lens change

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, excuse my ignorance but if I buy a Sigma lens for a canon camera are you able to get some kind of adapter to then use the Sigma lens with a Nikon? I currently have a Canon SLR and want to buy the Nikon D200 but would like to buy a Sigma lens that I can use with both. Answers on a postcard....

Thanks!

Gemma

the Canon EOS and Nikon F mounts are inherently different - so if you buy a third party Sigma lens for the EOS mount it will not fit the F mount.

I'm not sure whether you can get an adapter or not, you can to fit Nikon lenses on Canon bodies, but I'm not sure if you can vice versa.

Even if you can, you'll lose autofocus, and may not be able to focus to infinity .

Thanks Hoodi. Quick response appreciated as I have to order my lenses soon for hols at the weekend. Next question. How do I find out if the Sigma 1.4x converter is compatible with the Canon EF 90-300mm 4.5-5.6 USM lens?

Cheers!

Gemma

pass, teleconvertors are a wee bit beyond me!

I think it'll work, but without AF - as you'll lose a stop of light, taking the minimum aperture beyond F/5.6 (whereby I think most Canon bodies cease to AF)...

But take all of that with a pinch of salt. Someone who actually knows what they're talking about will no doubt be waltzing in any moment now!

Most Canon bodies 350D, 20D etc will lose one stop with a 1.4XTC and will maintain autofocus as long as the new effective aperture isn't smaller than f5.6. I Series bodies (1D, 1DS etc) with the same converter will still AF if the new effective max aperture isn't smaller than f8.

EDIT.. The Canon TCs only work with lenses 135mm focal length or longer. I dunno if that's true of other makes?

Thanks CT and Hoodi for responses. But...I'm still a little lost. Just been to Sigma website and my Canon zoom lens isn't listed as one that will work with their 1.4x converter lens. From your replies I take it that it will work but I'll lose AF...Anyone out there still?

G

I can't be much help to you I'm afraid, but we have owners of Sigma TCs who will no doubt pop up and throw enlightenment into your darkness.:D

There are cheats for maintaining AF with some TCs by covering a couple of the electronic pins with tape. I dunno if I'd recommend it, and as far as I can gather, the trick works for some and not for others. :shrug:

ghall said:
Thanks CT and Hoodi for responses. But...I'm still a little lost. Just been to Sigma website and my Canon zoom lens isn't listed as one that will work with their 1.4x converter lens. From your replies I take it that it will work but I'll lose AF...Anyone out there still?

G

Hi,

If it isnt on the compatibility list, it wont fit im afraid ! Its more a physical thing than autofocus if it isnt listed on their compatibility list.

Thanks for all your responses - much more helpful than phoning Sigma!

Best wishes

Gemma

Back