Lens choice ...stuck

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
I’m stuck on a choice of a different lens at the moment I have two bodies a Nikon D7200 which I has a sigma 150-600 ,a Nikon 60mm macro, and a couple of manual focus lenses 200mm f3.5 and a 70-300mm both work well .
I also have a Panasonic g80 mft 2x crop with Leica 100-400 and pan 12-60 ..plus adaptors to use the manual focus lenses above with it .

I virtually only shoot wildlife So W/A lenses are pretty well useless to me ,I keep browsing e.bay and classified ads looking for something to give me that different look for want of a better term but every time I find a possible I stop before committing myself, I’m also on a pension which rules out expensive choices so budget is up to circa £500 .. ..

My original idea was a Nikon 300mm F4 and t.c and get rid of the sigma but I would lose reach and I.s ..

Any suggestions

You don’t mention where you feel your current kit is letting you down. What are you wanting to accomplish that you can’t do (or would like to do better) at the moment? Let the answer to that guide your buying decision.

just finding the sigma 150-600C a bit heavy after a recent heart attack Richard

Just bought a Nikon 300mm f4 mike , had one before no I.s but if your sensible it’s a very very sharp and versatile lens with super close focus ability . I will judge it against the sigma and take it from there ... used it on the d300s before so 24 mp should ? Improve it .

Just bought a Nikon 300mm f4 mike , had one before no I.s but if your sensible it’s a very very sharp and versatile lens with super close focus ability . I will judge it against the sigma and take it from there ... used it on the d300s before so 24 mp should ? Improve it .

I always wanted one but i knew i would be crap without IS especially with the 1.4, hope it works for you.

Any updates or have i missed them, how well does the IS in the panny work for it

Sorry to hear about the heart attack. As above, what's wrong with the Panny Leica 100-400mm, I find it a very good lens and recently ditched my 150-600mm on the Nikon in favour of it.

update , I bought the 300mm f4 with a lot of trepidation , it arrived a week ago today next day delivery .. I took it out in the garden took a lot of test shots it was fine lovely sharp shots hand held . then went out to the beach in the afternoon it seemed to be performing o.k ,till I tried locking on to approaching cormorants and gulls when it would not lock on at all.
the next morning I checked it out again on STATIC targets in the garden it was jumping in and out of focus badly ,juddering and not holding focus .. it has duly been returned to the retailer who had it picked up by there courier the following day . cancelled the purchase of a t.c as well ..

so it looks as if I might as well stick with what I have i.e the sigma still has 22 months warranty on it , and still have the MFT set up if things get to heavy .

being a bit peed off about this putting it mildly I bought off of e.bay a nikon 28-105MM D lens ,that has a macro switch on it . and to be honest I'm stunned by the i.q its a cracking little lens and has pacified me a fair bit . already posted a few pics in the macro section

Back