ie more pixels,tilting screen ,more fps, faster autofocus etc) but that's possibly not till the end of the year .
For majority of the time the 70-200 would be on the D300 but as you can get right up close & personal at moto x track's I don't think the slight loss of reach would be a problem .For the majority of the time the ff would be used for landscape & macro stuff .BUT ,I'm still pondering waiting for the D7100 replacement....I never have been very good with decisions that involve spending money :(

Don't know Nikon myself but I wonder about you getting more for your money by going to a reputable dealer and buying second hand. There are also some regular sellers on here whose feedback you can check. Good luck.

Thanks Chipper , it may be a little odd but I prefer to buy a new body where as lenses I'm happy to look 2nd hand

That's not something I was aware of Shreds, so thanks for that info .My 70-200 is indeed the VR1 so yet more food for thought !

I can absolutely understand why someone would go FF from a d7000 right now. Second hand prices on the older semi-pro camera bodies ain't great for the number of shutter counts and the price of ones with low counts are just madness.

I watched a second hand D300 with a 6000 shutter count go on eBay for near enough £600 the other day and even though I owned one I can't for the life of me understand why when you can find the D7100 in that condition for less and the D600 for £100 more.

I was surprised at the prices for 2ndhand D300's ,managed to get a low shutter count from a dealer at a sensible price though ,couldn't bring myself to buy a camera from ebay especially at those prices:eek:

With regards to Marco, I actually think FF serves the subject better. The increased DOF of the smaller sensor isn't really that noticeable when so close to the subject, so even with cropped sensors you're tightening the aperture to get as much in focus as possible, hense upping the ISO higher and higher. On my cropped bodies the ISO increase was killing the IQ, but my 6d was eating the noise for breakfast, even at silly ISOs enabling me to close the aperture right up and get very good DOF.

I was surprised at this, but FF is definitely better for macro IMO.

I digress...

Interesting to get opposing views...I need to take a look at some ff v crop body macro shots I think to see if I can actually tell the difference .

I've just upgraded from a 50d (1.6 crop) to a 1d (1.3 crop) and the difference in reach on my longer lenses and angle of view on the shorter ones is quite surprising. Just out of curiosity the other day I tried my 24-105 f4L on an old eos 600 film camera and its a huge difference between that and the 50d.

Hi ya Chris , hope all's good with you n Jak's (y) It's cetainley a minefield trying to make this decision .I tried a ff with a wideangle lens on a few weeks back but was surprised at how little difference I noticed between my crop /18-300 lens in terms of how much extra view I got on the ff camera.....perhaps I'm just odd:thinking:

I was surprised at the prices for 2ndhand D300's ,managed to get a low shutter count from a dealer at a sensible price though ,couldn't bring myself to buy a camera from ebay especially at those prices:eek:

I ended up buying a ex-display model D5200 for £300 and a second hand 35mm f/1.8 to go on it yesterday from Amazon. I actually shoot M4/3 with the top end glass, and sony with the old metal body minolta glass my grandpa used to buy me in the early 90s. Reason I'm not using those rigs is a good one - I'm knowingly putting myself in a position where I could get my camera robbed. I've already had people look at the fujifilm x20 like they are pricing it's second hand value up in their heads. Basically I'm doing what they all tell you not to do and that's be in one high traffic area at set parts of a day and then walking home a set route and so on and so forth, so what I'm going to do is scratch the body and make it look like it's held together with duct tape so hopefully no one will look at it twice.

Just thought I'd add, when I switched to FF I was looking for a 24-70 and in the end I decided on the Tamron VC version (on a Canon body). Ive never regretted it, the only thing i noticed is that wide open the vignetting is about 1-2 stops. It doesn't bother me though as its easily fixed in LR or disappears when stopped down to f4

Just thought I'd add, when I switched to FF I was looking for a 24-70 and in the end I decided on the Tamron VC version (on a Canon body). Ive never regretted it, the only thing i noticed is that wide open the vignetting is about 1-2 stops. It doesn't bother me though as its easily fixed in LR or disappears when stopped down to f4

Cheers for that Chris , good to know some one has real life experience with pretty much the same combo (y)

Back