Lens choice for motorsport

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

My name is Darren and this is my first post on the forum (sorry in advance if it's in the wrong spot).

I’ve recently gotten back into photography and have purchased my own DSLR, an EOS 30D (after pilfering my Dad’s 450D for sometime now). I’ve currently got the F1.8 50mm prime and the 18-55 kit lens.

I’m looking forward to doing some motorsport photography next year and am looking to buy a more suitable lens for the job. I’m happy to pay the money for a professional lens like the Canon 70-200mm F4 IS but can’t stretch to the IS or 2.8 versions. So am looking around the £500 or less mark (£500 being the absolute limit). I don’t mind buying second hand either if that helps.

I’ll be doing motorsport photography as a hobby initially but am quite interested in pursuing it as a possible career path.

I was just wondering if anyone here would be able to make some recommendations based on equipment they have or have used? (if anyone has anything suitable for sale I’d also be very interested).

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you,

Great forum folks,

Darren

Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX

Dunganick is selling one.

I would naturally agree lol, but in all seriousness 3 yrs ago I was in your shoes and I chose to go down the sigma route rather than the canon 70-200.

My reasoning was that 200mm is a bit short for cars and very short for most head on bike photos. 300mm is about right for cars on a crop body (30d is a 1.6 crop) also being a constant f4 it can be teleconverted with a 1.4tc on the xxd range and retain fairly good autofocus with 420mm. Good enough for head-on bike shots.

The 70-200 f4 can be teleconverted too, but only up to 280mm, while that's about right for cars it is a still short for some circuits/bikes.

My lens is for sale in the for sale section have a look at it and some of my samples, its a great lens, I'm really tempted to keep it!

The Sigma 100-300 is a very good value for money lens 2nd hand. I also use it and am more than happy with the results. It does not have image stabilisation and is quite a heavy and physically long lens with the hood on but looks and feels solid and produces the goods.

Maybe the new Tamron 70-300 VC, seems to betting good reviews and would give you the necessary reach

Hi there folks,

Sorry, been at work all day, just got back from wrestling the abnormal covering of snow (phew!).

Dunganick, the Sigma looks like a nice lens an I'm giving it some serious thought.

Also interested in mr_sukebe's 70-200 EF though, don't know why but I keep coming back to the Canon lens.

Would the optics in the Canon likely be better than the Sigma (being an L series lens and all?)?

I used to use a couple of Sigma lenses with my Minolta X-700 but haven't been as bowled over by aftermarket lenses in the DSLR age. Is this just a bad misconception? Would the sigma definitely be a better choice in the long run?

Thanks again and sorry for the lengthly post!

Darren

Whilst not in the same price range the OP was looking for I had use of the Nikon 200-400 f/2.8 today. Large & heavy but very capable! I also used the Sigma 100-300 f/4 earlier on in the day and side by side on the laptop the Nikon is not jumping out as being 4 grand superior altough light was kind today.

Another vote for the Sigma 100-300. For the money its a cracking lens, I had a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and got the 100-300 for the extra reach. Then I found I no longer used the 70-200.

For bike shots the extra reach is a godsend. I used the Sigma 1.4 t/c on my 100-300 and as long as the light was good I got some lovely results.

I have a Sigma 100-300 f4 as well.

I chose it for the following reasons

Compared to the 70-200 f4 L, on a crop sensor it offers a more useful range for circuit motorsport

Compared to the 100-400 L it is equally as good at the 100-300 bit, with the advantage of being at least half a stop faster

OS/IS/VR is often turned off for motorsport

Heaviness can be helped with a monopod

It will take a x1.4 teleconverter as well if required.

Robust, optically good, fast to focus...

I have the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM II and I use a Sigma 1.4tc to get extra reach sometimes. This makes it slightly slower focusing than the 100-300mm f4 I think.

I love my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 to bits but I think if I could go back then I would probably get the 100-300mm f4 :D

agree with all the above, you need 300mm
however
make sure you take your 50mm with you, it can be great for a panning shot trackside, I used mine a lot at Oulton Park

Got to be the Sigma 100-300 f4, I've had one for about the last two years - great for motorsport.

Forgive me jumping on the thread, however I am in a similar position looking for a lens for motor sport use. I had wondered about the Sigma 120-400 but have not seen it mentioned. Anyone have any experience with this lens?

The 120-400 isn't really fast enough to compete in anything but the best light. Having not used this exact lens i cant comment too much. However i have used a 150-500 (i think thats right) and it was pants, even on the 1d, on a very bright day. I had to stop it up to about f7.1/8 to get it sharp and even then the keeper rate was low.

It might be a good bird lens and its lots of MM for the money, but i would avoid.

The 120-400 isn't really fast enough to compete in anything but the best light. Having not used this exact lens i cant comment too much. However i have used a 150-500 (i think thats right) and it was pants, even on the 1d, on a very bright day. I had to stop it up to about f7.1/8 to get it sharp and even then the keeper rate was low.

It might be a good bird lens and its lots of MM for the money, but i would avoid.

Thanks I think you may have just saved me from a very regrettable purchase. On the flip side I now have to save a little more cash lol.

I had the Nikon version of the 150-500 lens and must agree with Nick, it is pants. Not only did I see the above issues but it also had problems tracking focus especially with objects moving away. It looked good value for money but it wasnt.

Sigma 100-300 is great to get you started with Motorsports, thats the first steps I took when I started out and it was great, works ok with a 1.4x aswell

Forgive me jumping on the thread, however I am in a similar position looking for a lens for motor sport use. I had wondered about the Sigma 120-400 but have not seen it mentioned. Anyone have any experience with this lens?

I used this lens all of last year - no complaints whatsoever.

These are the ones that I have to hand on Flickr. There is a variety of crop sizes here too. The majority were shot in good light. The last was shot in poor light/very poor
The downside of the Sigma IMO is not so much the f5.6 when zoomed, it's more the fact that 120mm at the short end is still quite long. It's also heavy and really does need a monopod for all day use.

4486466375_4f695aa001_z.jpg

4866342701_5a3f7b46f0_z.jpg

4866991788_105dd5991a_z.jpg

4869231519_1e32c2ba25_z.jpg

Last one shot in bad/failing light

5090673471_31b6770e96_z.jpg

As I say - no complaints from me - as it's done all I asked of it. It's not only seen action on the track it's also been lugged around East Africa on a truck with the accompanying dust and bumps.

EDIT: Just re read some posts and I do agree 100% with the notes on the 150-500 version - I tried this prior to the 120-400 and despite the similar design they were very much like different lenses. I felt the 150 was slower, noiser and a damn sight heavier.

Last edited:
Sorry to take on this thread but I'm also searching for a motorsport lens for my Nikon D90.

Would you recommend the above mentioned Sigma 100-300 f4 or something else?

Thanks(y).

Back