Lens choice for venice

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Going to venice in jan for 5 days. On my own for photography break. I was there in summer with mrs t and had the xt-20 and 18-55 but that was more a family break and 8 didnt sneak off too often

Planning on full frame plus 16-35 and 24-105 as definite lenses on trip. Dont want to go too wild with gear but i could have a 14mm with me or a 70-200. Are there realistic opportunities for either of these?

You could swap the 16-35 for the 14, but you should take the 70-200 with you. 105mm is just a bit too short for some things, but you will find things that cover all focal lengths.

Where are you staying? I know of some good eateries in the vicinity of Accademia, Cafe di Gino for lunchtime Bruschettas and Taverna San Trovaso for dinners. Lot of places shut for Jan I noticed this year.

Staying in San Marco. Got a good deal on b&b at the same boutique hotel i stayed in june. Pretty easy to get anywhere from there.

Will give the cafe/ taverna a whirl if i’m there about eating o’clock.

I used a 16-80mm on a crop, so 24-120mm equivalent on FF most of the time, but also had a 10-20mm (15-30mm equiv) and a 70-300mm (105-450mm equiv) when I have been to Venice. The 16-80mm covered most things for me, with occasional use of the other lenses, the 10-20mm more than the 70-300mm.

The first time I went was in December and it was very cold and wet. Would have been nice to have had cold and snow. ;)

In January you will have quite late sunrises, so early light without people will be difficult, especially St Mark's Square and Rialto Bridge. Sunsets are very early too, so if you want to make the most of the night scenes a tripod will be a good idea if you are not taking one already. I was their in June and the light was at the opposite extremes and was walking through the city 3am to get to St Mark's Square for the (very) early sunrise.

I've been quite a few times, so if you want any specific tips let me know. I think I have walked over most of the place. ;)Maybe not for restaurants though, but cheap places to fill up.

I don't know what kinds of pics you take, but if you want ideas for pics of Venice with weather look up a chap called Roby Bon on 500px, as he seems to live there and so gets pics throughout the year in all kinds of weather. And he also gets more of the people in Venice rather than the classic views.

For me in Venice, a 24-80 or thereabouts would cover most of what I wanted, but I agree there will probably be opportunities to use a long lens. Shooting across the wider bodies of water, for example. I'd struggle to use anything as wide as 14mm in this context but YMMV.

I would have thought 24-105 and 16-35 would cover most things. It might be nice to have the other 2 lenses in the bag, but doubt they'd get used for more than 5% of the images.

I used a 16-80mm on a crop, so 24-120mm equivalent on FF most of the time, but also had a 10-20mm (15-30mm equiv) and a 70-300mm (105-450mm equiv) when I have been to Venice. The 16-80mm covered most things for me, with occasional use of the other lenses, the 10-20mm more than the 70-300mm.

The first time I went was in December and it was very cold and wet. Would have been nice to have had cold and snow. ;)

In January you will have quite late sunrises, so early light without people will be difficult, especially St Mark's Square and Rialto Bridge. Sunsets are very early too, so if you want to make the most of the night scenes a tripod will be a good idea if you are not taking one already. I was their in June and the light was at the opposite extremes and was walking through the city 3am to get to St Mark's Square for the (very) early sunrise.

I've been quite a few times, so if you want any specific tips let me know. I think I have walked over most of the place. ;)Maybe not for restaurants though, but cheap places to fill up.

I don't know what kinds of pics you take, but if you want ideas for pics of Venice with weather look up a chap called Roby Bon on 500px, as he seems to live there and so gets pics throughout the year in all kinds of weather. And he also gets more of the people in Venice rather than the classic views.

Thanks. I’ve got a travel tripod coming from santa to save me trying to lug the gitzo 5 series through the ryanair ordeal.

Had a quick look at roby bon and can see some really nice street work there with an occasional lanscape. Will have a proper look later but i don’t mind a bit of street photography

I dont think this will be my last time in venice for photo trip but being there last week in june for the first time,it was heaving and i thought i’d try the other extreme then maybe work up early spring/ late autumn visits before going back in summer. Hoping for some mist and nighttime shots and an easier time getting to know the city.

If i see locations that i’m not sure about in the planning phase then i’ll ask if you know where. I could walk past within 20 yards through different close

I think the 70-200 might get space in the bag but 14mm will stay. I’m assuming as a city it never gets dark enough for decent astro, which is its usual use, but its the widest i have.

Most of the options have been covered in the above posts - I definitely would endorse the Telephoto option... there are some amazing opportunities for isolation and (minor) compression shots.

A bit 'Marmite' but I've had some great fun with a fish-eye too - as I say, not to everyone's taste!

0160_BAZ0162 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

0511_BAZ0371 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

You are pretty much set on zooms and UWA
I'd add a fast prime :)
Fisheyes are great fun too. I can't find examples right now but I had great fun with one in Venice.

If you get a chance visit this shop :D

10mm f4 on APS-C
25484585645_e700b6ea2a_b.jpg

35mm f2 on APS-C
25189005060_66dc6b17e4_b.jpg

Thanks. I’ve got a travel tripod coming from santa to save me trying to lug the gitzo 5 series through the ryanair ordeal.

Had a quick look at roby bon and can see some really nice street work there with an occasional lanscape. Will have a proper look later but i don’t mind a bit of street photography

I dont think this will be my last time in venice for photo trip but being there last week in june for the first time,it was heaving and i thought i’d try the other extreme then maybe work up early spring/ late autumn visits before going back in summer. Hoping for some mist and nighttime shots and an easier time getting to know the city.

If i see locations that i’m not sure about in the planning phase then i’ll ask if you know where. I could walk past within 20 yards through different close
Venice can be addictive. ;) It is my favourite location. I think I have been 7-8 times up to now. June was the first time I had been in the middle of summer. For me the best time to visit Venice is around Easter or the end of this month. Both times are still pretty warm, and the sunrises and sunsets are pretty good, especially the sunrises. The sun sets in a good location this time of year too. You can be out and about for about 7am(ish) before too many people are out and about. :)

I like some of Roby Bon's pics because it is seeing the place through the eyes of a local, and pics most of us wouldn't think of, and he is a of course able to take advantage of different weather situations most may never see during a trip. I think he commented on a couple of my pics that he knew some of the people in my pics. :LOL: And I don't take too many pics of people.

Last edited:
I couldn't be bothered taking a load of kit so bought a 28-300, did fine :)

I couldn't be bothered taking a load of kit so bought a 28-300, did fine :)

I’m looking to take the right kit but dont want to buy another lens covering the same fl’s i have already

I went last September with my D750, 24-120 & tripod and didn't want for anything else lens wise.

Can you cut down on lenses and take a teleconverter? I know you will lose a couple of stops but if you're tripod mounted might be ok. I remember taking my 50-200 and finding it very restrictive in the narrow streets.

Can you cut down on lenses and take a teleconverter? I know you will lose a couple of stops but if you're tripod mounted might be ok. I remember taking my 50-200 and finding it very restrictive in the narrow streets.

Neither the nikon 16-35 or sigma 24-105 that i’m pretty sure are in the bag will tka the tc i have. If you found a 50-200 restrictive then i’m guessing you would suggest i dont need anything longer than these 2 lenses

I took a D700 and 24-120 f4, never felt I needed wider/longer/faster, VR was handy to have.

First proper photo trip. Spent a little time on 500px re longer focal lengths and now reckon 16-35, 24-105 and 70-200 will be in bag on ff with ff back up body. Slightly tempted on 35 1.4 for street but that’s probably a nicety. I’ve got to get the bag on board with Ryanair so will see where the weight is heading to at th3 time.

Thanks for the comments. Expecting to come back with 90% 24-105 but that’s my walkabout lens so nothing new there

I’ve got to get the bag on board with Ryanair so will see where the weight is heading to at th3 time.
When I travel I have a backpack with my camera, lenses and and laptop. The tripod goes in the case in the hold. Not sure if I would be able to get the tripod in the cabin, and don't think I have seen anyone get onboard with a tripod. :thinking:

In my backpack I have a Nikon D500, Nikon 16-80mm, Nikon 70-300mm and Sigma 10-20mm. Batteries, filters, memory cards and charger. 14" laptop, plus power lead and mouse. Thankfully that all fits in the bag and within weight. Though generally they don't check the weight, just occasionally though, the dimensions of the bag. In my case I have a D300S body as a spare backup camera, but I can't give that space and add weight in my backpack. If I end up using that at all, I use it for timelapses. Let the old camera rack up the shutter count. ;)

Not sure how much a FF set up would add in size and weight. No doubt a dedicated camera bag would be more efficient when it comes to packing in the gear into a smaller area, but I don't want to walk around with a camera bag.

First proper photo trip. Spent a little time on 500px re longer focal lengths and now reckon 16-35, 24-105 and 70-200 will be in bag on ff with ff back up body. Slightly tempted on 35 1.4 for street but that’s probably a nicety. I’ve got to get the bag on board with Ryanair so will see where the weight is heading to at th3 time.

Thanks for the comments. Expecting to come back with 90% 24-105 but that’s my walkabout lens so nothing new there

In 2013 I took my Sigma 35mm f1.4 on a D600 along with a 14mm and 85mm and while it was great I did feel it could have been a little wider, hence taking the 24-70 on my return trip in 2015.
That said I do love the Sigma 35mm!

Same here on tripod in hold. Depends on gear as to which bag goes with me. Still deciding on laptop going or the wd wireless mypro and a backup hd. When just the travel camera it goes in an insert to a walking backpack. More camera gear tends towards a camera bag

In 2013 I took my Sigma 35mm f1.4 on a D600 along with a 14mm and 85mm and while it was great I did feel it could have been a little wider, hence taking the 24-70 on my return trip in 2015.
That said I do love the Sigma 35mm!

I thought about primes only, i’ve got a 24tse and the 14 at the wider end but felt there might be a little less opportunity for foot zoom in venice. I also like the sigma 35.

https://cookphotography.wordpress.com/2018/01/06/venice/

I took 28mm and 50mm - that is all. Most of it was 50mm
Some nice pics Dan. :) I have a few in similar locations, particularly number two, '5577', as I stayed in room in a building on the right of the canal. The smallest room I have ever stayed in, (and not the cheapest :( :rolleyes:) and the place that put me off having a shared bathroom wherever I stay now. :eek: :rolleyes: First and last time. :LOL: My favourite was '5960' btw, nice and moody with lovely light. :)

Looking at my last trip the vast majority of pics were at 24mm, 33mm and 120mm equivalents, so 16mm, 22mm and 80mm with my lenses on a cropped sensor camera. Maybe that has something to do with the 16-80mm being on the majority of time, but saying that 16mm (24mm equiv) was wide enough, or just zoomed in slightly from wide for most things.

I would have thought the best camera to take would be an under water camera :D. Well someone had to say it

Is a Vaporetto a water version of a Vespa scooter ? Never been to Venice as I don't have any wellie boots

Back