Lens choice for Nascar

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
We are off to Nascar the coke 400 in July what would be an idea lens for getting good shots ?? We are sat opposite pit lane so would like to try and get some good pics.

Camera is a Nikon d300s and would have a budget of under £1000

Not done any motorsport before so i think i might need to have a practise :LOL:

Thanks

Craig

We are off to Nascar the coke 400 in July

Can't help you with a lens, but just wanted to say I'm jealous :p:. One day I will get to Daytona (and Bristol, Richmond, Darlington, Martinsville and Talladega :LOL: ).

We are looking forward to it have been to Florida 4-5 times but never been able to go same time as a Nascar race so cant wait just hope i can get some good pics :LOL:

Tricky one as Nascar has BIG fences.

Look at getting a Sigma 100-300mm F4 and get either a x1.4tc or a x2tc.

Ty for the info we are high up so should avoid the fences,
I have been looking at the sigma lenses:
The Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM
The Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM

Would one of them be a good choice ?

Ty for the info we are high up so should avoid the fences,
I have been looking at the sigma lenses:
The Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM
The Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM

Would one of them be a good choice ?

I tried the 150mm-500mm the other week, dreadfully slow to focus. Combine that with NASCAR doing 200mph and your gonna struggle to keep focusing sharp.

No idea about the 120-400 though.

When we were at Daytona I used the depth of field mode of focus on the corner nearest us, so many people it was difficult to swing a big lens around without the chance of hitting someone, I must admit I got engrossed in the racing and forgot to take lots of pics, took a few of the crowd around me though, some strange people attend these races.

We are off to Nascar the coke 400 in July what would be an idea lens for getting good shots ?? We are sat opposite pit lane so would like to try and get some good pics.

Camera is a Nikon d300s and would have a budget of under £1000

Not done any motorsport before so i think i might need to have a practise :LOL:

Thanks

Craig

Rent the 200-400 f/4 from Lensesforhire

Also, have a look here

When we were at Daytona I used the depth of field mode of focus on the corner nearest us, so many people it was difficult to swing a big lens around without the chance of hitting someone, I must admit I got engrossed in the racing and forgot to take lots of pics, took a few of the crowd around me though, some strange people attend these races.

I was considering not taking the camera but if i dont take it i will wish i had :LOL:

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs and you've been before!
Whilst I understand there is no restriction on Cameras or Lenses at NASCAR events there are restrictions on bags and coolers. I went 5 years ago to the Pepsi 400 (same race) and bag policy was very strict.

Whilst there try and see the race the previous night (Nationwide) the racing was actually better (imo) but the main race atmosphere is unbeatable.
It's a whole day event, even though racing doesn't start til evening. Be prepared for huge crowds. The Coke 400 attracts up to 200,000, and parking is miles away and ship you in by bus. So queues are massive going home. Don't know your wealth but upgraded much nearer parking can be bought....at a price!

Buy a race cushion (prob cheaper away from the oval) those seats are painful after many hours sat still.

Upgrade ticket to include infield fan/paddock area for good shots of drivers / teams etc. Shots from the stands are "ok" but you'll need reach to take photo's of the pits. But don't forget that race is under the lights, so although floodlit light will be a big issue.

FOR GOD SAKE STAND DURING THEIR NATIONAL ANTHEM, we didn't (being Brits) and the looks we got soon made us rise to our feet. It was rude and bad etiquette and they let us know!
It's bloody hot up in the stands, bring a cooler and take plenty of beer and soft drinks (see cooler size in Fan Info below)
If it rains (as it does out there early evenings) you could get a race delay of several hours (they don't race with ANY moisture on track) whilst the mobile hair dryers dry the track out. If it rains real bad, the race could be postponed 24 hrs!

Daytona is a superb track, newly tarmac-ed this year, the drafting and bumping is back
Anymore info just asked. It was superb and I would definitely do it again.

Fan Info
NEW Policy for 2011!

In an effort to provide a safe environment for our guests, while ensuring everyone’s timely entry to view the event, the following policies shall be in effect. Fans may enter Daytona International Speedway with one each of the bags described below:

One soft side bag or cooler, no larger than 14 x 14 x 14 inches

• Coolers of this size typically have a removable plastic liner and are branded to hold 24-36 cans of Coca-Cola or other beverages.

• To ensure these items fit underneath grandstand seats and do not block walkways, coolers with telescoping handles and wheels will not be permitted.

• A soft side insulated cooler may contain ice.

One lightweight backpack

• Bag can be similar to a daypack carried by school students.

• This one bag may be carried in any manner, i.e. by handle, with shoulder straps, on a belt, etc.

• Fans can bring in one cooler and one backpack.

Other items permitted include:

• Binoculars, scanners, headsets, cameras, not in a bag, worn separately over the neck or on the belt and seat cushions carried separately are also allowed.

• Flags are acceptable for admissions, provided they are not attached to poles and that they do not obstruct other fans viewing of racing activities. No flag poles of any type will be allowed.

Small nationality flags attached to a pencil sized diameter wooden stick, will be allowed.

All items brought through a Grandstand gate will be inspected.

The following may not enter the admission gates or be left in or around the gate area:

• Firearms, fireworks and items restricted by Local, State and Federal laws.

• Hard sided coolers, thermos and insulated cups of any size. • No strollers, glass containers, umbrellas, scooters, skateboards, or pets (trained assistance animals for disabled guests are welcome). •Any bags, backpacks, suitcases or containers larger than the allowable size.

• Items left in or around the admission gates will be removed and discarded.

Ty for the info Matty (y) I have looked in to it alot and it is our 5th trip to Florida but 1st Nascar trip but have already got the upgraded tickets for track signing and pit lane so thats covered (y) We are used to the national anthem from other stuff we have done over there shame we didnt love our country the same as they do (y)

I went to the Watkins Glen and Bristol (August) races last year. They didn't have a problem with my carrying the camera in the bag.

My 55mm-250mm lens was OK for Watkins Glen, but needed a little bit more zoom for Bristol.

I found it easier to track and take pics of the cars on the far side of the track because the angle of the seating and where teh cars run put them almost out of sight on the near side.

Also found it difficult to pan, not that I am great at it anyway, because the seating is tight and there isn't much shoulder room.

I tried the 150mm-500mm the other week, dreadfully slow to focus. Combine that with NASCAR doing 200mph and your gonna struggle to keep focusing sharp.

No idea about the 120-400 though.

I'm a Canon user but my mate has a d330s and acquired a used sigma 150-500 for about 750quid on Ebay and has been happy with it for motorsports. If your going to try for pit actions shots you'll need lots of reach and focus speed is not an issue. You'll not likely have much chance for high quality composition of cars on on track unless your on the infield. The steep grand stands, catch fence and fact you can not stand along the fence during the event is why I say that. Besides they go by so fast you could never get a shot of with any sort of control, if you were to try you'd want a about a 24-105 zoom on a cropped body. All tracks but especially circle tracks in the USA are very difficult to shoot w/o media credential when it comes to major events.

Im starting to think it might be easier to just enjoy the race and leave the camera at the villa :LOL:

Back